Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some direction on a basic system to add to a house I am building. I need to get some wiring installed as the drywall guys should start end of next week.

The system can be pretty basic and I can cover most areas with motion.

I need a keypad on the first level and one in the master bedroom that will allow me to arm,disarm and view what zone has been tripped.

Have been looking at the Honeywell/Ademco Lynx plus system.

There is a diverse bunch of talent on here so I thought I would toss it out here.

Thanks !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Just run cat 6 wiring drops to all windows, doors, switches and wall plates and bundle it up to the garage. That will give you the option of installing any system available any time down the road.

If you do what I did building my house, I did that and speaker wiring to multiple points, which let me hook up surround sound with in ceiling speakers. Just remember, once the drywall is up, additional wiring is an expensive thing.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Early last month I began looking around to upgrade the security system in my business. Its has been about 10+/- years since the last time this system even had maintance "If it ain't broke don't fix it" I must say that I was a bit skeptical about wireless systems vs wired systems. I must say I am impressed by this and my choice of going wireless its a bit more expensive equipment wise but just as good if not better.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
490 Posts
Rich, If you plan to do it yourself then I would suggest buying a spool of wiring from Tributaries. They make wiring bundles that have security, speaker, network etc. all in one bundle which saves time and money and makes things really simple plus gives you ton of flexibility down the road for whenever needs or wants change. Hope this helps and love the styling of the house! Take care

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD
4,748 Posts
I'm in SA right now, sexy bitch, but I'm down to help you (physically, or research) whenever you need.

I don't know anything specific to security systems, but I might stay at a Holiday Inn next weekend.:bum:

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,062 Posts
This Is Exactly What I Do For A Living. I Know You Commented On My "Before & After" Thread Of The Wiring I Just Did To My TBSS.
Looks much better.

That before picture is aweful ! At first I did not recognize it as a TBSS.
Here Is What I Do. You Don't Want A Ton Of Wire In One Location, It Will Drive You Crazy. You Want To Run All Of Your Phone And Cable Wiring To The Same Location As All Of Your Electrical Service. You Can Then Install A Media Can To Finalize All Of Your Connnection.
Run Two Cat6 Wire To Every Bedroom (One For Telephone And One For Internet Access) As Well As Two RG6 Coax Feeds (One For Cable T.V. And The Second If You Ever Do Sat T.V. And Want A DVR). I Ususally Run A Phone Jack To Both Sides Of The Master Bed As Well As Any Sort Of Master Sitting Area And The Master Bathroom (Wall Jack Near The Toilet). If You Plan On Having A Home Office I Double Everything And Place the Outlet Locations On Opposite Sides Of The Room (This Way If You Ever Move The Desk You Still Have The Wiring You Need For Multiple Phone Lines Or Internet Connection.

For Your Security System You Want To Put The Main Box Somewhere That No One Working In Your House Will Find It By Accident, Like The Master Bedroom Closet. Then You Need to Run Wires For The Keypads (Usually One At The Front Door Area, Garage/Side Door Entrance And The Master Bedroom) I Run Two 22Guage/12Conductors (One For The Keypad And One As A Splice Cable) Now Instead Of Running All Of Your Doors, Windows And Motion Detector Up To The Main Box You Can Do A Shorter Run To The Nearest Keypad. For Your Doors And Windows Run A 22Guage/2Conductor Twisted Pair, And Your Motion, Glassbreak And Smoke Detectors Run A 22Guage/4Conductor. Run A 22/2 For Your Sirens, I Put One Inside The 2nd Floor Return Duct (This Will Echo Throughout The House) And Another One At The Attic Vent Or In The Attic Sofit (So It Can Be Heard Outside). I Also Run A 22/2 For A Strobe Light And Mount It Right Outside The Garage (This Way If You Come Home And Someone Did Break In And The Sirens Have Timed Out You Will See This Light Flashing Warning You Not To Enter The House Alone Or With Caution) Plus If the Police Have To Respond At Night Instead Of Them Trying To Find An Address In The Dark They Just Go To The House Where They Hear The Attic Siren And Has A Flashing Strobe Light Outside.

For Home Audio. If You Want Music Out Back You Can Run 18/4 Past The Pool And Install Rock Speakers Facing Back Towards The House, As Well As Speakers On Either Corner Of The House Facing Rear. Run These Wires Back To Your Media Center. Usually A Rack System Located In The Family Room Or A Closet. Also Run 18/4 To Speakers Throughout The House (Usually Two Speakers In Each Room) I Say 18/4 Just incase You Want To Install The Single Speakers That Are Left & Right Sound Out Of Each (This Way You Get Sterio Sound Out Of Each Speaker, Not Mono) If You Plan On Controlling Each Room Sperately Then You Should Run Two Cat6's To Each Light Switch Location So You Can Mount A Control Pad In Every Room.

Where Ever You Plan On Mounting And Flat Screen T.V. You Shoud Run A Flexable 2" Conduit From Behind The T.V. To Where You Plan On Locating Your Cable Boxes. This Way You Can Snake Your HDMI Feeds After The Walls Are Finished. You Also Want To Have The Electrician Install A "Clock Outlet" In These Locations.

You Should Also Run A Few (I'd Say Atleast Two Or Three) 2" Conduits From You Utilities Room To You Attic. This Way If You Ever Need To Run Anything Down The Line (Sat T.V. Wires, Phone, Cable, internet, Electrical, Heat Or A/C Feeds) Anything Like That You Wonn't Have To Open The Walls.

Hope This Info Will Be Useful.

·
Administrator
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the pointers.

I have network ran everywhere. I am in the computer business so my company installs networks so that was a breeze. As far as phones I really dont care much and we have phones wired into the house to my demarc (for DSL if needed) and to a jack in the kitchen and to my office which is good enough for me. Everything else is cell phones.

I have cable to 8 locations in the house for TV. The TV in living room on wall has a box behind it for power and one with a 2" conduit to the basement to pull whatever I want over to the media shelves we are building in. I have coax and network there already but there is room for RGB, HDMI ,etc, etc.

Just wasnt sure what to pull into the keypad locations so am going to set a box and pipe 1" conduit up and down. This drops me to the basement and brings me up into garage attic (behind master walkin closet).

Vinnie any recommendations on what to buy for system? It doesnt need to be elaborate and I am going to try to catch most with motion.

I forgot about the strobe so glad you brought that up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts