Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. The Mark VIII fans and Taurus fans are significant upgrades in the Mustang world. Only downside to the Mark VIII fan is it pulls like 42A when running on high...

I also came across this link w/ really good prices on them

http://www.callieskustoms.com/CalliesKustoms-Fans.html

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,012 Posts
just a question, but why? what's wrong with what works now?

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
Someone has done it because I recently saw it listed in his sig. I've been thinking of trying it myself.

I got a buddy that just put one in his 64 chevy p/u he's building to keep up with the 454. That sum bitch moves some serious air!

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
Karch did it....he's working on a second one a additional one for me.

CON: As I recall it spikes the system when comes on initially, but...

PRO: by using the Corvette fn module this spike is only on first hook up bc the module holds the power afterwards so you don't get a constant drain or repetitive spike on the system everytime it comes on.

PRO: By using the Corvette module you can control the fan speed and settings through the ECM.

PRO: The Mk8 fan covers more fin surface area of the radiator to draw more heat.

PRO: The MK8 fan pulls more air than the C6 fan and rivals the SPAL

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Two spal fans pull 44-46 amps!

I wouldn't use the PWM module with anything. That thing is very flakey and will almost definitely screw up on a 07+ with a fan that big.

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a question, but why? what's wrong with what works now?
I've seen quite a few threads where people are complaining about the stock fans or LS1 fans not being enough. Other people have had issues w/ the C6 fans. Just wondered if others were aware of some other options besides the most common. Besides, if the link I posted is accurate, they're about 1/2 the price.

The 100* days here in DFW got me thinking about it....

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Hmm....

There is another good option with the MK VIII fan, using an aftermarket controller, and it works quite well.

Spal's are fine, but they are $$$.

I don't have time at the moment to comment further, but I'll check back later on.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Two spal fans pull 44-46 amps!

I wouldn't use the PWM module with anything. That thing is very flakey and will almost definitely screw up on a 07+ with a fan that big.
The MK VIII fan will, if hooked up straight to battery, pull 87.5A for a moment (12.6VDC battery, perhaps less if running off the alternator), but with the C6 module or other soft-start controller, it won't hit the system like that.

Also, the MK VIII will pull 37.5A on high speed if, again, wired directly to the same battery. I did not test the current draw with the higher alternator output (14.0-14.5VDC). I assume it would, perhaps, be less, but it could be the same.

I have had it installed along with Alvin's 2-battery cable upgrade kit for about 14 months, in as hot as 113F, and, so far, it's been good.
I have asked a few times about the aftermarket controller, and never once got a response (???). I know of someone on another site using it, and it's all good, or was at the time of my inquiry.

I actually have the aftermarket controller in my garage, as I was going to put it in my Goat, but since I might sell the Pontiac, it is sitting still.
I will probably switch to the aftermarket controller in a couple of years, and try to keep the truck under 190F and ignore GM's OS limitation.

I also have a Taurus fan, and have tested it when I tested the MK VIII. The Taurus fan is very good as well, and my buddy has it in his 1973 540 HP Pontiac Grand Am, with a 455.
The main difference is the Taurus fan is 16", while the MK VIII fan is 18", and it fits pretty well, IMO.

Since I'm a hot rodder, and a Pontiac one at that, I've been improvising for 25 years. I'm also a M.E., so I tend to research things first, test if I can, and research some more.

The fact that my TBSS is my DD, and I put, to date, 57K miles on it in the 39 months I've had it, so down time, either planned or not, must be kept at a minimum.

I have a couple of pictures, if requested, but I can tell you the shroud covers about all but around 3" on the side of the core, as it really does fit the vertical very well.
One thing I would like to see is 10 gauge wiring used for power, and 10-12 gauge used to the fan, but it may be overkill.
I also had to research for the connector type, as I got no assistance from anyone, which took quite a bit of time.

I hope this helps some. If you have specific questions, shoot me a message.

·
Registered
tbss. duh.
836 Posts
Jimmy, did you have GTO fans? Plus, you have a much bigger engine! LOL
yeah i've got the dorman fbody fans. although i think you pointed out that they weren't sitting that flush against the rad, i don't know if i didn't seat them right when i reinstalled the radiator. whatever... i want those spals damn it /jerk

they work fine when putting around town (driving like a regular person), but when i drive hard in mid day heat they don't keep up.

·
Registered
tbss. duh.
836 Posts
Why can't the blades on LS1 fans be changed out to spal blades?:dunno:
because...

fan motors have two properties, HP and RPM. i don't know the specs of the spal fans, but assuming they are the same RPM, then the slope of the blades must be increased requiring a larger HP motor.
unless they are higher rpm... again there are multiple variables that affect cfm

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
yeah i've got the dorman fbody fans. although i think you pointed out that they weren't sitting that flush against the rad, i don't know if i didn't seat them right when i reinstalled the radiator. whatever... i want those spals damn it /jerk

they work fine when putting around town (driving like a regular person), but when i drive hard in mid day heat they don't keep up.
I remember those fans now. I do believe the fan shroud needs to be seated up against the radiator to keep the truck running at its coolest. Try readjusting the shroud and take another run and see what your temps are.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts