Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were on a road trip and cruising around 80mph on the NJ turnpike, car running for about an hour and the ac suddenly stopped working. I let the TBSS sit overnight and still nothing. It blew cold air up until it stopped working.

Any suggestions where to look first? Micro relay 44? Are there any other fuses to look into

·
Registered
2006 AWD TBSS
16 Posts
I bought mine about a year ago with 78k miles on it and within the first 2 months had to replace the ac compressor luckily i have a warranty bc the cost for that with labor i believe was like 2500$ so I hope its not that!

·
Registered
07 Trailblazer 3SS
515 Posts
A very common issue in many cars is the AC clutch, should be able to change just the clutch and save yourself a fortune, could last for years or the compressor may not be too far behind... Not much risk in a $50 part and a little wrench time

Let us know how you make out

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Is the AC belt on?

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Mine did that about a month ago, First thing I thought was bad compressor/clutch or low on Freon.

When I got home and checked that night I found no power to the AC clutch or pressure switch, but I had power on two sides of the relay. I jumped the relay contact pins, compressor came on and blew cold. I swapped the AC relay for the headlight relay, nothing changed, still didn't work.

Next morning, I went out, took the test light to the relay and found there was no control power ground from the AC controller module. At this point I was thinking how much does a new control module cost...etc. So I just plugged the relay back in and checked one last time: The AC came back to life, very weird, but its been working since.

Moral of the story: Everyone jumping the gun here about what's wrong wont do you anything but cost money in changing parts because you really don't know where the problem is.

Here is a short list of possibilities for my issue:
1. Fuse box connections
2. AC Control module
3. Bad connection somewhere in between 1 and 2.

If it goes out again I'll tear into it a little more, but I know the fuse boxes in these can cause problems, so I am leaning toward that.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
A very common issue in many cars is the AC clutch, should be able to change just the clutch and save yourself a fortune, could last for years or the compressor may not be too far behind... Not much risk in a $50 part and a little wrench time

Let us know how you make out
I have never seen a GM compressor clutch go bad. (I have seen the bearing get worn out, but never the clutch coil itself.)

·
Registered
07 Trailblazer 3SS
515 Posts
Mine did that about a month ago, First thing I thought was bad compressor/clutch or low on Freon.

When I got home and checked that night I found no power to the AC clutch or pressure switch, but I had power on two sides of the relay. I jumped the relay contact pins, compressor came on and blew cold. I swapped the AC relay for the headlight relay, nothing changed, still didn't work.

Next morning, I went out, took the test light to the relay and found there was no control power ground from the AC controller module. At this point I was thinking how much does a new control module cost...etc. So I just plugged the relay back in and checked one last time: The AC came back to life, very weird, but its been working since.

Moral of the story: Everyone jumping the gun here about what's wrong wont do you anything but cost money in changing parts because you really don't know where the problem is.

Here is a short list of possibilities for my issue:
1. Fuse box connections
2. AC Control module
3. Bad connection somewhere in between 1 and 2.

If it goes out again I'll tear into it a little more, but I know the fuse boxes in these can cause problems, so I am leaning toward that.
Of coarse one would nee to verify that there is power going to the clutch and it was not engaging prior to replacing!!

:cheers1:

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
13 Posts
Check the belt, mine stopped working 2 weeks ago, looked and saw my belt was no where to been seen lol. The tensioner bearing was locked up, guess that was the source of the recent squealing :doh:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to say it, it was just the idler. AC belt was not engaging the AC compressor. $85 fix for the tensioner and belt, however, the tensioner is wobbling. I am thinking the compressor is causing a drag and making the idler wobble at idle? I replaced the idler twice thinking the new idler was bad, but it wasn't. I am also thinking the original idler went bad because of the wobble. Not sure if wobble is common or not. This happens at idle with AC on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts