Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a TBSS and was intially interested in AWD only due to my winter habits, which take me up into the mountain snow. However, I've recently started looking at the RWD models as they're quite a bit cheaper, get slightly better gas mileage, are a little faster, and I kind of like the idea of a rear wheel drive "hot rod" SUV, if you will.

So, my question is; who here as a RWD TBSS and how has that worked out for you? I know we don't get much lowland snow but, when we do, it's really nice to have AWD or at least optional 4WD. Furthermore, trying to go up to Crystal, Stevens or even Snoqualmie can be tricky without the 4 wheel option. Your feedback/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
If you continue to venture in to the mountains during winter I'd recommend you stick looking for an AWD.

Not saying WA is that extreme but I drove mine up to AK when purchased I'll tell ya it was hell driving through Canada in snow and that was just April, so it wasn't that bad but I was all over the place.

Granted, could have added weight and different tires would have been beneficial.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Just went and drove a 2wd one and it felt way faster and tighter than the two AWD ones I've driven. Only thing I found odd was that the trans seemed to shift really hard into 2nd... Is that a pronounced characteristic of the 2wd TBSS, or is that just the "slip-bang" thing I've read about? Didn't notice it as much in the AWD rigs.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
Sounds like the 2WD was tuned...even a tune makes them feel lighter and quicker all around. The 2WD ones are ~200-400lbs lighter (center diff, front CV axles, front diff, front driveshaft add up), but Ive gotta say, my AWD with the rear bags adjusted, a DJM swaybar, and Hotchkis swaybar bushings on my front swaybar handles pretty dang well. Corners like its on rails, didnt realize how much I missed that coming from my 02 (has a Hotchkis rear bar).

The only way I can recommend a 2WD SS is if you plan on forking out the $$ for a full set of winter tires (rims if you want to run 17/18s), a set of chains, and AAA. Maybe have a winter tune that has more throttle tip-in TM active so you cant spin the wheels as easily.

Im from Seattle but spend the winters in Spokane, even in my 02 TB I was always in 4HI whenever there was snow on the ground (even with good Dueler A/T Revos with lots of tread left). With the SS I bought a set of 17s and some Dueler A/T Revo 2s for a winter setup, they're great but there are still times I wish I could lock the 50/50 front/rear torque split like my 02 can vs the constant varying center diff the SS has.

They all have the lovely slip-bang 1-2 shift, especially with higher miles and/or if they've been beaten on.

Random, was the 2WD one a Red Jewel one? Thats the only one I know of up here, was owned by a member who traded it into a dealer a year or so ago for a fullsize truck.

If you have any other questions or want to talk on the phone, PM me.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,002 Posts
Coming from St. Louis, and its wonderful winters. If you have some skills driving in snow, 2WD is all that bad. Now I would never have gone off pavement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.