Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions? Why? OBX, Pacesetter, Manzo and others. I'm looking to do a cam swap and have everything except the headers.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
233 Posts
XS power wasn’t bad. My suggestion is to make sure u wrap them before putting them in, get ceramic spark plug wires. They were a tight fit for me and kinda rubbed on passenger frame (had them dented a small amount for the clearance.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
Speed Engineering is best quality for the money. Set of 1-7/8" SS with y-pipe for less than 400 on ebay

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
155 Posts
Yep I installed speed engineering headers last moth, I have no complaints. They are quiet at idle and at 60mph. When I stomp on it they sound great. For the price they can't be beat in sound and performance.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
19 Posts
I installed xspower. Have had great luck with them so far, only complaints are pass side is tight and w/ my Saab Aero AWD, I had to dish a primary for clearance around the front drive shaft.

Anyone experience over temp issues on AWD pass side strut tower upper spring boot melting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
06 Silver stone 3SS
48 Posts
I'm considering the speed engineering headers how has the fit been with those who have used these headers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,081 Posts
I stick by my Maxamizer brand i bought for a steal new, just a thought

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
991 Posts
XS Power here too. Fit in there no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Garage Queen
TrailblazerSS
2,055 Posts
OBX here... only "issue" i had was steering wheel boot clearance. It was a little close for my liking... couple of zip ties and heat wrap fixed that... all has been fine for years...

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was kind of steering towards the ceramic coated Pacesetters. Any negatives?

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
On my awd, ZERO clearance issues with Speed Engineering. My only long term concern is what I would have with any of the headers.. potential for spark plug wires burning up. I used a set of generic "booties" (not the over-priced ones from PCMNC) to protect my stock wires and 1,500mi later there isn't any evidence of them getting burned up..

The biggest flaw I see on most of the included y-pipes (including Speed Engineering) is the merge from the two 3" down to a single 3".. wtf? Granted that this works for hooking it up to stock single pretzel-twisted 3" exhaust, but it doesn't take the head-cashier at walmart to understand that this is like pissin on your boot to keep your foot warm. If you're going to the effort to put headers on, then man/woman up and convert the merge into a dual 3" in/3.5" single out at a minimum. I recommend going to a single 4" out though, with one 4" race muffler. You could go dual 3" the whole way out but then you have the extra cost and weight of 2 mufflers, lots more pipe, lots more cost and ZERO extra performance. Go BIG or go home!! :flex:

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS
310 Posts
Speed Engineering all the way and i can save you some coin on them.

·
Registered
Trailblazer EXT 5.3
11 Posts
The biggest flaw I see on most of the included y-pipes (including Speed Engineering) is the merge from the two 3" down to a single 3".. wtf? Granted that this works for hooking it up to stock single pretzel-twisted 3" exhaust, but it doesn't take the head-cashier at walmart to understand that this is like pissin on your boot to keep your foot warm. If you're going to the effort to put headers on, then man/woman up and convert the merge into a dual 3" in/3.5" single out at a minimum. I recommend going to a single 4" out though, with one 4" race muffler.
I have heard others say that the factory pipe is wide enough for most people who are not making huge power. Lots of people upgrade the headers and muffler and leave the factory pipe.

I realize that it seems silly two reduce two pipes down into one, but isn't it more about the exhaust requirements of the engine?

I'm no mechanic, so I apologize if I sound dumb. I'm just curious.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
I have heard others say that the factory pipe is wide enough for most people who are not making huge power. Lots of people upgrade the headers and muffler and leave the factory pipe.

I realize that it seems silly two reduce two pipes down into one, but isn't it more about the exhaust requirements of the engine?

I'm no mechanic, so I apologize if I sound dumb. I'm just curious.
There is nothing wrong with running 2 pipes into one.. I'm running the dual 3" pipes that come with the speed engineering y-pipe, but cutting off the dual 3" to single 3" collector, then replacing it with a dual 3" to single 4" collector, then 2 feet of 4" pipe to a 4" Hooker Maximum Flow Muffler (best muffler ever, best sound, most power, just search the forums for a clip) and then im dumping the exhaust just before the rear axle.

You could also run dual 3" the whole way out, but then you need an x-pipe to balance both sides of the exhaust (for proper exhaust scavenging) and then need to run two 3" mufflers. This is also an adequate set-up but will weigh more and not make any more power than the set-up i have.

If you run the stock 3" crushed pretzel exhaust after your headers and after-market y-pipe, then you are not maximizing the potential power gain that you could have had. Will your ss still start and run? yes! but you will not develop the gain that you could have had if you ran a single 3.5" out, single 4" out or dual 3" out (this applies to near-stock power levels or full-bolt on levels)

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
And you don't sound dumb at at all bro.. no questions on here are stupid.. well almost lol. You gotta ask questions to become better informed. And I've never been a professional mechanic either.. I'm a RN who used to be a master fabricator. Anyone with common sense, patience and tools who is willing to do their research can effectively make their TBSS more badass than GM did. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
24 Posts
This thread caught my attention. looking at speed engineering, thats definitely a tempting offer. 400 bucks for a 1 7/8 long tube w ypipe is great. i am however torn.. How would a set like these compare to say american racing headers 1 7/8th long tube... i know first hand nick at arh uses nothing but quality american stainless steel, but a huge difference in price... even at shop pricing arh is a little over 1k more for a set of long tubes, and non catted ypipe....

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
350 Posts
Speed engineering is all 304 stainless, the best stainless alloy you can get for exhaust tubing. I don't know much about american racing or pacesetter but have heard ok things about them. Kooks and Stainless works are in the upper echelon of quality but at 3 times the cost, is it worth it?
Early in my own exhaust search I found that Speed was the most competitively priced product. Before buying though I scoured the ls forums and heard nothing but great things and nothing bad so I pulled the trigger.
Haven't heard anything bad about American racing, but they just cant match the price point.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
23 Posts
Does anyone know where to find the Speed Engineering headers? I don't see them on eBay any more, and am looking to get a set.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts