Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

amp/subs on stock bose headunit

15K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  LeftoverJay 
#1 ·
i have the factory bose/6disk and want to add subs and amp to it, called two different audio places and got two different answers. one says come on up line out converter for 30$ and your set. which i knew i needed that. the other says it will not work period unless you buy a $100 bypass module because its a bose. whats the deal? ive had a camaro with bose in the past and lineout on it worked perfectly. are newer vehicles different in some way?

#2 ·
I just tapped into the speaker wires coming from the Bose Amp in the rear to get the signal because my amp has speaker wire inputs that can be used instead of the RCAs. All you need is the line out converter. The only time you need the bypass module is when you change out the head unit to be able to keep the bose amp and inputs.

#3 ·
thats what i thought, the guy who told me differently is very knowledgable and has never tried to screw me in the past though so i was confused.

#4 ·
You can do speaker level if your amp will accept the signal; the downside to this is that your getting an input that has been processed by BOSE. This is an issue being that BOSE pulls bass as the volume increases. I used the PAC module that most folks talk about on the forum to get an un-BOSE processed line level input, for like $30 off Amazon, It jumps in between the stock harness at the head unit OR the BOSE amp in the rear passenger side of the cargo area behind the trim panel. This piece also has a provision for a remote amp turn on lead which you will may also need. Works perf, very happy with how it sounds / works.

#5 · (Edited)
Well you could always do a simple line out converter which taps into the rear speaker signals. There are some products out there though that are essentially LOC's but a little higher quality. For example the rockford fosgate 3sixty which allows you to add either a 1 ch sub amp or a 4 ch speaker amp depending on which one you get. The rockford 3sixty is similar to the unit I am running to power my JL Audio w7 which i have hooked up to my factory bose system. Its made by MTX and its called the MTX Req5. There are two different versions of this one as well: The mtx req and the req5. The regular req only allows you to add one amp for a subwoofer. The Req5 which I have allows you to add an amp for a sub and another amp for your speakers. I just spent the extra 20$ for this unit just in case down the road I decided to add speakers. This unit also cleans up the bass signals as well because the factory bose amp tends to reduce the bass when the volume is turned up. This unit eliminates that and let me tell you my sub hits hard as hell with just a 10" w7 hooked up to a jl 500/1 amp and this sub usually likes at least 1000w of power. It really cleans up the bose system and after I soundproofed the whole interior it actually sounds really clean and good. Good luck with yours. BTW i got my MTX Req5 from sonicelectronix.com for 120$ i believee.

#7 ·
You need to use the PAC AOEM-GM24 adapter. It will plug in-line of the radio connector and take the low-level Bose outputs and convert them to an RCA output used by aftermarket amps. The Bose radios actually have good low-level outputs so it will sound good. I just replaced all my door speakers and added an amp last weekend with that adapter and the sound has no noise at all.

#11 ·
i used an aux slot in the fuse box under the back seat...i forget which one, just search its on this site. or some 5min trial an error will find you one under there. i ran a line output converter by the bose amp as well. no problems at all, never even had to pull the hu out.

#12 ·
If you are adding amps or not wanting to use factory amp and need RCA level inputs for amps, you don't need any converter. The factory radio is already wired to bose amp with low-level inputs. Just tap off of those inputs to RCA jacks. It's better than taking the bose output which is not great and then converting it back to low levels.

#16 ·
The PAC AOEM-GM24 plugs in to the factory head unit and the other side plugs in to the factory harness. It will give 2 sets of rca outputs and 1 remote wire for your amp. I ran 20' rca cable from under the dash under the passenger door sills to my amp mounted to the back of my box. Just flip down the back passenger seat to adjust. Excuse the mtx sub. The box was built for a JL w 10. I poke a hole in it last year and use a mtx sub that I bought back in 2000. Still hits great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Left my stock head unit in, for now, removed Bose amp and used the low level inputs into my 5 ch Soundstream amp and replaced all the stock speakers with Polk components and 2 12" subs, and im very happy. Very

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.