Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, I glanced up and down the site main page without a clue where this stuff could go, so I figure i'll post here and see what you guys think?

I've been experiencing two issues that really have caused any ill effects, but i'm curious what you guys think it could be?

First of all, truck has only 5900 miles on it, 2007 2WD. When I floor it from a slow roll or a dead stop, 1st gear sounds fine, it's as soon as it shifts into 2nd, I hear a low whine sounding VERY similar to a Magnacharger whine as it's spinning at full throttle with lower rpms. I can't exactly seem to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I tried doing it with ac on/off, and it's straight line so I'm wondering if it still could be a power steering whine? Or if it's completely 100% normal. Just haven't known that sound to be normal in past vehicles.

Also, when i'm backing the truck out and turning the wheel pretty damn close to full turn, I get a rubbing/clunking sound from the driver's front wheel. It's only when i'm turning, typically when the wheel is turned right. What do you guys think?

Moderator, please move the thread if theres a more appropriate section please. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS
1,061 Posts
Also, when i'm backing the truck out and turning the wheel pretty damn close to full turn, I get a rubbing/clunking sound from the driver's front wheel. It's only when i'm turning, typically when the wheel is turned right. What do you guys think?
I haven't heard of the first issue being a known problem on our trucks. The second one sounds awfully familiar. Are you sure the rubbing is coming from the front? It sounds like the rear diff. that a majority of us experience.
________
Suzuki Gsx Series Specifications

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it "sounds" like it's coming from the front but obviously it's beyond me as of where it's coming from yet. I know my diff has been screwed up from the beginning. Hard drive line lashing, clunks into gear, whines when letting off gas around 50mph.

Probably is my diff huh! What's the symptoms for the issue you were speaking on?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Issue #1 is probably your fan. I should not be gear related so pay attention and see if it really is happening when you change to 2nd. The stock fans really have a whirring sound at times.

The second sounds like your rear differential. Its hard to tell where the clunking is coming from as sound transfers funny. These trucks are knowing for rear differential issues. Take it to the dealer and they will probably change fluid in the rear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys have any information regarding the diff? Maybe a TSB or description of?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Do you guys have any information regarding the diff? Maybe a TSB or description of?
I dont think I have seen a real TSB on the differential.

It is usually a binding/jumping feel when you turn sharp or backup while turning. It seems to be worse when cold.

The dealer normally changes the fluid as a first attempt. The clutches need to slip when turning and the lubricants play an important part in that. If that does not work after a couple times, they will usually replace the entire carrier section in the rear end.

Rich

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that'd be for the whine that's pre-existing. The dealer tried to tell me "it's normal" so I said forget it and didn't worry about it. But the rubbing sound I don't like. I don't know how it's going to be proven to the technician.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, I know for a fact it doesn't. Because as soon as I hear it start to rub, I look forward, and the ST doesn't blink or anything.

That issue you're speaking of, is exactly what would happen on my GTO. I'd put it in 1st and start to ease out the clutch with some gas and the rear end would bind/grind real hard and "Low Traction" would blink.

·
The one and only JJ
14,071 Posts
If this noise is what i think it is its perfectly normal! I was told that its the Alternator and i have never had an issue with that noise.

Your send issue might be more serious as im sure you have heard about the rear diff issues, etc even the issue mentioned above in the TSB.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I listened to it closer today, it's definitely the front. I feel the rubbing through the steering wheel sometimes too, or through the footwell.

·
The Worlds my Playground
4,823 Posts
Im 99.9% sure the rear is about to really f*ck up. Thats what it feels like, a rubbing feeling/sound that "seems" to come from the front, but its the rear. Its already happend to one of mine. The 2 SS's were only built a month apart, dec 05 & jan 06. The dec one fucked up and is fairly stock, the jan one is modded and has had no problems at all...

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Im 99.9% sure the rear is about to really f*ck up. Thats what it feels like, a rubbing feeling/sound that "seems" to come from the front, but its the rear. Its already happend to one of mine. The 2 SS's were only built a month apart, dec 05 & jan 06. The dec one fucked up and is fairly stock, the jan one is modded and has had no problems at all...

Well yours is messed up because your truck has been squashed.

:rofl:

·
The Worlds my Playground
4,823 Posts
Huh? I hope not, im on the other side of the world right now and would be PISSED if i went home to a crushed car.. lol

HA HA HA , sig, doh...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try dropping the front sway bar out and see if the noise goes away. My 2007 TBSS developed a squeak and clunking feeling in the steering a while back. The dealer eventually took out the sway bar and the noise went away. Upon inspection of the parts they found that the swaybar bushing bracket had a burr on it. The burr was not allowing it to seat correctly, allowing it move slightly under load causing the squeak. They replaced the bushings and brackets and the noise has been gone ever since. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Here's the TSB. I took this to the dealer and they fixed mine no issues.

Document ID# 1870450

Subject: Growl groan Shudder or bind from the rear differential when turning - keywords axle chatter cold G86 hot turn #PIP3911A - (11/03/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS Equipped with limited slip differential (RPO G86)

Condition/Concern: Same as Subject

Recommendation/Instructions:

Replace the rear differential center section (gear case) which will include clutch plates and springs with an updated spring rate. At the time of the release of this PI all parts in GMSPO stock have been purged and ordering the catalog listed part number will insure updated parts. Fill the differential by first installing 5.5 oz (163 mL) of Limited-Slip Axle Lubricant Additive (GM Part No. U.S. 1052358) then fill, 0.6 in. to 1.6 inches below the bottom of the filler plug hole using SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (p/n 12378261) meeting GM Spec 9986115.

Note 1: reference the latest version of tsb 06-04-20-003 for proper fluids and capacity.

Note 2: Synthetic Axle Lubricant, p/n 12378261 or p/n 89021677 each of these part numbers is the same axle lubricant, w/ differences in packaging only.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved w/o completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts