Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pull the pulley off my alternator but theres no nut ! What the hell ?
Crankset Wheel Gear Automotive tire Hub gear

·
Registered
66 Posts
You need the internal Torx® bit too. It goes through the socket that holds the splines inside the pulley, still.

.... and it's not really a Torx® either, but i forget the size/name of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did away with that pulley and have been running a regular pulley on a high output alternator for years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found it ---- it's at THIS LINK

It's called an "ALTERNATOR DECOUPLER PULLEY TOOL SET"

Features
• Includes all of the tools required for removal and installation of ADP (one-way and overriding/freewheeling)
• Includes five tools designed for North American vehicles

Black Font Auto part Automotive tire Rectangle

The reason for this tool and your special alternator is to allow it to decouple if there's reverse rotation imparted into the pulley drive.

It was too logical I believe to allow the belt to slip just a tad when you shut off the engine ... that was the practice up to that time.

I can see how marvelous this is and all ... "improve the breed" 'n all ..... but just maybe this is a CEO's brother-in-law with a matchbook degree in Automotive Engineering who needed a job with a desk and an office and his name on the door ... with some hot 'n cold-running secretaries.

I dunnow how this happened and it might just be some serious overengineering for a problem that really doesn't exist ......... but there's gotta be at least a semi valid reason for it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks. I got something similar on order through Walmart for 10$ . If it dont work I'll give that a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts