Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 TBSS has 70,000 miles on it and I developed a engine noise . I was told it needed new lifter and paid a shop in Phoenix Arizona to repair it. When I got back it sounded the same as it did when I dropped it off. Before i had the new lifters installed. I was told it most likely was the oil pick up o-ring in the pan. I had a shop in Tempe Arizona do that repair. I am not sure what else it could be now. It have not drove it in 7 month and need to fix it ASAP. Let me know if you have any idea of a shop or person in Phoenix Arizona ( east valley Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe or Mesa ) that could repair it right.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,291 Posts
A shop told you to replace the oil pump o ring? Do you have oil pressure issues? Seems odd to jump right to replacing that o ring without oil pressure issues.

If you do have oil pressure issues, I’m betting on a spun rod bearing. In that case you can always cut your oil filter open and check for metal shavings.

If it’s just a tapping noise that happens mostly cold and at idle or just off idle. I would be leaning towards piston slap, which is essentially normal.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was to trusting of the shop advice. They said it was common on the LS engine to need to replace the o-ring. When I got back it sounded the same. So they told me it must be lifters. I decide not to do the lifters with them because I wasted all the money on a repair that didn’t fix it. Then I took it to another shop that I was recommended to in Phoenix. They check it and said that it was the lifters on the driver side. They said it was best to do all of them just in case other one’s fail soon. They called at the end and said it sounded fine now but, my a/c all the sudden blew up when that went to recharge it. It was blowing at like 40 degrees when I dropped it off. I didn’t believe them and said I couldn’t afford to fix it and just would send my son to pick it up in 115 degree weather with no a/c. It was like a 30 mile drive and when he got home he called me and said it sounded the same as before. I lost $2600.00 on both repair. To top it off the a/c works great now and just needed Freon. Lol

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you would be lean towards piston slap, a it essentially normal. Would it be safe to drive it. When the first shop pulled the pan they found a very small amount of aluminum in the pick up tube screen. They said they inspected everything and it looked fine in the crankcase and felt it was normal. Do you agree with that opinion

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,291 Posts
My advice would be pull the filter cut it open and check for metal. You can buy a filter cutter on amazon for about 50 bucks. Or use tin snips. Cutters work best because they have the lowest chance of metal contamination from cutting the filter open.

I would say No metal and no oil pressure issues it’s probably perfectly fine to drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts