Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're probably saying, "Hold on a go**amn minute! There's not one inch on the TBSS that is ugly, so watch your fraggin' mouth!" Ok, you're right. But I live in Washington where it rains all the damn time and the inside of my wheels are caked in road grime and I was wondering if anybody out there in the wide world of TBSSOwners has any preferred method on getting this stuff off. Also, anybody have any tips on painting rotors? Not the calipers, but the rotors themselves look like ass that rolled around in a cheetos bag. Somebody told me to paint the whole rotor (a decent coat or two around the exposed, non-contact area (centers and the outer vents) and try not to hit the contact surface). He even said not to worry if I accidentally hit the contact surface because the brake pads will just remove it with no issues. It doesn't sound right to me, but I could be wrong. Mind you, all of the brake components and wheels are bone-stock. Any advice?

My TBSS is bangin' clean from 25 feet away but I hate walking up on it and seeing the nastiness that is the 4-corners.

Any help would be cool. :afro:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,278 Posts
I take my wheels off and simplegreen the crap out of them every couple of months. I live in Texas where we don't know what rain is so rust is not a problem.

Someone will chime in about rotor painting though.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, thanks man! Yeah, I was thinking that a little elbow grease and some household cleaners would do the trick. Wasn't sure if there was a "super" solvent that worked 10x better, 'cause, y'know, I'm lazy. :popcorn3:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just a straight-leg grunt (11B). I was stationed down at Benning for the last 5 years on the Bradley's. Now I'm up here dealing with these Cadillac's. Whoops, I mean Strykers.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly? It blows. I hate the rain and the roads/streets/hwy's are all garbage. Plus, everything around here is tuner-this, subie-that. As for the post, it's a bit older then Benning and it's mostly ran by Army so it runs a little smoother (civies running the Army? Really?).

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,278 Posts
I think all "military" towns are the same. Killeen (Ft Hood) is the same way... It's like the fast and the furious rejects were all sent here.

I hear the Strykers have air conditioning in them... If this is true I might have reenlisted! Bradley FTL

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
Awww ur army boys lol

Ain't
Ready for
Marines
Yet

Lol had to throw that out there... But unlike most marines I like the army... Wish I would have joined army after I got out of marines now...

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
Ill prob do this tomm once it gets dark... Gotta find a brothers friend to help take off the wheels lol back wont hold up to it..

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
I took the wheels off used simplegreen and a scrub brush used for cleaning floors. I live in Wisconsin, the inside of my rims were almost black when I purchased it. Easy to keep clean once you get down to the shiney part. :) I used a wirewheel brush for the end of a drill. Makes removing all the rust real easy when prepping the calipers and rotors.

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Rotors are easy to paint. Take em off, sand em down with a wire wheel on a drill or DA (grind/sand them smooth if you want) and paint the whole thing. Yes the pads will get rid of the paint in the contact areas. Best bet is to paint them with G2 paint but any high temp paint will work.

As far as cleaning them Simple Green works pretty good but you'll need elbow grease and a shit ton of rags or a soft brush. Anything more harsh or left on the rim will eat thru the fragile clear coat. Or buy 22's where you can fit your hand in to clean the crap off when you wash the truck.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Wheel cleaner works pretty well, I used Meguiars the other day and it took off damn near everything before I started to use a brush. Hit all the brake parts with brake parts cleaner, go at the rust with a wire brush and some more brake clean. Spray with whatever high temp black paint you like.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
390 Posts
painting rotors are easy. mine had a ton of rust caked on so i sanded the rust off the rotors (vents also). Vents were very time consuming. Then i wiped it down with paint prep. I used por-15 products so i just bought a small can of their primer and black caliper paint. Painted my little heart out and couldnt be happier with the results. No more rust. Its pretty much the same for calipers except i took a grinder and got off the roughness that comes from the milling. then i did the same process except with blue.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
391 Posts
^ this.

i was just gonna post this aswell. Adam's sell a few accessories that you allow a good wheel clean without jacking up the car and removing. APC or green wheel cleaner will do the trick. APC is as good as simple green, or yet, better! I clean all my customers wheels with apc and no complaints here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.