Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS AWD
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck pretty much has been sitting since end of November some time. Had an issue with the stock battery. Truck would not start, I would charge the battery, then it would be fine. After a few days of just sitting, it would be dead again.

Got that battery tested, turns out it was a bad battery. Bought a new one, put it in, started right up. About a week goes by without starting the truck at all, go to start it up today, nothing.

Is the ignition switch draining my battery?

If so, should I bring it to the dealer or do it myself?

Truck is an 07 with 38k miles

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
Mike,

It's really easy to do, there are a few how to's, I posted one up with real live pictures... I would NOT have your truck flat-bedded to the dealer....

Also disconnect and reconnect your battery, it could just be a loose connection...

You can pick up an ignition switch at NAPA or any other auto parts for $30-35...

The entire process will take like 20-30 minutes, even not knowing what your doing...

Make sure you read a few of the how-to's.... If I knew you had an issue, I would have shown you how to do it on Monday....

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS AWD
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I'm not even sure that is the problem, but i can't think of anything else that would cause it.

i'll read up on some how-to's.

Is it bad to leave the truck sit with a dead battery? I don't want anything to get messed up if it's just sitting there.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
You really should disconnect the battery when storing for a long time, or you could buy a solar trickle charger and mount it to the outside of the enclosure, and run the charger to the battery (better than the cigarette lighter), I have one in my truck (should have shown you).... I bought the really big one (1 foot x 1 foot) for $35 from newegg.com when they were running a sale... I have a smaller one 4" x 12" in my daily commuter, since I only drive it 2 miles each way to the train station...

Actually it's on sale now for $27.99 with $9.20 shipping:

(it should come with battery and cigarette lighter adapters)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...R&cm_re=solar_charger-_-82-260-004R-_-Product

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
If you have low-e glass, It may disrupt the performance of solar....I don't remember :dunno: But other than that, you're golden!

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,062 Posts
My Uncle Put Those Solar Panel Trickle Chragers Into All Of His Vehicle, He No Longer Has Any Dead Battery Issues. But If Your Battery Keeps Dying There Is Definately A Problem. If You Know Someone With A VOM (Volt, Ohm, Meter) You Can Trace Out The Drain.

·
Premium Member
06 Black 3SS
1,489 Posts
There was a thread about this issue posted up months back. A lot of people are/were having trouble with their trucks not staying charged for no good reason. I think one guy ended up getting his onstar module replaced because for some reason it was pulling too much power. I could be wrong, but I want to say that maybe devus1 started the thread?

·
Premium Member
06 Black 3SS
1,489 Posts
I was wrong, here's one thread, there is probably a few more but I'm pretty sure I remember one guys problem being the onstar module. Not saying thats what your problem is, but you might look here and get better direction. I haven't heard of power drain issues with bad ignition switches... when they go, they just do all kinds of crazy stuff.

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS AWD
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, i charged the battery back up. Going to make sure the battery is still good.

Then i plan on leaving it out of the truck until i start driving it again.

This won't mess up anything with the truck right? Tune, efans?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts