Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSSAWD
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed several threads recently exploring other affordable options to the typical LS1 set up so I figured I'd share this. I know the LS1 fans work well for many and I'm not implying anything is wrong with them, but like I said, just giving hands on feed back on another option. I am running fans out of a 2000 Intrepid and have had no issues yet even in 100+ heat with high humidity and stop and go traffic. Highest temp I've seen yet is 217 and that was sitting still in traffic at well over 100 outside temps. For the record, they are hard wired to come on with the ignition, but they are quiet enugh that I barely notice them so it doesn't bother me having them run all the time. I got mine for $120 from a salvage yard. They fit the radiator perfectly side to side and only leave about 2 inches on top that is not under the shroud. The shroud fits flush with the radiator all around so there is no gap around any edges. I had to do some minor trimming on the sides of the shroud to make it fit, but other than that it was easy to mount up with simple L brackets similar to the way LS1 fans go in. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts
Waiting for pics. :popcorn3:

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSSAWD
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You paid $120 for em? I got my LS1 fans for cheaper than that! And if u leave em switched with the key, why did u not just go with LS fans?
sorry, haven't been on in a while and sort of forgot about this thread. My choice just came down to what I could easily find locally and no ls1 fans were around at the time. No regrets though, they work great.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSSAWD
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
You paid $120 for em? I got my LS1 fans for cheaper than that! And if u leave em switched with the key, why did u not just go with LS fans?
That is what I wanna do with my LS fans have them run with the ignition or manually turn them on or off but it seems like no matter what you need the high priced harness

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSSAWD
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSSAWD
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I wanna do with my LS fans have them run with the ignition or manually turn them on or off but it seems like no matter what you need the high priced harness
I didn't use a special harness. I paid about $35 for a universal dual fan control wiring kit from advance auto and used an add-a-fuse adapter to pull ignition on signal from fuse number 22 in the underhood box. The kit came with a radiator thermometer probe (seen in pic) but I'm not using it since i decided to run constant on with ignition. Very simple wiring doing it that way. It may not be as pretty as the expensive aftermarket harnesses, but it gets the job done for me. You still need a tune to shut off the CEL on 06's and 07's.

·
Registered
06 TrailblazerSS
184 Posts
I picked up 2 sets of the same fans at a local U-pick auto parts for $25 each and installed one in my 93 Lexus SC300 with a 2JZ-GTE turbo swap and one in my SS. It works flawless in both with the exception of the CEL being on in the SS, to lazy to get the patch done yet. I wired the SC with a thermo switch that fits in a existing port in the radiator to cycle the fans as needed and are wired to turn on with a/c is running. The SS is a bit more tricking as far as the same type of switch to work so I plan on doing the patch and making my own harness for it. Until then I re-installed the factory fan but I did drive for a month with the Intrepid fans and it never went over 210 and they are really quiet when on:2cents:

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
I didn't use a special harness. I paid about $35 for a universal dual fan control wiring kit from advance auto and used an add-a-fuse adapter to pull ignition on signal from fuse number 22 in the underhood box. The kit came with a radiator thermometer probe (seen in pic) but I'm not using it since i decided to run constant on with ignition. Very simple wiring doing it that way. It may not be as pretty as the expensive aftermarket harnesses, but it gets the job done for me. You still need a tune to shut off the CEL on 06's and 07's.
see now that's what I am talking about as long as it works I can make it look pretty anyways and working at a O'reilly's I have access to all the stuff especially the stuff to make my own Ls1 harness and it would be under $50 and it would look the same as the one being sold! and i am not worried about the CEL that would be the easy fix

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSSAWD
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As said above, very quiet. That's why I don't mind them running all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts