Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After all said and done the bill was 6461.89 I drove it 1200 miles did not launch it once all highway miles 3rd and 4th gear I felt it skip yesterday on the highway a grand or two and it blew out today. What could be the mechanics issue did he not soak the clutch bands? to make them burn out so fast? any help would put me in the ballpark for questions to ask...Anyone's opinion will help me.thank you Font Newspaper Paper Paper product Publication

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are a lot of reasons from clearances to proper shims and the right application of bearings in the right direction…. You wouldnt get an honest opinion from the same shop that built it to tell you why it failed

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
312 Posts
a reputable shop should have warrantied it for you. I had a very similar experience where my new level 5 transmission failed after 6 months exactly, which coincidentally was when my warranty expired. I was lucky enough to have conducted business with a good person. He completely rebuilt it again free of charge. You should press them to do the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very reputable shop they came highly recommended in my area he has done quit a few rebuilt t.b.s.s He gave me a one year or 12000 mile warranty up to 650 h.p and is standing by his work. would be no charge but I'm having him put in a transmission cooler for an extra $300 this Monday thank you all for the information given

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
903 Posts
Was it just burnt clutch packs, and which one, if they have got it apart yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
After all said and done the bill was 6461.89 I drove it 1200 miles did not launch it once all highway miles 3rd and 4th gear I felt it skip yesterday on the highway a grand or two and it blew out today. What could be the mechanics issue did he not soak the clutch bands? to make them burn out so fast? any help would put me in the ballpark for questions to ask...Anyone's opinion will help me.thank you View attachment 103198
What was "skipping"?
Clutches and bands will get as wet as they can in just a few moments after each first shift - so dry "bands" and clutches is a non-problem.

Many shops (and I) built with dry parts to set the clearances and they will be wet before the fluid gets topped off while it's still on the rack. Don't worry.

BUT --- you unfairly stated that it cost that amount for a rebuilt transmission and that's not totally true.

You had a lot of other things done --- and I'm not totally sure you haven't had some other part fail - do you still have control of the vehicle?

Is the fluid black or shades of that? Things can happen and a good shop will want to get back into the unit to see what happens.

This could be a fault of the installer and not the builder ... so there's that too.

There's too little information in your post to form a good opinion.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
312 Posts
Yes true,
In my case the installer messed up putting one of the coller fittings on the steel-braided hose (a common mistake if yhou arent careful) and thus tranny fluid leaked all over the underside od my truck. Losing 2-3 quarts was enough to burn up the 2/4 gear belt (or so it is thought). The installer of course denies responsibility, even after I paid to run those lines too.......so chalk it up to lesson learned.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
312 Posts
before someone asks:
I had steel braided line run because it was to a Derail dual-fan transmission cooler mounted inthe right brake duct. The stock radiator was replaced with an FSR dedicated coolant radiator (no Trans fluid)
In retrospect I wish I had used thr stock cooling lines and simply tapped them at the front cross member rather than running new lines all the way to the transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes true,
In my case the installer messed up putting one of the coller fittings on the steel-braided hose (a common mistake if yhou arent careful) and thus tranny fluid leaked all over the underside od my truck. Losing 2-3 quarts was enough to burn up the 2/4 BAND (or so it is thought). The installer of course denies responsibility, even after I paid to run those lines too.......so chalk it up to lesson learned.
Fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
903 Posts
Lot of pump failures are result of over or under converter to flex plate spacing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lot of pump failures are result of over or under converter to flex plate spacing.

That's true. I used to not be a biggie - but it is now.

I mean ---- an inch was not good, but plus or minus 3/8" was considered OK in the day.....

I'd be sure to get it as close as possible now though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts