Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 SS. I am having trouble with a battery drain from time to time. It will do fine for a week or so and then I go out to start it and the battery is dead. It is a new battery. I can charge the battery overnight and all is well for a while. I have done a battery drain test and found nothing, but again this is intermentit. This morning while checking it I heard a quiet buzzing between the driver side door jam between the front and rear doors. Any Idea's?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the noise coming from a small 2 inch speaker in the upper part of the door jam. It sits behind the drivers left ear and is only on the drivers side. What is that speaker for? Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
'07 TbSS 3ss
206 Posts
I believe that is the ambient temp sensor for auto HVAC. I remember reading past posts about it having a small fan.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,521 Posts
I have a 2006 SS. I am having trouble with a battery drain from time to time. It will do fine for a week or so and then I go out to start it and the battery is dead. It is a new battery. I can charge the battery overnight and all is well for a while. I have done a battery drain test and found nothing, but again this is intermentit. This morning while checking it I heard a quiet buzzing between the driver side door jam between the front and rear doors. Any Idea's?
I believe that is the ambient temp sensor for auto HVAC. I remember reading past posts about it having a small fan.
Yes that's correct, that's the ambient temp sensor. It comes on when the drivers door is first opened and stays on for a few seconds. DCast, how old is your battery? Anything over 3 years is time to look at replacing it soon even if it shows full voltage.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1 Posts
I actually had the same issue with mine. I found the ignition switch not set correctly. It was already installed when I purchased the vehicle. I found if you did not turn the key all the way back enough it would not make the switch but you were able to remove the key. I found the problem when I saw the battery icon illuminated on the dash when I pulled the key out. I was able to turn the switch with my hand and it would turn off the battery light. I had to remove the switch and reset the switches in the mechanism. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Same here. Did everything, even replaced the battery 3 times, no luck until i saw a youtube video talking about how the clusters fail so easily. So i took my chances and bought a brand new cluster and that finally fixed the battery drain.Now i can leave my truck for weeks without driving , it starts right up💪🏻
Hope this help.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I already replaced the ignition switch and it made little difference. The problem is intermittent. Also I never see the battery light unless the battery is almost dead. I will try making sure I turn the key all the way back and see what happens. Also how much was the cluster and where did you find it?

·
Registered
n/a
886 Posts
Batteries, especially AC Delco batteries are not long lasting as they used to be. Essentially if you drained a battery once, then you might as well plan to replace it soon. You can certainly jump start and charge a battery after it died, but its ability to retain power is seriously compromised after that. Your best bet is to buy a new battery, identify anything that might be causing a parasitic power loss, and connecting a battery tender to it while the car sits, even on a daily basis if your parking situation allows it. My original OEM battery to my TBSS lasted 9 years with a battery tender, and I never drained that battery while it was in my truck. You can expect to get about 5-7 years longevity on average while using the tender. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,521 Posts
Same here. Did everything, even replaced the battery 3 times, no luck until i saw a youtube video talking about how the clusters fail so easily. So i took my chances and bought a brand new cluster and that finally fixed the battery drain.Now i can leave my truck for weeks without driving , it starts right up
Hope this help.
Where did you get a new cluster from?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I already replaced the ignition switch and it made little difference. The problem is intermittent. Also I never see the battery light unless the battery is almost dead. I will try making sure I turn the key all the way back and see what happens. Also how much was the cluster and where did you find it?
Found the cluster on ebay . Cant remember how much it was but was less than 200 bucks. It was an oem trailblazer ss cluster

1 - 11 of 11 Posts