Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bit of advice, please.

So I've had my '06 TBSS for a little over 3 years now. Have taken fairly meticulous care of it, religiously regular oil changes, lots of TLC etc. Then last weekend it died on the highway on the way back from a family vacation. Apparently it's a rod knock stemming from the common oiling issues that I've read about on here.

If I'm going to soak the $ into it to fix this, I'm assuming an engine swap is in order? Any advice in this department would be very appreciated. Maybe something of the LS3 variety? LSX? I'm admittedly not extremely knowledgeable in this department.

My budget is around $8K, and I've got a local shop that specializes in LS3 swaps that can do the work. Something a bit more aggressive than the stock setup would obviously make me feel better about plunging further into debt ha. Maybe some sort of option that would include headers and cam? Keeping in mind that this is also my daily driver / family transportation, so dependability is also sort of important.

Help please. :cheers1:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
When you say rod knock and then died do you mean it ventilated the block? What is the extent of the damage? If it was still running I'd pull it and rebuild with forged internals, some AFR heads, and an LT1Z cam. Also put in the PCM oil pick up kit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
You can do it for 8k but it's going to be tight if you are paying for labor. Around here, removal and replacement of the motor is $2500 just in labor, then parts and additional labor on top of that and your tuning for the LS3.

Might need to scale back a little to stay within budget depending on costs in your area.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,288 Posts
Rebuild your motor. If you can't reuse block get a core an you could do a 365ci get cam to suit what you want.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.
I'm not sure exactly what the damage is; only that there's a pretty loud rod knock sound. Just trying to see what options I have here.

·
Registered
06 3SS TBSS RWD
882 Posts
Pull it and use the block as a core. It will be cheaper, then you can throw some heads and a cam package on there and make it what you want.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
You may want to consider an (Eagle forged rotating assembly). If you google the above words in parethaces you will find some really good deals. It seems prices vary quite a bit on the same item. You will get forged rods, crank and pistons, it will also i clude rings and all bearings. This is great if your a DIY guy or have a buddy that is - as it will save you a ton in labor costs. Like others have said, now would be a great time for a custom cam from LT1Z and some aftermarket heads too. While the engine is out, its also a great time to throw in a converter and front seal in the tranny. G/L with the project!

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
A few bucks? Realy?? I guess that I never priced them, as I always heard they where very pricey. Eagle kit is around $1800 complete. Now Im going to have to google it as u got me curious.... lol

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Not as bad as I thought, about $700 more. I notice they dont advertise HP ratings. How far can they be pushed vs the Eagle products. I have been told my setup should be totally safe at 1000whp even with the aluminum block. But they say 1200 max, even though I have seen others push the Eagle stuff to 1400-1500, most dont recomend pushing them that far. FWIW I did buy the best Eagle product they had, not the regular rods. I heard the standard ones are only good to 700hp and wont hold 1000-1200hp. Anyone have input on how far they have pushed the Eagle and compstar stuff. I dont want to go too far and ruin something as the twin 76s will make more than my setup can take if boost gets turned up too high.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
Advice please RE: rod knock --> engine swap

Depends where you get pricing from.

Eagle shit will flex and wipe out a main bearing with decent power especially with a blower.

If I was planning on over 900whp to last a long time it would get a Dragonslayer And pinned mains along with main studs.

I have seen cheap parts and stock stuff put down a number but it wont last.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much, fellas. I really appreciate the advice.
Engine is being taken out this week. Really looking forward to making the best of an unfortunate situation by getting some more muscle out of the TBSS. Thanks again.

:cheers1:

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Thats what we are here for to help. We give advice because we enjoy the hobby, helping others, and for those that actually help (excuse the wize guys on the forum) - we do it because we have been there done that. I have been building my own engines for around 30 years, and if you need any advice just give me a call. 262 391-9974 :)

Please keep us updated too, we can give you tips on short cuts and other things that will save you a bunch of help if you DIY the job with a buddy. So that said, what did you decide to build or buy?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
233 Posts
like most others are saying, if you didn't put a window in the block then just rebuild it. that's all I did, but I didn't do anything fancy since im cam only. I did a stockish rebuild. labor is a fat bitch on these things if your awd especially. I didn't have the time to pull mine and it was 2k removed and installed. goodluck with whatever you decide though bud. definitely get that PCM pickup tube as stated above.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again. Taking stock of all the advice here.
Walter - not sure yet, man. I've got it at a local hot rod shop that I trust, and they're going to pull the engine and take a look, and then I'm going to go over some options with them. I'll update here as things progress.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, fellas.
Thankfully, the block is salvageable. Having it rebuilt by a reputable hot rod shop that I trust, that specializes in LS installs, etc. You guys were right about labor being nuts (you have to take the body off the chassis ?!?), ha. Will have the heads ported and a meatier cam (not sure which yet) and stall. Also going with the PCMofNC oil pump pickup tube kit and trans cooler, and XSPower longtube headers, and dyno tune. Then I'll drive the truck for the next decade at least while I pay off all this debt ha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts