Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just returned from overseas and now have a battery issue to contend with. I replaced the battery 3 months ago (AC DELCO) when it went dead and wouldnt hold a charge very well, drove it for a few weeks, then off to desert. The wife drove it at least once a week, give or take a day, to keep it running while I was gone. I get home and the TB, which had sat for 5 days, was dead. And I mean dead.....no click click click, no dome, nothing! So I charged it up to full and started tshootin. Alternator working and regulating like it is supposed to. Voltage on the batt is good.

I disconnected the positive cable and then in series probed the terminal and the cable itself to see what draw, if any, it had. I have a .4 milliamp draw all of the time. At least I think that is milli......can this possibly be killing my batt after a week?

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I disconnected my 6K's and also the wiring harness for the electric fan going to the trans cooler. This is the extent of my elec mods so I started there. I cant think of anything else that would be running it down! Frustrating. Any advise on more tshooting would be helpful, thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
if you don't have onstar, pull the fuse on that... The onstar module is responsible for this many a time...

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Hey thanks, I need to pull this OnStar fuse myself.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it has OnStar but I don't use it due to this is my car and the wife has the Acadia with it. I will check that out sometime today. As of yesterday (10 sep) the battery was fully charged and I took the charger off around 11am. Voltage was 13.22. Checked it again at 10p and I was at 12.75. Will check it again later today.....after some sleep. Thanks

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after charging to full, I started the week of letting it sit. I started with 13.22v on last Sat, I checked it periodically throughout the week and had to open the door twice during the 7 days (but that shouldn't be worth much). I checked it yesterday before driving to Tuscaloosa and it was 12.46v. I cant see why it went totally dead on the wife after only a week of sitting? I pulled the OnStar fuse before the trip and will leave it out I guess. Anyway, thanks all.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,980 Posts
well, i came back from college to a dead ss (parents said they drove it a week before i came home), i jumped it, then drove it to a friends house, did a fun little WOT stretch, and hungout for an hour or 2. came out, thing was completely dead again. jumped it again, drove around more, left my ss on as much as i could (i have a viper system so i used the remote start feature where you leave the car on with the keys out), and it was fine sleeping through 2 nights. im back at college now, so i guess ill have to see what happens when i get back. if not, new battery time. who recommends what?

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you checked how much draw the truck is pulling while the keys are out? Thats how I started troubleshooting. A lot of people like the Optimas but I went back with a Delco. Sorry to hear about that, it sucks coming home to problems!

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am no spark chaser but this is how I was taught. Take off the positive battery cable. Using a mulitmeter start high like the 10 or 20 amp setting. Take one lead of the meter and probe the now empty positive receptacle. Take the other lead and touch the positive cable and now you are in series. Whatever the meter reads is what draw your truck has on it without power. You will here a click right by the fuse holder but that is normal. If the reading is super low, for instance .00xx then switch the meter setting to milli amps. Mine was .4 milli. Not enough to drain according to forums.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not yet, but I have let the truck sit for up to 6 days and it is a little sluggish but not dead like before. I just have to find time to pull fuses and wait for the drop.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
This is what I got on Sale for $34.95:

Sunforce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger by Sunforce

Amazon has them 1 for $48, 2 for $77 (free shipping either way)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=4499857857&ref=pd_sl_4jh2kwfox_b#

Product Features
-Creates 5 watts of electricity for charging and maintaining 12-volt batteries
-Works with automobile, tractor, electric fence, deer feeder, boat batteries and more
-Made of durable ABS plastic and amorphous solar cells
-Weatherproof amorphous panel charges in all daylight conditions-even on cloudy days
-Includes 15" x 14-1/2" amorphous solar panel, 4 pre-cut holes for easy installation, 4 stainless steel screws, 9.5 ft wire, 12V DC plug, battery clamps and Quick Connect technology

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.