Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinons of the Long tubes out there. I know both Kooks, and S & W make nice headers, but is there much difference in quality, power production, sound between the 2? What do you guys have and how do you like them. With the proper tune is it a very good bang for the buck?

·
The one and only JJ
14,071 Posts
I personally think the KOOKS are overall designed better. Theres guys out there with SW and they are happy also so its personal choice.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Comparison

Stainless Works Headers:
1 3/4" Primary with 2 1/2" Collectors

Kooks Headers:
1 3/4" Primary with 3" Collectors
or
1 7/8" Primary with 3" Collectors

I am using the Kooks 1 7/8" and really like the way they fit. The finish was perfect as well as all the welds and merge collectors. You will need some different plug wires so they don't touch the headers.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much of a HP gain can you expect (I know it depends on tune, but just give me a rough est), and how about ET difference (again, rough estimate on ET).

I just got my 07' SS and I am planning mods right now. I want to triage them in order of best bang for the buck first. So I want the biggest gainer first.

·
The one and only JJ
14,071 Posts
Well i have the 1 3/4 Kooks with Cats and i probably gained about 40-45 HP. I cant tell you exactly as i did underdrive pulley, efans, exhaust, and my (leftcoast) CAI.

It all depends what kind of modding your after!! If your going the forced induction route (magnacharger, nitrous) you want to get the 1 7/8 header and that will even boost you more than the 40. It just really depends on the route you tend to take.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, this is gonna be my DD, so I can't get too crazy right now, it will be bolt-on only, no NOS, no FI, I really want to avoid H/C for a good little bit, just the basic bolt-ons. I just want to be productive with my purchases.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have Kooks 1-3/4" with cats and Corsa sport. I read a few places the the headers are worth 20hp? I went from a 13.6 @ 100mph to 13.4 @ 102mph After I did the headers and a LS7 TB.
One thing with the headers it got LOUD. where I race it has to be under 90db, Mine was 97db. I don't know what it would be like with stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plan for the exhaust, was Kooks 1 3/4" and in the Y pipe install dual cut outs, then run my stock exhaust.

What are your guys opinions on that?

My one concern is that with dual cut outs I may loose too much low end, and it might feel a little flat. I could stick a single cut out, right where the Y meets the stock exhaust. This is how I have my TA right now.

L

·
0 Posts
ive got the kooks and the sw turbo cb and is is perfect not loud when cruising there is no drone at any speed or rpm but when you get on it you WILL be heard.

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
i have stainless works headers and they are 3 inch collectors not 2.5.

honestly i got them because i did a true dual set up so didnt need the y pipe. If i was getting headers and wanted a single cat back best set up by far would be the kooks headers with 3 inch y pipe then the stainless works 3.5 cat back and that would be the best flow/power you can get.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone had any experience with this set up, or theories on this set up (for a bolt-on LS2)...
Kooks 1 3/4" LT's, Kooks 3" Y pipe, then on each section of the Y a QTP electric cut out, then for quietness and cost, factory exhaust (minus the cat), the rest of the way back.

My only concern is dual open cut outs, and loss of torque out of the hole at the strip.

If this set up would work, to me this would be the best of both worlds, loud as all get out when open, and quiet the rest of the time.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS AWD Modded
13,311 Posts
The "best" long tubes are the ones you Have!

L

·
0 Posts
i know a few with cutouts and they only made a few hp on the dyno mabye 3 or 4 hp i would not do one myself but it is your money, mabye if you had a turbo and did the cutout right after the turbo but other than the i would not even bother with one and most of the cutouts really dont work right when only opened a little it is either wide oped or closed

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one on my TA, it is a great mod, in terms of "being seen", it totally negates the need for a cat back (IMHO), b/c now that I am getting older I don't want the noise all the time, I like to be able to carry on a conversation with my wife or talk on the phone when driving (uh oh), so a quiet exhaust is important. But if I want a SRT8 or import to know i mean business I flip a switch and now I have open headers. I have some local guys that have shown 10rwhp on fbodies with a single open 3" cutout. so the hp is there also. My QTP on my TA has always performed as advertised. Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One question I have always asked but never gotten an answer to is how close to the O2 sensor the cut out can be without causing huge tuning issues. If I just installed one in the position of the Cat that would probably "reduce" the need for tuning, but would I be leaving some power on the table?

I know this will be an issue and to properly run this setup you really need 2 tunes, one for open one for closed...right now that's not really an option though.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right now I have mine placed right behind the Y-pipe (on my TA, see pic)

I can see a difference in how it idles with it open and closed.
Tuning the SS for both open and closed would be best, then toggle between the 2 tunes as needed.

What software would you guys recommend to quickly and easily toggle between the open and closed tune?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts