Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how hard of a task this is? i would imagine it's not too bad, but i don't want to dive into it if there's any tricks or tips i need to know.

right now, my tranny won't shift into 1st manually. i can push it all the way back and it stays in 2nd (light on dash too). if i click it into the 2nd gear position, it'll stay in 3rd, but if i click just a tad into the 1st position and back into 2nd, it'll go. leads me to believe the cable is just off a bit.

so, any tips?

·
Registered
06 TBLS
524 Posts
First things to check is make sure everything is tight on the shifter assembly at the transmission or even in the dash if you have any work in these areas.

Normally back in the day when I would adjust a cable. I would have a partner in the vehicle while I would adjust the cable. I would start to do this while the shifter was in neutral with the handle being held torwards reverse. At which point the cable would not be connected and I would loosen up the adjuster. After doing this make sure that the transmission is in the neutral position as well. Reattach the cable end with the adjuster still loose. At which point make sure that there is no slop in the cable between the shifter lever and the cable bracket. When all is well tighten the adjuster. In your case I believe to adjust the cable there is a horseshoe style retainer in the cable assembly right at the shifter bracket. Vince B

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
All the trans shift cable adjusting is done at the transmission end of the cable. Put the truck in park. Crawl underneath and look at the cable end where it hooks to the trans. You'll see a white clip (I believe it's still white in color can't remember for certain) in the plastic end of the shift cable at the shift lever. That's the adjustment clip. To unsecure the clip, you'll see that on top of the cable there is a locking tab keeping the white clip in place. Slide that locking tab towards the rear of the truck. Pinch the two legs of the clip protruding from the bottom of the cable and and push the white adjustment clip upwards, toward the floor of the truck. The clip will not come out all the way, just to let you know. When that clip is in the raised position you'll see that the cable can slide in and out which is where the adjustment is. The cable should be slightly spring loaded which provides the correct tension and takes out the necessary slack out of the cable. As long as the shifter is in park and the trans lever is all the way foreward, you can just reseat the clip and then the lock tab for the clip.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome. thanks guys. i might crawl under there tomorrow and adjust it one little step at a time until it feels good

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
planning on doing it this weekend, but had a quick question. what do you guys think the chances are of this thing having a replacement tranny in it and they just didn't get it adjusted right? i'm the 3rd owner and didn't see any record of it having a tranny, but it has 76k miles now and the tranny still acts fine. i thought maybe it's been replaced, but not reported

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
planning on doing it this weekend, but had a quick question. what do you guys think the chances are of this thing having a replacement tranny in it and they just didn't get it adjusted right? i'm the 3rd owner and didn't see any record of it having a tranny, but it has 76k miles now and the tranny still acts fine. i thought maybe it's been replaced, but not reported
I was thinking to myself earlier that it is very odd for a shift cable to just go out of adjustment unless the shifter assembly or trans was replaced. We hardly ever have to adjust cables from wear and tear. We usually adjust them when a component is replaced.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
106 Posts
This thread is old as hell but it saved my ass today. I had replaced my shift bushing thinking that was the issue I was having. After replacing the bushing I still felt it was not correct. Running through the gears I noticed I could not shift into first. I followed jay4speeds method and it took the slop out of my cable.
Long story short, the cable is adjustable follow the instructions from jay4speed and just be gentle. After all it is just cheap gm plastic down there that has been through tons of heat cycles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saved my ass as well. Thanks for the info. There is two locks one you slide back to get to the white grey lock that slides down once you slide the outer lock back. then remove slack and push back in white lock then check for first and park. I also had the sleeve pop out that protects the cable which popped back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts