Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guy's, so back in February I started working for a small family owned electrical company. I started knowing very little about electrical work, but since have learned a lot. I was hired as a helper.

Now, a little bit about the business... It is now owned by a brother and sister, and the sister's husband also works for the company. Let's say he's practically like a boss, because well, hes married to one. Now the sister and her husband have two son's, that also work for the company. And one of the son's wife's work for the business as well, working in the office doing payroll and things of that nature, with her mother-in-law.

Now that that's out in the open, I've been laid off since the week before Christmas due to not a lot of work, as well as most of the other employee's, other than of course the two son's and the husband, and like one or two other guy's that have been with the company for over 10 year's. Which is fine and dandy, this isn't my issue. The wife of the one son, has a brother, who goes to college and, in my opinion doesn't work for the business, but every time the company has a rate job come up, he's some how part of the crew. and the "helper's" such as myself and another guy, get stuck working at the shop, or on other job's were we get paid our original wage's. And i come to realize what can i do? its how the cookie crumbles and who ya know apparently.

But... Today i get this text message from one of the guy's that they called back saying i should call in and bitch... I'm still laid of, like i said earlier, and they called the brother in to work. Who is only ever called in to work when the wage is 40+ an hour. There isn't a rate job going on at the moment, but how does that work!? I'm at the shop Monday through Friday, 10 minutes early every day, haven't been late or called off sick since being hired, and i don't even as much get a call from the owners since they told me they were laying me off. I know I'll be called back, i was laid off back in the summer for a month or two and was called back. But they can't even bring back their loyal employee's before bringing in a brother of the wife of the owner's son, who I've personally only ever seen for one week, while i was working on one of the rate job's, and he was getting paid 40+ electrician's rate, while i was stuck getting paid 20 some an hour for "laborer's" rate.

This stuff is just really irritating and I don't know what to do. It's not like i can really call and complain, because honestly, wheres that going to get me? Shit canned and then they'll pull my unemployment from me, and i cant afford that.

Also, another one of my best friend's who has been with the company for 3 year's, and has worked with electrical stuff all his life, was laid off the same time as me. Though he was in the process of being hired by another employer, he didn't really care. But while being laid off from no work, he totaled his car, and in the wreck, broke his wrist. And when he went in to tell the owner's everything, they informed him that they would decline his unemployment had he tried to file, seeing as how he can't actually work. And that's fine and dandy as well, completely understandable. So, he get's the call from the other employer and has a start date. He nicely decides to tell work that he will be done in another two week's, even though he was still laid off. The very next day, after putting in his two week's notice, they called him into work for one day, to carry a latter around for the boss's husband... and that was all he did. For one day. Like seriously!?

I'm just so fed up... Any idea's or thoughts of this? Am in the wrong for thinking this way!? ^69

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Um... that is the nature of most family owned businesses, unfortunately. Find another job.

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um... that is the nature of most family owned businesses, unfortunately. Find another job.

I know, I realize that, this isn't the first family owned business I've worked for. But, is what they're doing even legal? adding family to the payroll when the wage is over 40 an hour, and not doing shit to help out their loyal employee's? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Hook up with one of female family members and well..... Your family. Problem solved

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hook up with one of female family members and well..... Your family. Problem solved

haha, the wife of the son is a flirt, and isn't bad looking... but seeing as how she's only ever been with her husband, and they have 3 kid's including a set of twin's, i'm better off looking for a new job.

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
haha, the wife of the son is a flirt, and isn't bad looking... but seeing as how she's only ever been with her husband, and they have 3 kid's including a set of twin's, i'm better off looking for a new job.

Blackmale = job security........

:2cents:

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Blackmale = job security........

:2cents:
Ok, either that is really funny... or your screwed up spelling is funny.

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Jason, hook up with one of the family's men... they may leave their wifes, and you'd be on the back of the bus again...

·
Iam sofa king we todd did
tbss
1,145 Posts
That shit is fucked up! They will gets what is coming to them. Look for another job and quit when they get busy! :fist:

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,973 Posts
:iamwithstupid:Nepotism is alive and well. That's just part of the shit you have to deal with, when you work in and for a family owned business.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS AWD
3,858 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 SS3 Silverstone
3,805 Posts
If you were in that position....would you feed your family or someone else first?

I feel your pain man, but you should look for another job. Good luck too.
:cheers1:

·
Registered
07 Trailblazer 3SS
515 Posts
unlike a lot of you guys on here I wouldn't take 6 in the seat from the men in the company!! I would call my states Attourney generals office and check on the labor laws, I know here in Mass they have a hotline for issues like this and will tell you where you stand or to bend over if you choose :boff:

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
If you were loyal leave it at that. Sometimes you get screwed. You can also know who you will recommend now and what not to do at your next job when becoming an upper management roll. This has to be taken as a learning experience for you not some retaliation point where you are gonna get even cause they have tough times and someone they are related to is getting preferred treatment. Chalk it up as a dont do this when you're in their shoes.

It says a lot character wise when you take the high road and find a new position. Who knows you may end up getting asked back later at a higher rate but for now sounds like you're out of a job either way so if you can go get another job that has more consistent employment. These guys sound like the guarantee of work is slim.

We all take hits sometimes too where we work for less than what we are worth for a little time and then go looking while we are making money. :cheers1:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Dude, Bone her. /jerk then Promptly tell her when she rolls off, that next time someone needs to be called in for wage work. :Dr_Evil: that someone better be you, or you'll show the video to her Hasbeen. :doh: problem solved....:rock:

·
MILFs dont drive minivans
07 TrailblazerSS
6,884 Posts
Thats just the name of the family owned business game... it sucks, but too much family involvement in a business just creates more of a shit storm for non-related employees when things go down. (believe me I know all about it)
Take what you've learned from them and add it to your resume - apply it at your next job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts