Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08TbSS - Black
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having problems with my AC for a while now -- first it was the AC control module, then when I finally got that sorted out, the system was pretty much out of freon. Guys at the shop recharged it and added dye. 3 weeks later, it's struggling to keep up with the Florida heat.

Back to the shop to find the leak -- get a call 10 minutes ago that there's a hole in the AC condenser and that I'm looking at just over $1000 to fix it.

Holy %$#@#!!!!

I've never worked on AC before -- first, is this a crazy quote to replace an AC condenser? Was told it's 4.5 hrs of labor. Damned expensive. second -- anyone have any pointers on replacing this myself? Like I said, I'm a noob on AC issues, but I can twirl a wrench as well as the next guy.

Any help is really appreciated!
Reed

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
7,324 Posts
i had mine replaced a few months ago for $770! the parts total was $460 and the rest was labor! it took my mechanic 4.2 hours, and he said it was a bitch to do!

Reactions: BlackJax

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
You have a crap load of stuff in the dash area to change it, its a royal PITA. If you havent done one, leave it to the pro's, cause if theres a leak and you have to re-charge, its thier fault!! :) Plus you get a warranty. Have the change the orifice tube while they are at it, and put in the one that helps control temps at idle. They have a special high efficiency one they can order for most vehicles (assuming they have for our SS too).

G/L

Reactions: BlackJax

·
Registered
08TbSS - Black
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys -- much appreciated!

Walter, some really good points here - especially about having the work covered by the shop in case it's not right. If I do this DIY, I'm sure to pay some level of stupid tax just because it'll be my first time thru this. But one thing...

You have a crap load of stuff in the dash area to change it, its a royal PITA.
The AC condenser is in front of the radiator (right?). I haven't really researched this, but I hadn't thought that I'd need to mess with the dash area at all. What did you need to do behind the dash?

Thanks! :cheers1:

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
I read too fast, for some reason I had evap core on the brain..... LOL

Hell if its the condenser, you can do it yourself. Its an easy fix. Just make sure to buy new metal/rubber orings from GM. Dont re-use. And if you fill yourself, 24oz = two cans = full! :) Just buy the cheapy fill kit from Advance/Autozone. You should get 37-39 degrees, thats what I got with 24oz. Factory calls for 23oz I think. I end doing all mine by pressure, and not ounces. I ended up with close to 30oz to get to 35psi at idle on the low side, and it blows 35-36 all day long on a low 90 degree day. Remember each car is differant, compressor age, orrifice tube condition etc. So dont just throw 30oz in yours, start with 24.

·
Registered
08TbSS - Black
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, I'm with you there! Garage quoted 4.5 hrs labor for this job - that's probably a little high, but even at say 3 hrs work there ain't no way I'm dropping in a used part.

With this Florida heat we have, I want this one fixed right, you know? :cheers1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.