Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Iam sofa king we todd did
tbss
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you running?

I have been wanting to get into this for a while now with no real experience.

Any suggestions for a starter. I am thinking some sort of a tube setup...

Thanks in advance!

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Are you wanting a H/T setup or are you just looking for a solid 2 channel for music?

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
I would love to help you out but my expertise is strictly for H/T. Maybe I can learn something from this thread too:popcorn3:

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
I'm not a full on audiophile nut (anymore) but I've got an AVIC Z110BT navi head unit running an Infinity amp with a subthump box nestled into the cubby hole in the back. Damn good head unit and the sub hits good enought for me.

·
tbss
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I after home audio. But I do like ur taste in car audio. My pickup has a similar setup.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
What is your goal and what is your budget? Just want a nice front stage or some nice low end.. Be specific

·
tbss
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good all around high quality. With decent lows but proportionate.

I am going for more sound quality then anything.:biggrin2:

·
Car Audio GURU
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
I own a Car Audio Shop here in Atlanta. I would do Audison amp, and Focal speakers if you have the Budget. A little Pricey but well worth it for Sound quality!

·
Car Audio GURU
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
Depends on if you just want a home Amplifier or Amplifier/Reciever. Im not rich so i run Yamaha home Theater Receiver/amplifier. But if i had serious Cash i would run B&k Components

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
It doesn't look like you have had too much feedback so I will throw in my :2cents:.
If I was going to build a two channel audiophile quality system I would do lots of research/auditioning because sound is one of hardest things to describe. Here is what I would do. Buy the best quality 2 channel amp your budget allows. A high currant amp can even make average speakers sing. I like NAD for amplifiers but Outlaw Audio also makes some very good amps for the money. A good amplifier can survive multiple sets of speakers, I personally have never owned a tube amp, I think with technology being as good as it is today I would stack a quality digital amp against any tube amp on the market.
My favorite part of building a system is speakers. If I was doing it again I would buy a pair of Aperion bookshelf or tower speakers(very highly rated) and add two powered subwoofers( I am using 2 Martin Logan sealed 12" Abyss subwoofers). Two subs will even out the in room harmonics, at least it did in my room. People all have their opinion on speakers, I have gone through Klipsch, Definitive Audio, Energy(current) and Monitor Audio(current) and I have enjoyed them but every once and awhile I want to change things up a little.
Maybe you could tell me how big your room is and if it is closed in or does it open up into another room. Budget is also a huge factor in the audiophile world. I would say 3-5K will get you a killer setup that will last you as long as you want it to.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
Didn't realize this was for home audio.. Sorry

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,551 Posts
For a home system you need a budget and then split the budget to components. Speakers should be 50% to 60% of the total. Possibly more. Once you have the price range then listen to lots of speakers. Take your own music so you can compare between different locations. Also pick music for different qualities, voices, bass, highs, overall balance, etc. Once you have picked speakers find out their requirements for power, amperage to select compatible components. For example, my KEF's are inefficient and need higher power than some other speakers. With a good budget I would buy separates, but there are good buys in receivers. For my home theater I went with a top of the line Denon AV receiver rather than buy a new preamp and more power amps to my 2 channel music system. You may even take 3-6 months listening to speakers before you decide.

·
tbss
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries Jon!

Some details, I am looking for something that would be used in a larger room with multiple listening angles. I am thinking of some sort of DAC sense most of my music is now on the puter. It doesn't need to be anything that will rock the house just something clean sounding.

One thing that I have looked at is the Peachtree Nova but have not listen to it yet. http://www.crutchfield.com/s_731NOVABG/Peachtree-Audio-Nova-Black.html?tp=202
But open to looking into other types of setups.

I think my next step is to go to the big audio places here in town.

Keep the advise coming. :notworthy:

·
Registered
391 Posts
AVSforum is a great place. Read a lot of good reviewws on HIVI's Swan Diva's. I drooled over them for some time, and finally jumped on a used set last year. Listen to a lot of music. I have them running on a 354 Harman Kardon HT Reciever. I have heard thise are amazing on a good Emotiva setup. Check out Emotiva for amps and a reciever. Here is the Link for Swan. I would look at Either Theaudioinsider.com, or ozhometheater. They are partners, so either one can help you imensely. Downfall with the Swan's is that they are internet only. A lot of people compare them to B&W 800 Series speakers. I can't personally tell you yes or no, as I have not auditioned the B&W 800's. Here is the Emotiva Stereo Pre to get you started, just add either one of their two channel amps, or another of your choice. http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm Now for the Swans http://www.ozhometheater.com/ozht_prodcat_htspeakers_floorstanding_6.1bc.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts