Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, my brake rotors and calipers were pretty disgusting, the rotors more than the calipers but i wanted to paint the calipers anyways...
I started with a wire wheel brush drill bit (works miracles) and brushed the SHIT out of them. Then used gratuitous amounts of brake cleaner and 1 thousand shop rags. And Finally put on 3 coats of VHT BLACK Caliper paint. Didn't really tape anything off or mask anything figures the pads making contact with the rotors would clear a path of silver to shine through again (and it did). Final product.... it looks great! Well see how long this holds up as its only been like 3 weeks since i did it. but here are some before and after pics..
BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS AWD
3,858 Posts
Nice! Looks good. I gotta do my calipers. Got a link for said wire brush attachment? My hand brush takes forever

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts
What a coincidence. I was at Napa today looking at a wire brush and a slap wheel. Didn't know which one to buy.

I need to redo my chipped painted caliper and do a better prep job this time around.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Just curious how long did the stuff take to dry? I'm doing rotors next weekend and wanna paint my calipers, they don't have to be perfect but I just want it all black so nothing stands out inside the wheel. i was thinking of taking a little sanding flap wheel to my caliper to smooth it out some but wirebrushes do work well on a drill or dremel.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
That VHT paint is good. You don't need to get them as clean as OP did. Just get the "scale" off of them and clean em. That's how I did mine about 15k miles ago and they look fine to this day.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
VHT looks easiest I'm gonna pick some up next week, just can't make up my mind if I want red or black...

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Just curious, you cleaned them allot more than most would, how long did it take you to do all four?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,141 Posts
OOF those were BAD! Looks great now. I did mine too about 6 months ago, i just used rustolem gloss black. They have held up very well. Now that you have done that... you will notice every single car with rusty brakes..

·
'07 Trailblazer SS
591 Posts
That does look good, but if you are just wanting to rid of the visible rust.....and want something to obviously last, I highly recommend POR-15. The "POR" stands for "paint over rust". Obviously wash off the area to be coated, and slap it right on over the rust. Works great, and lasts a really long time. It actually hardens really nicely, its more like a coating. The f-body world went crazy with POR15, mainly doing the rusty 10 bolts. I did mine on my '97 SS. Only real tip is to cover your skin.....gloves, long sleeves, etc. If you get it on your skin, it will be there for several days. :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts