Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the SS in today to get the Muffler straight piped and keep the stock res. Will there be adequate backflow pressure as to not damage the engine?

Thanks!:yay2: <------ i like this icon

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
nope no harm to the engine at all you'll like the way it will sound too! But in time like most have seen you might see some material spewing out of your tailpipe in time which is normal it's just the fiberglass? in the resonator

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO the engine wont be damaged or no there will not be adequate backpressure.....?

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
No damage. There are a ton of guys running 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 longtubes w/ no cats and they haven't had any issues related to backpressure (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good thanks folks!

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,141 Posts
Nice dude! Where you from?

·
Premium Member
2007 Trailblazer SS
1,740 Posts
"Anyone who tells you an engine needs back pressure is probably tying to peddle you an inefficient muffler."
Judson Massengill, S.A.M.

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Isn't the stock exhaust set-up only like 15% restrictive anyway? I'm not sure back pressure would ever be a problem with these trucks.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
If you have cats it probably doesn't matter what you do with the catback as long as you don't go down to 2" or something stupid like that.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work downtown but i live out in Sheffield Village (30 min West of Cle).

Got it done at Mikes Auto and Exhaust in Elyria! Came out to be like $53 and some change.

Now im looking for the next (cheep as i can manage) MOD!!!
Any suggestions? Maybe a CAI? those bad boys run like $250 do they help that much more than the stock filter?

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
E-Fans, FWI Intake, Tune. Your truck will become totally different.
The e-fan job is kindof expensive eh? with the fans, wiring, and dont you have to get a tuned pcm for it also?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,119 Posts
That's why I've been holding off on the fans for now. Trying to get my suspension lined out and the Efan project could be kinda pricey. Might as well save up and do two mods at once, like headers and fans, and get the tune/patch done to get the most out of it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,258 Posts
The e-fan job is kindof expensive eh? with the fans, wiring, and dont you have to get a tuned pcm for it also?
I did intake, e-fans, & tune at the same time. Got it done for a great price! I paid 167 for the fan harness, and the Dorman fans were 120, yes you do need a pcm patch for the e-fans. Some intakes require a tune as well.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, i was looking up some info on the fans, is there a big difference between the SPAL fans and just the LS1 upgrade E-fans? Correct me if I'm wrong but for the normal LS1 fan upgrade all you need is the wiring harness, the fans (obviously), and the tune?
And do most people just buy another PCM that they keep the tune on, and put the factory one back in for dealer maint.?

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
If you're feeling like ethics isn't something you're worried about. However, if you have fans in, putting the stock tune in for the dealer isn't the best idea. Might as well take the leap. I'm just waiting for that stuff till my warranty's up.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS awd
1,365 Posts
quick question...( might be a noob but oh well) which would be the better bang for your buck, deleting the muffler or res???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts