- What other upgrades did you find beneficial or necessary
- Would you go Magnacharger again if you had to do over
thanks for your help and opinions.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,265 Posts
Yes to all of the above except drivability no issues there.
I have a tvs2300 direct drive
Makes about 700hp awd
Too much for the trans built to level7 specs.
Had to swap to a 4l80 AWD coming soon
Smog is a problem, but I moved to a smog exempt zip code so not a problem anymore.

If I did it again I would spend the time to do a whipple 2.9L because I want AWD 800 hp. That said A Maggie 2.3 will easily make 700hp 2wd providing you have all you need to support that level of hp. I wouldn’t bother with a 1900, they spin too hard and make too much heat to support the same hp level. And honestly they are almost the same price.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, I've heard similar suggestions regarding the 1900.
My issues with the 2300 are the supporting parts that are required such as LS3 changeovers in order to go with a jackshaft and most importantly a new tranny.

Did you go with an LS3 top end such as this:
LS3/L92 Conversion Packages ? PCM of NC, Inc.

Were headers pretty much mandatory too?

A $7-8K upgrade turns into 12-15K project really fast (sheesh)
Then again, the look on that camaro or corvette drivers face as they look at the back of your bumper has got to be a priceless one!

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
960 Posts
I’ve got a TVS1900 in California. Wish I would have went with the 2300 after install though. Reason I didn’t go 2300 because the supporting mods would have ran the bill up waaaaaay more than I was looking to spend. And my stock trans wouldn’t have been able to handle it. Even with 1900, after all the supporting mods, bill went up significantly. 1900 still made a huge increase in power and FUUUUUUUN with having regular drivability in your pocket. Oh. And forget about being able to get smogged unless you have friends.

2008 TBSS Super Charged

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,265 Posts
My engine is a forged ls3 so I had already made the change to rectangular ports. You don’t have to buy a jack shaft tvs2300 they make a direct drive unit. Headers aren’t mandatory but your going to choke the motor pretty badly if you run big boost. Nothing wrong with running a large pulley and low boost until you have the supporting mods.

This is my direct drive 2300 call joe at left coast he will get you a complete kit...minus heads

I spent more than I care to say on mine but I saved a bunch of money buying another members used LEP motor and blower then I rebuilt both myself. Buying a complete and built ls3 with tvs2300 kit can easily cost 18k to get it running.

Big issue is taking care of cooling the charge air and having enough fuel, again that’s only if you want to run 15+psi of boost. I have a Lonnie’s performance double pumper fuel system and an interchiller to keep charge air temps low. It’s probably the most expensive way to solve both problems and not necessary.

You could easily buy a complete direct drive 2300 from joe for like $6k ish. Pick up a used set of ls3 heads for cheap and get it running on about 6-8psi. With a stock heat exchanger (included in the kit) a lingenfelter drop in fuel pump module and cheap headers for around 8k IF you can do the work yourself. But your going to have to baby it for a stock trans to last very long at all.

That said I just removed my 4l70 I could rebuild it back to the same specs and sell it to you cheap if your interested. Though it’s awd so you won’t be able to use my 300m hardened output shaft if your 2wd there would be an added cost to upgrade to a 2wd hardened shaft.

I realize this is a ton of information, if your goal is to simply add about 100-150hp and be done with it a complete tvs1900 kit is your simplest and easiest solution. The downside, it will prevent you from making big hp down the road if you decide to up the ante

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,035 Posts
I'd like to hear your experiences:
- did you go with the 1900 or 2300
- What is your experiences dealing with smog checks
- Performance and drivability as a daily driver
- Any breakdowns such a transmission or motor issues
- What other upgrades did you find beneficial or necessary
- Would you go Magnacharger again if you had to do over
thanks for your help and opinions.

Kevin
Front drive 2300 here.
Been on for about 60k miles now.
Love the powerband and all the bottom end torque. I tow quite a bit so this is the best power adder for me.
I broke my stock trans but now have a 4l80.
Depending on how far you want to push it will determine what supporting mods you'll need.

Im currently at about 600 whp on 10#s daily driven. I basically have almost all the boltons on a stock block and stock heads.
The next round of mods are going to be ID1050 injectors, smaller pulley, meth injection, and a 102mm throttle body.
My 850cc injectors are maxed out when I run e85. Ill be needing another fuel pump soon too. I just have a single walbro 450 in tank.

Would I do it again?
HELL YES!
This is probably the funnest most versatile vehicle Ive ever owned.
I can pick up supplies from Home Depot, whoop up on Mustangs and Dodges, and go run 11s on street tires all in the same vehicle.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,035 Posts
Where I live, all that is required to pass emissions is hooking up to the obd2 port and verifying no faults and all readiness tests have passed. I dont have cats, but the fault code can be tuned out so the ECU doesn't even look for it.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,265 Posts
Where I live, all that is required to pass emissions is hooking up to the obd2 port and verifying no faults and all readiness tests have passed. I dont have cats, but the fault code can be tuned out so the ECU doesn't even look for it.

That is because you live in America,
Unfortunately we live in communist Kalifornia. SMOG testing is a bit more involved and unfortunately Kalifornia takes it pretty seriously.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts