1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System Details:

2 Kicker Comp C10's (4 ohm each)
1 Kicker 652xi 2 channel amp - wired direct to battery, grounded at factory ground location behind right rear panel. I've had this amp since 1999 but have not used it in the last 4 years.

I used the PAC ADD-GM24 harness and a Metra Axxess LOC for RCA signal out to the amp (using the front speaker wires) so I didn't have to cut any factory wires. I tapped the pink wire in the harness for my remote wire. I followed these instructions but added the LOC instead of RCA connectors. I installed the patch harness between the factory wiring and the Bose amp in the right rear of the cargo area.

http://www.lazyassgeek.com/c6-stereo-information/how-to-create-an-rca-output-using-pac-add-gm24/

After hooking everything up I couldn't get any sound through the subs. I check voltage all around and this is what I found.

Using the ground at the amp and a factory ground I measured 12.9 volts on the amp power wire and 6.8 volts at the remote wire. I bypassed the LOC and was able to get a 6.5 speaker to play through the front and rear speaker wires out from the PAC harness. Thinking the LOC may be bad I tried another LOC and still no joy. I also tried another amp taken from my neighbors car that worked when I removed it.

Next I tried soldering RCA's onto the front speaker output from the PAC harness in place of the LOC exactly as in the link above. Here is the harness I used with the RCA's soldered in place.

Here is the tap in place for the remote

Here is the another view of the harness

When I wired everything up with the RCA ends I got a loud squelch/feedback sound from the front speakers. So I turned off the stereo and rechecked everything. I only get the sound when both RCA's are connected to the amp. Either connected alone puts out no sound or squelch. I plan to solder RCA's onto the rear speaker outputs tonight while I'm at work and try them in the morning. I will also be trying a different amp again as well.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what might be causing the trouble. I plan to keep the stock H/U and speakers for now and only want to add a little more bass to the system.

Sorry for the size of pics and the poor quality (iphone).

Thanks in advance for all assistance, John

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I removed the PAC patch I was using and wired the LOC to the factory harness gray/tan, green, Lt green. I also ran the remote to fuse # 33 under the rear seat to eliminate another possibile issue. I was able to get one of the subs playing. Only the left for some reason. If I switch the RCAs around on the amp the other plays. I've checked the amp, LOC, RCA cable, and the issue seems to be the stereos output that is the issue. The really strange part is that all of the stock speakers play fine and are still powered by the Bose amp. My sub amp is wired in line before the Bose. I noticed when soldering in the iPod input there were RCA cables in the lower left part of the dash under the gauges connected to what I thought were transmitters for the wireless headphones for the rear DVD player. Does anyone know how the rear DVD players are wired in and if this may be part of the problem?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I threw in the towel and went the easy way out. I used a y cord and split the one side of the LOC that worked to get signal to both channels of my amp. Both subs play but I am still not happy with the sound stage and inability to adjust the subs like I want. I am looking into other options for a head unit...the PAC OS-4's price is ridiculous. Anyone want to buy a Bose Nav unit and amp to help fund my next head unit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts