Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
TrailblazerSS
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am really considering this. I have searched for awhile, and can't seem to find a complete parts list. Can you guys help, so that my mechanic and I don't get into this and have one of those "oh shit...we gotta get one of these" moments.. I have an '06. Thanks a bunch. Kelly in Crapchester, NY

If I decide to do this.. Eric, I'll get in touch with you for your RWD driveshaft!

· Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,480 Posts
Trade it and buy a 2wd, there should be a couple of threads about this.

· MOST HATED
Trailblazer SS
3,898 Posts
No reason to do this unless you are looking for every last ounce of performance from the truck. There are cheaper and easier ways to make power or gain ET before a RWD swap.

· MOST HATED
Trailblazer SS
3,898 Posts
Not going to lie, I wanted to do this for a while. I found it to be too cost preventative, since I had already bought a built trans for my AWD truck.

· Premium Member
07 AWD TBSS
4,546 Posts
I agree , unless you have a ton of money in motor mods , trans mods,exterior and interior mods there is no reason to go through this transformation....Just sell your awd and buy a 2wd .... I am sure there are guy's on here that have gone this route and hopfully they will jump in and axplain what the cost is associated with this swap....Good luck in what ever you decide ....

No reason to do this unless you are looking for every last ounce of performance from the truck. There are cheaper and easier ways to make power or gain ET before a RWD swap.

· Registered
TrailblazerSS
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really, I just want something I can slide around in. I love this truck, and would love it more if I could light it up every now and then. No mods, but looking for a tune in the Rochester area. One of the dealerships around here has a service writer that is mod friendly, but I don't want to test him! So I will stick with a tune for now, and maybe the conversion. Thanks for the repies so far!

· Registered
TrailblazerSS
755 Posts
going from a awd to 2wd ss i can tell u this. i wish i kept my awd. the 2wd is useless in the winter. and the awd's are sometimes quicker then 2wds due to the 2wd spinning the tires. due the tune, then save your money for a trans and torque convertor and enjoy.:cheers1:

· Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,605 Posts
...Still five years from now when all the AWD parts are impossible to find, and a part list is needed, it'll be nice to have a list....

I'm AWD, but 10 years from now when the front half shafts go, and I can't find replacements, it'll be nice to know I can convert to RWD....

· Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,000 Posts
a 2wd trans and a 2wd drive shaft. the 4.2 and 5.3 2wd have a different drivbeshaft then the 6.0 as well,so you will need an ss driveshaft. dont know why i havent set them side by side,the wheelbase is the same and the yoke i thought was the same as a 4l60, not really sure what the difference is. the hubs are the same 2wd and awd and the crossmember is supposed to be the same, according to the crash book.

· Premium Member
06 awd
1,041 Posts
like everyone said the info is on the site someplace and its less than 1000 to get done with all the parts but unless u have some serious issues with the transfer case or front diff i would not bother changing it. im awd and yes it would be nice to lay some rubber from time to time but its also nice to smoke just about anything off the line. and once you do get into messing with ur truck a good tune, intake and a high stall converter you will be able to get them to spin off the line for a few ft and it will blow sideways and drift without a problem just hold on:)

· Registered
TrailblazerSS
8 Posts
awd to 2wd

i did it today in a 2002 olds bravada remove transfer case acc motor with truck in the air move transfer case shaft to the 2wd rotate drive shaft to ck only rear wheels are moving . take transfer case acc motor heavy gauge red&black wires 9 v battery acc motor will turn clock it till bolt holes line up and reinstall DO NOT RECONNECT THE CONNECTOR AWD LIGHT WILL STAY ON WHO CARES THE FRONT AXLE WONT BLOW UP ! ON MY TRUCK PASS SIDE AXLE SPLINE COULPING WAS WASTED & NO F--KING PARTS THAT I CAN FIND SO I TOOK THE AXLES APART LEVING THE INNER TRIPOD JOINT HOUSING IN PLACE & OUTER CV JOINT IN PLACE SO OUTER WHEEL BERING HUB IS TITE &NO WATER CAN GET IN THEFRONT DIF WHEN THEY START MAKING PARTS I CAN PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER hope it helps someone .http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif pics before/after it got us back on the road

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
"Our AWD system is mechanical only. No motors, computers, sensors, etc. You need to get a 2wd trans or as some guys have recently decided to do, put a 4x4 t case on and leave the 4wd disengaged (simply 2wd). I would choose the first option but if you are strapped for time and cash the second can work too."

quote from another post....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts