Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to source the wiring i need for my Massive NX5 amp. I thought I saw somewhere to use 4 ga. Is this correct, not sure how its going to fit. I am wanting to know basically what gauge wire to get so i can get it in bulk. What brand would you guys suggest, same goes for the RCA's what are you guys using now days. Last time I was into this was in the 90's.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Best bet is to buy a kit from somewhere. Stick with a name brand if you can, Stinger or RF or JL or someone. 4 GA should be plenty, and can be routed through large grommet under steering wheel in firewall. Our door sills offer plenty of room to run the wire.

Just make sure your power and RCA's are ran on opposite sides of truck.

I had a 25 foot run of 0 gauge for mine, and had about 4 feet left over, so make sure you buy enough to have some leftovers. Cargo tie-downs offer a good grounding spot, but make sure to remove paint from body underneath bolt before grounding.

Good luck, any more questions, ask away.

BTW, you could always just go to a shop and buy some good 4 gauge for about $2/foot or so, but once you add up RCA, ground, remote, connectors, and all that mess, usually a kit is your best bet.

Just make sure any kit you find has enough primary power wire (long enough for you).

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
156 Posts
i bought a 4 gauge JL Audio wiring kit from a local sound shop..installed it about a year and a half ago and havent had any problems..

·
Premium Member
'06 TrailblazerSS
5,328 Posts
I'm running Jl audio 0 gauge and rca cables ,love em! But I had to buy the rcas separately. Buy a kicker or rockford fosgate kit that include rcas, they're cheaper too.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
525 Posts
4ga should be plenty.
I need to change mine out. When I bought the truck it came with like 8ga I guess.
After doing some research it really doesn't matter what brand you buy as long as you buy the correct gauge although mine already had minster rca's

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
After doing some research it really doesn't matter what brand you buy as long as you buy the correct gauge although mine already had minster rca's
Better do some more research. Some brands (usually the more expensive) run OFC which is oxygen free copper strands. This conducts almost perfectly for what it is.

Cheaper wire uses CCA, copper coated aluminum wire, which does not conduct as well as OFC.

It really all depends on what you want to do with it and how much power you are running.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
I'm full of useless random information.....it's a curse, but makes drinking with people fun.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
525 Posts
Better do some more research. Some brands (usually the more expensive) run OFC which is oxygen free copper strands. This conducts almost perfectly for what it is.

Cheaper wire uses CCA, copper coated aluminum wire, which does not conduct as well as OFC.

It really all depends on what you want to do with it and how much power you are running.
Learn something new everyday!
I actually read that off of Consumer Reports magazine. Although it was for home theater, wonder if thats why?

·
Registered
2006 TBSS SILVER
975 Posts
The NX5 will only accept 4 gauge power and ground. Watch where you mount it because it likes to over heat and shut off

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,332 Posts
I'm running all Memphis Connections power, ground, RCA's and remote. Great stuff. Very high strand count and I believe its OFC. Btw, I'm running 1/0 power through the firewall grommet and under the door sills. Little tricky once you hit the rear seat area. Kinda hard to hide it there but plenty of room other than that. Also have two extra batteries and running 2000w of power though :cheers1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts