Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate to be gifted a TBSS 2007 with 170k miles.

Unfortunately, the motor is frozen. We are pulling the engine and having a machine shop port/polish and add cam. Below is a parts list for additional upgrades.

• Edlebrock Pro-Flo XT EFI Intake Manifold
  • Electric fan
  • Chrome CCFL Halo Project Headlights
  • 20x10 rear wheels
  • Belltech Coilovers/Shocks/3 inch Rear Drop Spring with NORCAL SS Tubluler Upper A Arms
  • Tires

My goal is to have a reliable and quick SS with a sport ride. I am sure a few track nights will happen but it is not the focus.

Anything I am missing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The tbss factory intake is one of the best and you’d be hard pressed to justify an aftermarket one. Better flowing Heads would make for a better upgrade imo.

After that a solid tune and save up for a trans swap or rebuild

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tbss factory intake is one of the best and you’d be hard pressed to justify an aftermarket one. Better flowing Heads would make for a better upgrade imo.

After that a solid tune and save up for a trans swap or rebuild
Thank you. Do you have a headers suggestion? I keep forgetting about the tune cost?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
197 Posts
X2 on the intake, TBSS is hard to beat.

Tune could be anywhere from $200-$400.

As far as headers, you get what you pay for. “Cheap, fast, reliable. You may only shooed 2…”

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
886 Posts
Tune could be anywhere from $200-$400.”
$200-$400?? .... That has to be for a generic email tune. Not to start a debate but, you are not getting a quality tune for that price. If you are having your entire engine rebuilt with head and cam work I would suggest NOT going cheap on a tune. The tune is what makes your engine survive.

Reactions: votehart407

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,127 Posts
Skip the intake manifold add the longtubes, 4in Cai with blade style maf, resonator delete and enjoy. Sonnax Trans parts if your up to it also.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,968 Posts
On top of what others had suggested.

Oil tube pickup fix (probably why the motor is toast), custom grind cam, good flowing heads, stall converter and sticky tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On top of what others had suggested.

Oil tube pickup fix (probably why the motor is toast), custom grind cam, good flowing heads, stall converter and sticky tires.

Yes, my brother talked about the oil fix. We are doing this fix.

After review, I am saving the airflow upgrades for a later date. Routing the cash into a wheel/tire set up. Any thoughts on 17 inch wheels for a drag look? Something like this one below but with a wider from wheel for daily driving.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,127 Posts
AWD or RWD? You will be way happier doing the bark before the bite. 100hp over stock is one Hella fun time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AWD or RWD? You will be way happier doing the bark before the bite. 100hp over stock is one Hella fun time.

RWD.

I see your point. I may need to bite the bullet and do both if I can keep the total price under 10k.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
420 Posts

After review, I am saving the airflow upgrades for a later date. Routing the cash into a wheel/tire set up. Any thoughts on 17 inch wheels for a drag look? Something like this one below but with a wider from wheel for daily driving.

View attachment 103182
You wouldn't like daily driving 17's at all. The difference in cornering is night and day over 20's. Even the 18" track set-up I have has terrible cornering in comparison to stock 20".

Reactions: theheder

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
If you can't swing the cost of a built trans now, I'd at minimum do a cooler. Converter makes a hell of a difference too in the fun department.
But you'll definitely be on borrowed time with stock tranny, even at stock hp.

I've had good luck with the Speed Engineering headers on mine, and got buddies with them on their LS swapped C10's. No complaints. They're no Kooks, but for the price they're a good piece.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,968 Posts

View attachment 103182
Nice pic.

That's Martin's truck.

He's local to me and works at RPM in Garner NC.

IIRC 10+ years ago he ran 9.03 on spray with Bogart wheels with the right offset to fit 390 tires.

That truck is on the fastest and list on this site.

Fwiw you can run 16" stock TB rims in the rear with 275 MH drag radials...... That is what I ended up doing with good results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You wouldn't like daily driving 17's at all. The difference in cornering is night and day over 20's. Even the 18" track set-up I have has terrible cornering in comparison to stock 20".
i was curious how it would drive daily. It will be running to school and errands most of the time in the local area. A couple times a month I'll make a 170 mile total drive on the highway. I thought for the local stuff no big deal but the highway may be less than ideal. I got pick up new tires and thinking to add wheels. I don't know why but I thought wheel sets were 10k. I was surprised to find out they are more affordable. Got me thinking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you can't swing the cost of a built trans now, I'd at minimum do a cooler. Converter makes a hell of a difference too in the fun department.
But you'll definitely be on borrowed time with stock tranny, even at stock hp.

I've had good luck with the Speed Engineering headers on mine, and got buddies with them on their LS swapped C10's. No complaints. They're no Kooks, but for the price they're a good piece.
Thank you. I have been worried about the future of the tranny. It is stock and never rebuilt. At 170k I guess I need to add that to the next upgrade. How much is a good transmission to match with the LS2 For daily driving in your opinion?

I don't want to spend more than 10k total so I'm weighing header options now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice pic.

That's Martin's truck.

He's local to me and works at RPM in Garner NC.

IIRC 10+ years ago he ran 9.03 on spray with Bogart wheels with the right offset to fit 390 tires.

That truck is on the fastest and list on this site.

Fwiw you can run 16" stock TB rims in the rear with 275 MH drag radials...... That is what I ended up doing with good results.
How is daily driving with that setup? For myself 90% of my driving will be very local with a couple of long drives to the in-laws a month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've recently commented on the oil pan topic but it can't be emphasized strongly enough that that pan is the WORST POS this century. Don't skimp on this. If you are a 2-whl drive its easy -C6 pan. If its an AWD my opinion is an accusump system is a must. Believe there is a "sandwich" adapter that mounts between the pan & oil filter. Everyone's comments are on target especially regarding the trans & intake. I'd have the heads checked for valve guide wear before putting any $$ into them. New heads are really a bargin these days and there are several available. Best of luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is physically wrong with the engine? This will help determine what upgrades you do. If the crank is shot and you will be replacing the pistons when you hone it out, you might consider building a stroker.

as mentioned before the TBSS intake is great and there is no need to replace. Replace the oil pan with the C6 ls3 oil pan and pick up as mentioned. The cylinder heads should be 243s and need no modification to make 500hp.

basically on a stock displacement TBSS ls2 all you really need for 500hp is a cam headers and a good air intake.

you may need injectors, I’ll let others chime in on that. I’m not sure if this is common knowledge or not but L96 injectors drop right in and are 50 lb I believe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts