Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need new tires. I have been running the stock 255/50R20 tires on stock wheels. I was wondering if anyone is running 295/45R20 on stock rims? Want 295/45R20 but am worried they won't work on stock rims. My second choice is 275/45R20. Anyone running either? Thought? Thanks!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
206 Posts
I am and have been running 275/45R/20 for a long time and they fit and work great. I did find out that some tire dealers won't install tires other than the size on the door jam sticker so I had to look around.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
206 Posts
By the way. The tires I am running are Firestone Destination LE3 in the 275/45R/20 size on the stock wheels. They are rated mud & snow because where I live it does snow some in the winter. They do have great traction and handle very well.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am and have been running 275/45R/20 for a long time and they fit and work great. I did find out that some tire dealers won't install tires other than the size on the door jam sticker so I had to look around.
Awesome! Thanks!!! Do you have a pic of your wheel/tire combo?

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
452 Posts
Need new tires. I have been running the stock 255/50R20 tires on stock wheels. I was wondering if anyone is running 295/45R20 on stock rims? Want 295/45R20 but am worried they won't work on stock rims. My second choice is 275/45R20. Anyone running either? Thought? Thanks!
Neither will "work" on a 8" wide rim. My definition of "work": performing at full potential as designed by the manufacturer. Every aspect of a tire's performance (AND SAFETY) is compromised when you use non-recommended widths; completely negating any increased grip from 20mm wider tires, because the contact patch wont be as flat. 265's would work but far lesser options. You could get away with 275/50's but that's an inch taller tire. 275/45, 275/40 and everything wider Will have a bubbled contact patch.
My best tire recommendation for stock wheel size would be Michelin Pilot All-season 4's in the 255/45r20 size, no 255/50 available. 3/4" less height but can't tell because of the squared tire shoulders. Hands-down the best performing, full-contact patch, A/S tire you can put on a 20x8 rim.
Aesthetically speaking, it will look like a fatter/more bulgy tire than factory rsa's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't want to buy new wheels for wider tires so I put pirille scorpion Nero as plus in stock 255 50 20 sizes on. They ride great, pretty good traction, do well in rain, and are fairly quiet. The contindws06 plus was also considered, but the pirelli were equivalent and cheaper.

I considered going 275 45 20, but I decided against them due to the tires being pinched. This means the sidewall can't stand up, resulting in a less stiff sidewall, and compromised handling. I'm AWD so I had plenty of acceleration grip, I didn't want to compromise my handling more more launch traction.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,616 Posts
275/45R20 has been the most popular size since I've been on this site. I've been using 275's all around for over 10 years without issues. The 295s are only used on the rear of a 2WD with a 10" wide wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts