Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Trailblazer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-So I wanted to see if it was possible to do a 6x5.5 conversion on the Trailblazer. I've read a lot of post of people wondering if it is possible but no one has attempted it. I am planning on doing the conversion next spring but I needed to know is it even possible so I did a ton of research and this is what I have found.
The front and rear rotors are almost identical to a 99-06 Silverado and 00-06 Tahoe. The rear is a perfect match and the front is 4mm deeper than stock but is ok once you read about the hub. This is a side by side comparison to see for yourself.

Now the front bearing hub was the big question would it fit. I found pictures but no dimensions.

So I needed to get one to test fit it. I went to a junk yard and pulled a hub from a 2000 Silverado.

The front hubs are identical for Silverado's and Tahoe's for 99-06 for the exception some 2003-06 Tahoe's can have a different hub but I'm not sure why. So I test fit the hub on the Trailblazer and the hub opening on the Trailblazer spindle is to small. The Silverado hub almost fits but you need to grind 5/16" off the opening on the spindle. The Silverado hub is 3 7/8" in diameter and the Trailblazer is spindle hub opening is 3 9/16".
Next the bolt holes on the spindle to mount the hub are too small. The Silverado uses slightly larger bolts so they would have to be drilled out slightly bigger. I'm not sure how much more but it is very minimal.

So far not what I was hoping. I tried to connect the ABS plug to the Trailblazer and the plugs don't match so the stock plug would have to be soldered on.
Here are the two side by side and you can see how much larger the Silverado hub is.

I measured the hub from where it contacts the spindle to the face plate that mounts to the wheel and the Trailblazer is 1 7/8" and the Silverado is 1 15/16". The Silverado hub sticks out a little more which is needed due to the rotor being a little deeper than the Trailblazer. It looks like it would fit the brake caliper with no issue but I'm not 100% since I can't bolt the hub and rotor on yet. The Silverado rotor is 4mm deeper that the Trailblazer which is between 1/8 and 3/16" and the hub sticks out 1/16" more that the Trailblazer so the Silverado rotor with be 1/8" deeper that the stock set up.
Ok, I know its a lot of info so far but now this is the rear set up.
So my (non-SS) Trailblazer has an 8.0" 10 bolt rear end with the left axle shaft 846mm long and 28 spline. The right side is 798mm long and 28 spline. The only 28 spline made is for the Colorado's and Canyon's but they are several inches to short. I searched for days but could not find anything that fits. Silverado's and Tahoe's have a 30 spline rear axle. So they only option for the rear is to have a machine shop weld up your bolt holes on your rear axle shafts and redrill the 6x5.5 lug pattern. The good news is that the rear rotors from the Silverado are a perfect match and do not need any modification. I didn't see if any axles would fit the SS axle.
So is the 6x5.5 conversion possible. Yes, but you need to do the following:
Have a machine shop drill out your spindle hub opening to 3 7/8" or slightly larger to ensure it fits,
Have a machine shop drill out the bolt hole opening on the spindle to the diameter of the Silverado bolts,
Connect the Trailblazer ABS sensor plug to the Silverado hub,
and have a machine shop weld up the rear axle shafts and redrill the 6x5.5 bolt pattern.
Everything else should bolt up.
I am not attempting this yet because I am not getting my Sierra replica wheels until next spring and I don't have Silverado wheels to put on. But hopefully this encourages someone to try it. On paper it looks like it should work. What do you all think?

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Will the sensors swap between hubs?

If so, no soldering; assuming it would read the hub rotation correctly.

·
Registered
Trailblazer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I tried to connect the ABS sensor from the Silverado hub and the connectors are different. Both are 2 wire connectors so I assume the connectors can be swapped.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
Nice work man! I'm sure everyone of us have thought about doing this swap but I'm not sure anyone has really tried. Props to you for doing a lot of the leg work.

·
Registered
Trailblazer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work man! I'm sure everyone of us have thought about doing this swap but I'm not sure anyone has really tried. Props to you for doing a lot of the leg work.
Thanks, it sucks that it is not a simple bolt in but then again I didn't think GM would make it that easy on us.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
120 Posts
Why not just drill out the hubs, axles, and rotors to desired pattern? Simple fix and a local machine shop could do it. Take them your hubs, axles, and rotor and $200-250 later you are all set. The hard part would be if you want to run a 15" wheel in the rear, but Rodney could get you the brackets needed for the 10 bolt to fix that.

Rodney, do your brackets work with the 14 bolt and still able to retain the parking brake?

·
Registered
Trailblazer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is not enough room on the front hub for the 6x5.5 pattern. The hub is too small.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
14 Posts
Bumping this for interest.

I know you stated you aren't doing this until the spring, however I wondered if you had come up with anything more on the project.

The main thing I noticed that will help the majority of people on this site considering most have a SS is that the SS runs a bigger rotor in the front than the other trailblazer models do. The SS runs a 325x29 front rotor size, the back is the same size. I'm wondering if there is a comparable sized rotor that came on something else or the TBSS rotors will end up needing re-drilled.

Also, you stated that the 03-06 tahoe's used a different hub. Is it possible that hub could be for the silverado SS made from 03-06? I believe they also use different size rotors which from what I could find are 13in in the front. I'm going to keep looking into this, but this is an awesome start. Thanks for the info and the initial time spent on putting this together.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
9 Posts
Thanks for all the investigative work. I was wondering about some type of swap using readily available factory or replacement parts.

I was thinking about the last years of Chevy Astro van. The switched to 6 lug for 2003 and 2004 I believe. Also they have an AWD version.

I just got an AWD Saab 9-7X and the would love to convert it to 6x5.5 lug pattern. I am hoping to get some time to research and get some cheap parts to try.

·
Registered
Trailblazer
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got the 22" Sierra wheels but I decided try wheel spacers because of how much work would be involved with the front suspension. I picked up a set of 1.25" wheel spacers and tried the wheels before putting the tires on.

After test fitting the wheels I found that it would not work because the wheels stuck out 1 3/4" past the fender well. I decided to try the 6x5.5 conversion again and see if I could make it work.

I knew that the Silverado and Tahoe hubs would not work so I tried the 2003-05 Chevy Astro hubs. Chevy changed from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt hub in 03 and it might be smaller to fit the trailblazer. I also found that the Chevy Traverse and GMC Acadia front hubs are very similar to the Trailblazer's. The Travers/Acadia is a 6x132 lug pattern, but if it could fit the spindle then it could be redrilled to 6x139.7 lug pattern. The rear I was planning on having the rear axle and rotor redrilled to 6x139.7 and there did not appear to be any clearance issues.
I took measurements of the Trailblazer hub and spindle and then went to the auto parts store and they let me get some measurements from the Astro and Acadia hubs. The Astro hub is the same as the Silverado and there is no way it would fit. The Acadia hub is very close to ours. All of the measurements were within mm of the Trailblazer except for the plate that the studs are mounted. The Trailblazer is 5 3/4" and the Acadia is 6 1/2". The Trailblazer rotor is only 6" in diameter on the inside that mounts to the hub so it would not fit. I looked in to a Silverado or similar rotor to mount but realized that the brake caliper bracket is designed to fit very close to the rotor and the Trailblazer rotor slopes to a 45 degree angle. A brake bracket would not allow the Silverado rotor. I think it would be a little too involved and complicated to try and switch a braking system just for a brake bracket. I checked for any other hubs or solutions and could not find one. To have a 6x5.5 lug pattern and then take in account the width of the stud you would have to have at a minimum 6 1/8" and then more space past that. A 6 1/2" mounting surface would be what you need and the Trailblazer rotors won't allow it. So for now i'm trying to return the wheels and get my money back and probably go with some 22" Trailblazer SS wheels. If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to share.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
That was a lot of trial and error. However, at least everyone knows it will not work. Great efforts though!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts