Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my cold starts had a "Tick" which sounded like either lifter rap or (I guess) the piston slap I read about in here, sounded like just 1 lifter and goes away after warm up.
I didn't think too much about it until today I dropped off my daughter and was whipping down the highway wide open, got off the exit, sped towards the next intersection and the throttle went "limp" and the engine stuttered when I would accelerate hard? (Check engine started blinking, then went out after 2 minutes) Drove it home with light throttle, even going up hills it sounded like it was struggling. I'm bummed.

Question, should I drive it (limping) to the dealer or have it flat-bedded?
She's pure stock under the hood and I'm hoping this will be a warranty fix:argue2:

Tim

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
44 Posts
Ticking for the most part is normal what you are experiencing is most likely a dirty MAF. Do you have an aftermarket filter? If so take apart the intake and go to the parts store and buy some mass air flow sensor cleaner. Be specific and don't use anything else. Put it back together and you should be golden!

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS
1,712 Posts
I have HPTuners and a Dash Hawk that I could have hooked up to see what code it threw. Since it is already at the shop, just let me know if you need to use it. What dealership did you have it towed to?

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smith Chevrolet, they have been very good in the past and I have zero mods (other than I pulled the bags and installed springs) but nothing in the engine/drivetrain.

All I did was tell them "Please bring me a loaner and flat-bed my truck to the shop" they asked what's wrong, I said lower-end knock, OK sir, be there around 10:00am. I wish they would all just "take my word for it, it's broke"

The loaner car smells bad, but at least it runs.

I'll stick it on Youtube, it's not exciting. The other option is you could friend me, then unfriend after.

Tim

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
For the love of God...shut it down!!!

Just kidding. I did enjoy the big SIGH before you started it though. That sucks man.

One of the rare Diesel TBSSs....

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2008
821 Posts
good catch. at least you will still have a numbers matching engine in your truck when its fixed. phew!

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Tick" comparison videos????

Hey, can everyone with a tick make a short video, so we have some sort of audible reference of what is considered "normal"

My Knock was clearly low-end and if any motor sounds like mine SHUT IT OFF, I'm expecting a full report from the dealer today, so I will continue to update.

MODERATOR: Seems clear to me this threat should not be in TSB/Recalls anymore as my noise is a broken motor, maybe start a "Motor noises" thread?

I suggest it because prior to this problem, I never had ANY tick whatsoever.

Oh, and FYI: I'm at 38K miles, not 39K:jackoff:

Timmy!

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS
1,712 Posts
Smith Chevrolet, they have been very good in the past and I have zero mods (other than I pulled the bags and installed springs) but nothing in the engine/drivetrain.

All I did was tell them "Please bring me a loaner and flat-bed my truck to the shop" they asked what's wrong, I said lower-end knock, OK sir, be there around 10:00am. I wish they would all just "take my word for it, it's broke"

The loaner car smells bad, but at least it runs.

I'll stick it on Youtube, it's not exciting. The other option is you could friend me, then unfriend after.

Tim
Oh I see you're in Fountain Inn. I thought you were on Folly Island. Looks like you will be getting a new motor.

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it ain't fixed yet...

The dealership said the noise is coming and going, not my experience but whatever. They checked my oil, it looked very dark, (Which I agree, it was strangely dark brown when I had checked it when the noise started) he asked if I had been changing it and was I using Mobile 1, which yes it was changed and yes, I had paid for synthetic at my local oil place (and the extra 1/2 quart, I read this site ya know) But I did not watch them pour it in, so could it be mineral based? possibly?

He wanted to change to fresh Mobil 1 & cut the old filter open to look for metal chunks and whatever, so I pay for an oil change so far.

He asked if I was "Getting on the gas a lot" I asked why, he said because most of the LS2/LS3 engines have problems because people baby them and don't "use them properly", Oh, OK, yeah I bought it new in 2008, this is my 3rd set of tires, Yeah, I use the motor.
They changed the oil and I gave them permission to "Use the motor properly" but be careful, it gets a little shudder around 110-115 but you can push past that.:eek:
So, the test drive reveals the engine has no power at high RPM, they pull the O2 sensor & stick in some pressure gauge, they measure 14Lbs of back pressure (they did not say at what RPM) but that it shouldn't be more that 1Lb.

So, My Cats are clogged pretty solid right now, they are getting the Y pipe/Cat from another dealer and I'll know more Tuesday/Wednesday.
I suggested an off-road y pipe, they said no.

At least this explains the burnt oil, I was worried I was going to get a warranty denial for no oil change/wrong oil, but not anymore. Also his tone with me was much more upbeat than our first conversation (I think he may have initially been under the impression I haven't been good about my oil and seemed pleased to find an explanation of the color)

More to come on this boring thread. :popcorn3:

Tim

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny thing is

:popcom:

no more knock??
I don't have a straight answer on that yet, but they are taking there time and checking everything, they find a problem, fix, retest, find the next one, etc.
More time for me in the smelly loaner car...:wtf:

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Nasty knock for sure! Hopefully the new cats cure it.... I know how tracing the ticks/knocks ghosts in the block can be... I feel like a Dr. with the stethoscope listening to headers,block...I think mine is coming from an injector or coil.

Good luck and glad your dealer is working with you. I'm way beyond any dealer/warranty now.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
I dropped my '08 off at the dealership this morning for the exact same knock. I did have a cat replaced last week...but I don't know if this is related. The service adviser said they needed to keep the truck so they could get into it on Monday. He said it could be a piston, cam or flywheel. He did say that it would be covered by the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
2008 TB Pseudo-SS
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Knock Noises

If you get it back and you still hear "something" (or if you have already made a video) share & compare please.

Tim

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
I didn't have the forethought to make a video before I took it in. I would hope that when I get it back, the knock is gone! The pics the OP posted were horrific!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts