Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I want to hook up my mp3 to the SS using the method of using the audio jack wires put into one of the XM connectors so that the mp3 plays when I choose XM radio.

I bought a stereo cord for the job and when I cut one end off, I got 2 wires and a bunch of copper hairlike wires together. My question is which is which? I need to know which one is right/left speaker and ground. Or did i buy the wrong cord and there should be 3 wires?

Here's a pic.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are you dealing with something like this?

If so, the 'hairlike' wires are the ground.
It's similar. The cord itself is a weird material, it feels braided... kinda like rope.

But as for the wires, I have a Red, green, and copper hairlike wires. The red and green are actually covered in a clear cover that you strip off, and the wires themselves are hairlike, red and green. the red and green are the same look and the copper is different because there's nothing to strip off, much like your picture. Is there any harm in trying this jack out and seeing if it works? Also, maybe it's just the pic, but it seems like my wires are a smaller gauge. They are super thin.

Uploading a pic... one second

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn where are you guys getting these thick ass audio jacks?? i went to like 3 stores today all have skinny ones. So I bought the thickest i could find and cut it open, and I get a silver ground, and then a green wire and a white wire. Which would be right/left... do ya know?

green on the left, white in the middle, and ground on the right
All these wires are such a teeny gauge. My guess is that 22-16 gauge butt connectors won't work on them.... Do I dare just electrical tape it??

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm too cheap to spend the money... I'm looking to hardwire an audio jack into the xm radio boxlike thing. there was a thread on gayvoy about it and i can't find it anymore. I'll do a lil write up if it works right.

I remember stripping an audio jack and connecting the right/left speakers and ground to two wires in coming from the xm radio box. I have yet to take the box out and actually look at it. But my damn wires are teeny as hell... the butt connectors probably won't work for them. they've gotta be like 26-30 soemthing gauge. Very small. I posted a pic n described them a few posts up.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
54 Posts
Hello All, I completed this DIY upgrade and it works except I'm getting engine noise and also I can still hear the XM station. Here are the facts I have Bose 6 changer with rear entertainment when I went to connect with xm harnes there was an additional pigtail for rear entertain tapped in. Has anyone experience the engine whine or the issue hearing xm station. I used cat 5 cables with 22-18 line tappers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm Melvin to be honest i don't know bout the 6 disc changer and rear tv setup, but if you're getting interference the only advice I can really offer is make sure you're connected to the right wires (green/white stripe, brown/white stripe, and black/white stripe [ground]). Especially the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.