Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the factory alternator (160k miles on the 2007 TBSS) a few weeks ago with a OEM ACDelco one, and I checked under the hood after driving today because while driving the electrical system starting acting wild and the voltage dropped to 9v on the dash. I come across the positive electrical connection to the alternator in nut and bolt (from alternator) were in pieces (shavings) inside the boot. very weird don't know what caused this but this was a AC Delco Alternator from rockauto. Has anyone seen this before, I have ordered a new alternator under warranty and so further help is welcome!

thanks again and see photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
130 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I took the alternator to a rebuild place. They replaced the stud, gave me a new nut, and told me to tighten the nut this time. They said a loose connection (nut) will do what happened to yours. Tim Shue wins the prize for the correct answer.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same thing happen to me. I took the alternator to a rebuild place. They replaced the stud, gave me a new nut, and told me to tighten the nut this time. They said a loose connection (nut) will do what happened to yours. Tim Shue wins the prize for the correct answer.
Looks to me like it was left loose and burned the end of the stud right off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks guys just going to swap it out when the new one comes, did anyone of you guys replace the main wire to the battery?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
135 Posts
I would replace the cable just to be safe. Remember these Alternators put out over 100 amps. A loose connection with that much amperage turns into an arc welder.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
130 Posts
I did not change the wire. It looked fine. No burnt end. I did add the PCM 3 wire conversion. I have not had any issues since the repair.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer SS
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

Replaced Alternator with a brand new one, and tightened the bolt just past hand tight. No issues at all! No issue with electrical system at all and no fuses blown. Also replaced the battery which was under warranty from costco. I also used all the same wires and cords just cleaned then very well and made sure no corrosion was present. no issue at all 2 weeks since i finished the job!

Reactions: MikeDeez
1 - 8 of 8 Posts