Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 hrs? Is what I'm assuming. I just got my new Phoenix in and just making sure I'm not looking at anything too crazy. Anyhing else I should expect? Should be straight forward swap.

Also I was looking at royal purple but it seems there not an approved replacement for dex 6. Any other ideas ?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
2-3hrs

dexron 6 is full synthetic you dont really need to worry about substituting it!

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Plan for 6 hours but in reality 4 hours or less may be enough. I would go Dex 6 on this as well, good fluid and not too pricey. Call me or email if you have any questions for us, no matter how small, we are here to help.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plan for 6 hours but in reality 4 hours or less may be enough. I would go Dex 6 on this as well, good fluid and not too pricey. Call me or email if you have any questions for us, no matter how small, we are here to help.
Thank you Greg, a gentleman and a true scholar top notch professionals! I just got word it arrived so I'm working on getting my stocker back to you guys asap. She's still driving fine. Should be a good shell to start with. I'll be curious to know what was wearing down in it.

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
I had mine done for the converter and it took longer than expected.

Starter, Y pipe, etc, and wtf is with the lack of ability to turn the crank off the balancer bolt?

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I must suck.... a solid 7 hours today and still no completion. Mission failed.

I'm going back tomorrow to finish it. The 3 tq conv. bolts are kicking my ass. any tips there?

my swivel keeps turning and wanting to torque sideways off the bolt. So discouraging. Not only the 3 tq conv. bolts but I still have to disconnect the trans cooler lines on top of the stocker before removal is complete.

It's sitting at the base auto hobby shop overnight. They open tomorrow i'm charged whether I show up or not tomorrow. Hopefully i'll get released a little early from work tomorrow so I can finish the job.

I've already drained the stocker, removed electronics, removed gear shift bracket on L side, removed drive shaft, I'm surprised at the lack of fluid in pan... I thought it held much more... I suppose thats about right though... 2 in pan, 2 in conv. another 2 through out the system and in lines/cooler.

·
Registered
04 Silverado
57 Posts
The first time I pulled my transmission out it took at least 4 to 5 hours, so dont feel bad. Do you have any helpers? I had someone use a prybar and hold the flexplate while doubled up my wrenches and broke the bolts free.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a hand today... Just those bolts are owning us....

Where were you placing the pry bar on the flexplate? I deff. dont want to damage it! but I do have both dust covers and the inspection plug removed.

·
Registered
04 Silverado
57 Posts
wedged the prybar in the flexplates teeth , just held it really tight since it takes a lot of force to hold it without it slipping. Did this through the inspection hole oh be careful not to strip the converter bolts. The bellhousing bolts suck without a lift hopefully you have one.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
510 Posts
I used a screw driver to turn the flex plate from the very bottom and using the side of the hole to pry against.

I also moved the started up and out of the way so I could just get a standard socket with 3/8" drive ratchet without swivel in sometimes i've used a flexible ratching wrench to get those converter bolts out.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wedged the prybar in the flexplates teeth , just held it really tight since it takes a lot of force to hold it without it slipping. Did this through the inspection hole oh be careful not to strip the converter bolts. The bellhousing bolts suck without a lift hopefully you have one.
yes sir, got a lift and a large stand holding my trans up right now.... since it's still in the air.

I used a screw driver to turn the flex plate from the very bottom and using the side of the hole to pry against.

I also moved the started up and out of the way so I could just get a standard socket with 3/8" drive ratchet without swivel in sometimes i've used a flexible ratching wrench to get those converter bolts out.
Bingo! I'm brining my own tools tomorrow. The ass-hat that checks out the tools wouldn't give me a 3/8 saying I break it I buy it. and I have my own gear wrenches with a great angle on them... the ones at the auto hobby shop were straight.

thanks! I should be able to resolve this tomorrow!

·
Registered
04 Silverado
57 Posts
Good luck hope it all works out for you tomorrow, sounds like you'll have it finished in no time. I need to find a lift everytime I've dropped mine its always on jack stands lol.

·
High and Tight!!!
TrailblazerSS
2,959 Posts
3/8 Impact and a long extension with a 3/8 swivel will make life easy. Well worth the investment. :cheers1:

·
High and Tight!!!
TrailblazerSS
2,959 Posts
Did you get it???

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well we conquered the 3 tq conv. bolts today..ran out of time at the shop before they closed. I've got to disconnect the cooler lines and drop her, everything else is off and disconnected. It's a little stressful being on time constraints,wifes got appointments and with my job leaving work early isn't really in the equation and most of all i'm trying my damndest to get the stocker back to Greg at Pheonix ASAP.

Best of all I used no extensions... I used my little girl hands a good bud of mine rotated the flywheel around so I could just break it and start backing out all in one shot with a wrench using the box end. I'll have at least 4 hours tomorrow should be able to wrap it right up. keeping my fingers crossed! But obviously this isn't the "average" time on a swap.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
186 Posts
what hobby shop do you have it on...rattlesnake? if you need help shoot me a PM..i have off work all day and could stop by to help you out..i worked on trucks before a joined and they also made it my job in the military..

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Don't rush on account of the core return, we can wait. Take your time and do this step by step, better to do it once and do it right. It will take as long as it takes.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Make sure to lock-tite the new converter bolts so they dont back out on you. If you get stuck give me a call this evening and I can run over there to help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts