Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
08 TBSS AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOOKING FOR MORE N/A HP. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THINKING TO MAXIMIZE MY CYLINDER HEAD PERFORMANCE, CAM, AND NICK WILLIAMS 102MM THROTTLE BODY, I SHOULD UPGRADE THE EXCELLENT TBSS INTAKE TO FAST INTAKE LSXRT. ANY THOUGHTS/ADVICE? HERE IS WHAT MODS I HAVE:

2008 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER SS AWD

● TRANSMISSION SUPER SERVOS

● EXTERNAL SUPER TRANSMISSION COOLER

● 3600 YANK CONVERTER - SINGLE DISK

● LONG TUBE HEADERS

● CORSA CAT-BACK

● 160 T-STAT

● JBA OIL CATCH CAN

● UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY

● PCM OF NC ATTITUDE V3 CAM 225/235, .61X/.62X, @ .050", 113 LSA

● TEXAS SPEED PRC AS-CAST 225CC LS1/LS2 CATHEDRAL HEADS 62CC SMALL BORE CHAMBER - MACHINE WORK

● BRIAN TOOLEY RACING VALVE SPRING SET

● COMP CAMS HI-TECH CHROMOLY PUSHRODS

● OEM GM ROCKER ARM BOLT FOR LSX ENGINES

● SMITH BROTHER'S BRONZE BUSHING TRUNNION BEARING UPGRADE

● OEM GM CAMSHAFT RETAINER PLATE FOR 1997-2021 LSX

● OEM GM CAMSHAFT RETAINER PLATE FOR 1997-2021 LSX,

● OEM GM CAMSHAFT SPROCKET BOLT

● OEM TIMING CHAIN FOR CHEVROLET CORVETTE C5.R, C6.R, AND C7.R

● OEM GM TIMING CHAIN DAMPER FOR 2005 CHEVROLET CORVETTE (LS2)

● JOHNSON LIFTERS DROP-IN STYLE HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS - SET OF 16

● OEM GM GEN-IV LSX LIFTER GUIDE PLATE

● OEM GM MULTI-LAYER STEEL (5-LAYER) HEAD GASKETS FOR LS2 .051"

● MELLING PERFORMANCE HIGH-PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL PUMP

● ARP PRO SERIES CYLINDER HEAD STUDS (PART #234-4317)

● OEM GM EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET FOR 1997-2021 LSX

● PCM OF NC RELOCATED OIL PUMP PICKUP TUBE KIT TBSS

● PCM OF NC TBSS 4" CAI STANDARD AIRBOX INTAKE

● PCM OF NC AIRBOX INTAKE (4′′ LS7 MAF)

● PLUG & PLAY 4′′ MAF CONVERSION HARNESS

● PCM OF NC TBSS THREE RELAY SPAL FAN KIT 2007+ | 12′′ SPAL FANS

● NICK WILLIAMS PERFORMANCE DRIVE-BY-WIRE 103MM THROTTLE BODY LSX

● INJECTOR DYNAMICS ID1050X INJECTORS 14MM (GRAY) ADAPTOR TOP

● LINGENFELTER TRAILBLAZER HIGH-FLOW FUEL PUMP MODULE

● MSD 8.5MM SUPER CONDUCTOR PLUG WIRE SET (PART #: 32829)

● NGK 3690: TR7IX SPARK PLUGS (PART #: 3690)

● 4 NITTO NT555 G2 P295/40R20

● 93 OCTANE AWD DYNO TUNING OCT 19TH, 2022 (465 AWD HP)

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Unless you're going to rebuild the engine and bore it for a larger displacement and/or more compression, you would have to move on to forced induction or giggle gas.

Anything "bolt on," at this point would be minimal gains in a narrow RPM range, for a high cost IMO.

The cheaper option, might be to drop weight and improve your suspension setup if you're looking to cut your times

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
Unbolt your LS2 motor mounts, pull engine, drop in a 427LS, bolt-on new engine
Bolt-on dual-plenum intake, bolt-on dual throttle bodies
Bolt-on E85 compatibility
Bolt-on a Meziere electric water pump
Bolt-on 5.13 gears
Bolt-on wheel-of-death into wall socket and start cuttin!

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,495 Posts
Port the stock intake for 1/3 the price, a bigger cam, but as stated w/o changing compression your pretty much all bolted on besides power adders.
Pics are not of mine but a porter I found for $350 having mine done this winter, says its good for 25-30hp on cammed bolt-on etc trucks.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: FlomaxSS

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
Port the stock intake for 1/3 the price, a bigger cam, but as stated w/o changing compression your pretty much all bolted on besides power adders.
Pics are not of mine but a porter I found for $350 having mine done this winter, says its good for 25-30hp on cammed bolt-on etc trucks.

Whatttt??? You're going to pay someone 350 to do that???
Anyone that wants this done, I will happily charge $200
This might net you 10hp tops but could just as easily cost you 10hp.. might as well just get a LSXR and remove the ceiling
25-30hp??? Were you holdin your cheeks open while he blew all that smoke up there?
I'll beat someone up to charge you 350 for that first!!

With all the money that gets spent on these 1-10hp bolt-ons, anyone with a potential addiction for speed and power would be years and thousands of dollars ahead just by getting a big boy motor to begin with!

Reactions: RRhodSS

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,495 Posts
Whatttt??? You're going to pay someone 350 to do that???
Anyone that wants this done, I will happily charge $200
This might net you 10hp tops but could just as easily cost you 10hp.. might as well just get a LSXR and remove the ceiling
25-30hp??? Were you holdin your cheeks open while he blew all that smoke up there?
I'll beat someone up to charge you 350 for that first!!

With all the money that gets spent on these 1-10hp bolt-ons, anyone with a potential addiction for speed and power would be years and thousands of dollars ahead just by getting a big boy motor to begin with!
When the runners are opened up to intake size and all is opened and smooth, ya I'll pay 1/3 of what that overpriced piece of plastic is sold for. And for $350 it's someone who does this for a living not someone looking to cut $100 off a price for an inferior waste of time and money to just have to do it again. But hey it's not your money so blow it out whomevers cheeks you want.

• Haha
Reactions: FlomaxSS

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
When the runners are opened up to intake size and all is opened and smooth, ya I'll pay 1/3 of what that overpriced piece of plastic is sold for. And for $350 it's someone who does this for a living not someone looking to cut $100 off a price for an inferior waste of time and money to just have to do it again. But hey it's not your money so blow it out whomevers cheeks you want.

Um ok, not sure what that means, but you must have some experience there that I don't.
#1 There is absolutely, no way in hell, that is making 25-30hp. I doubt it makes 5. I'm talking SAE horsepower here, not RICE horsepower. But Please, Please prove me wrong because this will be the find of the century.
#2 Who are you to call my workmanship a waste of time and money? You have no idea what I'm capable of. I've fabricated 100's of automotive and non-automotive products. All claims about my product were verified by customers and not one complaint. I don't need extra work, but I'll always take easy money... reaming that thing out to a spec for $200 would be absurdly profitable! Have you ever manufactured anything?
#3 Paying 1/3 for that overpriced piece of plastic?? I assume you're talking about a LSXR? You really think that ream-job is going to make a TBSS intake compete with a LSXR?? You must be smokin dope! Swapping out just tbss intake for LSXR will make an SAE 25+hp... so.. FAST is gonna be put out of business once this word gets out???? Bahaha
#4 I'll gladly spend a G on a intake that has been verified, time and time again, to make a real SAE 25+hp over our tbss intake; rather than spend $350 and pray that ream-job makes 5hp.

Off-topic: I've got some oceanfront property in Utah that I'm selling dirt cheap, in case anyone is interested. ;)

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
519 Posts
I've fabricated 100's of automotive and non-automotive products. All claims about my product were verified by customers and not one complaint. I don't need extra work, but I'll always take easy money... reaming that thing out to a spec for $200 would be absurdly profitable! Have you ever manufactured anything?

Off-topic: I've got some oceanfront property in Utah that I'm selling dirt cheap, in case anyone is interested. ;)
Will your port job out perform the LSXR....with proven results?

·
Registered
08 TBSS AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"IF" the FAST LSXRT intake will help match up the mods we already have and maximize our PRC cylinder head performance along with our Nick Williams 102 throttle body and our PCM of NC Attitude V3 cam for a 30+ HP, then it will be worth the extra money to us (plus the intake kinda looks better than the factory one, lol)! Since we are at 465WP now, that would put us right at or close to 500 AWD N/A HP. Reaching our original goal of 500WP!!! We live in a rural area and this is my wife’s daily. The town we live in and the surrounding towns do not offer E85 and such, so it would be a hassle to have to go find it when she needs fuel. We will stick with the Shell 93 V-Power pump gas tune. Maybe we can find little ways to tweak it more along with the LSXRT intake and a good tune to get us to the 500WHP naturally aspirated bolt-on horsepower. Always open to ideas that fit our needs. Thank you all for your sound advice!

·
Premium Member
Sold
6,006 Posts
I ran the TBSS intake and the LSXRT on my truck NA and boosted. My tuner found it difficult to dial in the idle and slow speed driving with the LSXRT. I put the TBSS intake back on and it resolved those problems.

In my ls2 based 402 stroker in boosted form with a f1c-94 Procharger we picked up 13 hp on the dyno from the TBSS intake swap. In NA form we saw 2hp increase. The loss of around town drivablility did the LSXRT in for me.

If you do go to the LSXRT you 100% have to change the valley plate bolts to get it to fit correctly and seal up properly.

This is my real world first hand experience. Your's may differ. Good luck!

Here's a couple pics of mine that I painted black versus the gray stock color.

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts

·
Registered
08 TBSS AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran the TBSS intake and the LSXRT on my truck NA and boosted. My tuner found it difficult to dial in the idle and slow speed driving with the LSXRT. I put the TBSS intake back on and it resolved those problems.

In my ls2 based 402 stroker in boosted form with a f1c-94 Procharger we picked up 13 hp on the dyno from the TBSS intake swap. In NA form we saw 2hp increase. The loss of around town drivablility did the LSXRT in for me.

If you do go to the LSXRT you 100% have to change the valley plate bolts to get it to fit correctly and seal up properly.

This is my real world first hand experience. Your's may differ. Good luck!

Here's a couple pics of mine that I painted black versus the gray stock color.

Very solid advise, thank you!!!

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
I recommend using the LSXR intake over the LSXRT. It consistently outperforms the RT by a few avg. hp &lbs/ft. LSXR also weighs 1.5lbs less than LSXRT
However, the LSXR makes us change our accessory drive to make room for lower throttle opening, whereas the RT fits with our truck accessories. The RT also requires that you take BFH to the wiper cowl to make top clearance.
I've never heard of any experienced tuners having issues with tuning ANY intakes.

Reactions: johnnyoffshore

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
"IF" the FAST LSXRT intake will help match up the mods we already have and maximize our PRC cylinder head performance along with our Nick Williams 102 throttle body and our PCM of NC Attitude V3 cam for a 30+ HP, then it will be worth the extra money to us (plus the intake kinda looks better than the factory one, lol)! Since we are at 465WP now, that would put us right at or close to 500 AWD N/A HP. Reaching our original goal of 500WP!!! We live in a rural area and this is my wife’s daily. The town we live in and the surrounding towns do not offer E85 and such, so it would be a hassle to have to go find it when she needs fuel. We will stick with the Shell 93 V-Power pump gas tune. Maybe we can find little ways to tweak it more along with the LSXRT intake and a good tune to get us to the 500WHP naturally aspirated bolt-on horsepower. Always open to ideas that fit our needs. Thank you all for your sound advice!
Converting to E85 compatibility does not mean you HAVE TO run only E85. The E85 sensor detects the percentage of petrol to E85 and adjusts the tune accordingly. Your wife can run normal petrol for the commuting, then find some E85 just for track day, no adjustments needed. E85 on a NA LS2 is verified to make at least another 20 crank hp.

Reactions: johnnyoffshore

·
Registered
08 TBSS AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Converting to E85 compatibility does not mean you HAVE TO run only E85. The E85 sensor detects the percentage of petrol to E85 and adjusts the tune accordingly. Your wife can run normal petrol for the commuting, then find some E85 just for track day, no adjustments needed. E85 on a NA LS2 is verified to make at least another 20 crank hp.
Really? Wow, thank you for that info! What is required to convert to E85? I don't know much about it. I think I remember the Lingenfelter Performance Engineering fuel pump module kit we got was compatible. I also think the Injector Dynamics ID1050x Fuel Injectors are as well. What else would we need? Is a second tune required?

The sad part is, we sell Ignite Red 114 (E90) racing fuel at the shop I work at.

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
Actually you won't need much to finish your conversion. So it takes 30% more fuel flow requirement over pump gas. The pump you have is e85 compatible and will support up to 700 crank hp on E85. You chose the same awesome injectors I use, which will support up to 800hp on E85. All you need is the E85 sensor and programming. You have 2 options:

This is cheaper option but does require you get it tuned to reap the benefits

This is more expensive but requires no tuning and in fact adapts all its mapping to whatever performance tune is already loaded into ecm.

Here's GMHTP's article on them doing it to, coincidentally, a 2008 TBSS

1 - 20 of 31 Posts