Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it cheaper to buy a 4l80 used with kind of high miles and have it built? Or just buy a new one from Phoenix or some one like that. I can buy one from where I use to work at for a couple hundred with a 151k on it. Just seeing if its worth getting now and letting it sit in the garage till the time comes for it.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Is it cheaper to buy a 4l80 used with kind of high miles and have it built? Or just buy a new one from Phoenix or some one like that. I can buy one from where I use to work at for a couple hundred with a 151k on it. Just seeing if its worth getting now and letting it sit in the garage till the time comes for it.
So long as it doesnt have anything broken inside then they can be rebuilt fairly cheap depending on what you put in it for hard parts. Stock with a shift kit can handle way more then a fully built 4L70E.

That being said you may want to call Greg about rebuilding it for you.

Are you 2Wd or AWD? The AWD will require Greg's output shaft and adapter for the transfercase.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If all the gears and shafts are good, whats a round about cost to rebuild one? All I want is 600-650 at the tires. What would need to be changed to handle that?

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm still learning about all this crap.

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
yeah just be careful on the core when u purchase it. Just because it runs doesn't mean everything is in great shape. I actually had a few hard parts that needed to be replaced. These 80E cores are getting older by the year so some hard parts may need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS
1,712 Posts
Bought mine and it sat for a few years in my garage. Supposdily had 100K+ on it and came out of a 2000-2001 van. Internals were very clean when my trans builder took it apart.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
If it is a 99 and up style 4L80E and you can get it for just $200 then jump on it. These cores are getting harder to find as GM and some of the big rebuilding outfits are paying a pretty high bounty for them. Rebuild costs will vary widely between builders depending on what kind of parts are used, labor rates, modifications etc. when the time comes we will be happy to quote you on a build of the trans and a converter to suit your performance goals.

·
Registered
'07 Trailblazer SS
131 Posts
Does it take anything special to switch to a 4L80E or is it a one-for-one swap? If that's the case, why would anyone build up a 70 if it still won't be as good as a stock 80?

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Trailblazer SS
131 Posts
Very good- thanks. I'm RWD so that wouldn't be as bad. Sounds like this would still be a better option if you can get into an 80 fairly reasonably.

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
Very good- thanks. I'm RWD so that wouldn't be as bad. Sounds like this would still be a better option if you can get into an 80 fairly reasonably.

I would definitely go 80E for the cost compared to a "built" 70E. I got out doing my 80E swap for half the cost of a built 70E.

:biggrin2:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
47 Posts
Finished my 70 off last weekend. I already know of the issues with these but was hoping mine would've lasted longer lol. I don't have anything done motor, just dual 2.5" exhaust and CAI and a tune. Talked to Left Coast and Greg and believe going with this 80 is about the only way to go. Found a 80 friday and hopefully i can get that and get it sent to Greg and also get the swap kit from Left Coast. What trans cooler do you guys recommend? Because I have to have one this time around. I've gotta get the bracket for the shifter and the yolk also... just tryin to get everything together

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
I like the stacked plate design from B&M. Get the biggest cooler you can get from B&M and your good to go. Do you have the dipstick as well?

You need the

-dipstick from 2500 or Lokar
-slip yolk for the 80E
-80E shift linkage bracket
-new flexplate or a converter with 70E front

also you may have to trim a little off the bellhousing to fit the tranny. There are some ears on top of the bellhousing you may want to trim. They can rattle on the tranny tunnel.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
47 Posts
I like the stacked plate design from B&M. Get the biggest cooler you can get from B&M and your good to go. Do you have the dipstick as well?

You need the

-dipstick from 2500 or Lokar
-slip yolk for the 80E
-80E shift linkage bracket
-new flexplate or a converter with 70E front

also you may have to trim a little off the bellhousing to fit the tranny. There are some ears on top of the bellhousing you may want to trim. They can rattle on the tranny tunnel.
thanks for the info. tryin to get all the info i can before i start this then get in the middle of it and find out i didn't do enough research. my TBSS is still parked because i'm trying to get the money together to do this swap and i see no since in wasting money throwing another pos 4L70 in there...well i say pos but i guess my driving style doesn't help either lol. i'll talk with greg at phoenix about a converter with a 70E front too:coolthumb:... again thanks for the info

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
thanks for the info. tryin to get all the info i can before i start this then get in the middle of it and find out i didn't do enough research. my TBSS is still parked because i'm trying to get the money together to do this swap and i see no since in wasting money throwing another pos 4L70 in there...well i say pos but i guess my driving style doesn't help either lol. i'll talk with greg at phoenix about a converter with a 70E front too:coolthumb:... again thanks for the info

No problem! I went thru it so I don't mind offering my knowledge. I asked questions as much as I could and got some help. We ended up having to figure out somethings on our own too. We got it figured out and couldn't be happier. 3rd gear is now when this truck comes alive. It has much better top end with the 80E.

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Good info guys, thanks!

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Won't it have to be tuned as well for the trans? That's a factor in the cost

1 - 20 of 21 Posts