Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some background. I bought my 9-7X new in 2007 one week before the Aero was announced. I fixed the power deficit the winter of 2010/2011 when I installed a new LS2 crate motor. In 2013, I installed LS3 heads, LS9 cam, L92 intake, and ARH headers on the LS2. There were a lot of other changes over that time (stereo, exhaust, KW coilovers front and rear, Baer brakes front and rear, 20x10 TBSS replicas, etc.).

In June of 2014, I was driving to work and my car shut off. It refused to restart. At the time, i had already started a forged engine build, had a 6L80E in the garage, and a supercharger in the basement. The fault was just a bad starter, but with AWD and headers it's basically easiest just to pull the engine to replace the starter. One thing led to another, and over the next ~3 years, I completely rebuilt the Saab. Literally, every rotating part was replaced (including front hubs).

I have a summary of the big changes below.

406ci LSA Engine:
  1. Factory LSA Block
  2. with factory oil squirters
  3. K1 3.9" Crank
  4. Oliver forged rods
  5. 9:1 JE 4.070" ASR pistons
  6. LSA heads
  7. LSA cam covers
  8. LS9 cam
  9. PCMofNC oil pickup relocation
  10. Setrab 634 Oil cooler with Improved Racing Thermostat
  11. Whipple Camaro supercharger
  12. MTI Racing 8-rib kit
  13. PCMofNC Camaro accessory swap
  14. Mann+Hummel Provent catch can
  15. Camaro ZL1 PCV lines with factory oil KO drum
  16. LS9 MAP sensor
  17. 100 mm LC32 MAF in a custom 4" intake
  18. LS2 throttle body (NW 102 waiting for tuning to be complete)

Fuel System:
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/th...ess-factory-fuel-line-return-fuel-system.html
In addition to thread above:
  1. ID 850 injectors
  2. DSteck E85 sensor/conversion

Transmission/drivetrain:
  1. TBMSport 6L80E swap kit
  2. 2007 6L80E from an Escalade
  3. 3.42 gear swap
  4. Eaton TruTrak in the rear end
  5. TBSS rear axle swap
  6. TBSS Torsen center differential swap
  7. new front differential and carrier
  8. PCM of NC fender cooler with fan
  9. Cadillac CTS-V transmission lines
  10. CTS-V torque converter

Other upgrades:
  1. 1 7/8" ARH headers- Swain Tech white lightning coated
  2. 4" exhaust- all V-band - swappable Banks and Borla center mufflers
  3. TBSS steering rack
  4. 2009 ECM OS - allows ID850 injectors without scaling, extends MAF limits, and allows LS9 MAP (negative offset)
  5. Corvette steering wheel swap with paddle shifters- I will start another thread for this.
  6. DJM A-arms
  7. BMR control arms in rear
  8. LC32 parnhard bar
  9. LC32/Simple Engineering stiffening plate, front crossmember, and rear cross brace
  10. New GM lower control arms in front
  11. strip and repaint front frame with POR
  12. FSR radiator and FSR Spal cooling fans, black ceramic coated
  13. Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX swap in place of old Clarion NX702.

The Whipple is currently putting out ~10 psi. I have a smaller pulley, but it's not worth swapping until tuning is finished at the current boost level. The MAF is dialed in, but the VE and spark tables still need to be tuned. I also need to keep playing with the transmission tune.

I'm using both an NGK AFX and AEM CAN OBD2 WBO2 for tuning. The AEM is awesome. Super easy to setup, fast, and more accurate than the NGK on average due to its mush faster response. The NGK will remain installed to run a Speedhut gauge and the AEM will become my removable tuning/backup gauge.

Regarding tuning, to make this work I needed a DrewTech Mongoose (for GM SPS), HPTuners, and EFI Live. Without all of these, I could have never flashed and refreshed all of the computers to work properly together. I also have a MDI 2, but I have yet to make it work properly. The Mongoose worked first time with zero tweaking.

Additional pictures here:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0s5oqs3qlcyRU

Tim

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
An update. It appears that the Borla center muffler may be 2-3 dB (a) louder inside the car than the Banks (~68 dB at idle, 77 dBa at cruise, up to 84 dBa at 1500 rpm going up a hill!), and it has a lot of smaller perforated tubes in the center of it which could restrict flow. I will probably try adding some quarter tube resonators or Helmholtz resonators (undecided which) to the exhaust to see if I can knock out some of the drone/noise from 1300 rpm to 2250 rpm. After that, I will try both mufflers to see which is quieter or has a better sound. I may need to add sound deadening if the resonators don't help.

Also, over the weekend I finally got my Bosch/GM MDI2 to work. I had tried the MDI2 a few times, but had never been able to get it to work before. Luckily, I also have a Mongoose2 and was able to use it for reprogramming. I want to try a Corvette tune in the transmission- it may be the only way to make the Corvette steering wheel tap shifters work.

I also need to reflash my throttle pedal controller. I am getting the same throttle body DTCs now that I had on my previous OS and with my factory throttle body. The only remaining part that is the same is the throttle pedal. The 5.3 and 6.0 had a different throttle pedal calibration, and this seems to be causing problems with the refreshed PCM.

In other news, the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX works great. I love the glass screen. The graphics are way too busy, but there aren't many other good alternatives and so long as it works well and is relatively intuitive, I can tolerate chintzy graphics.

Tim

·
Registered
9-7x Aero
291 Posts
In other news, the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX works great. I love the glass screen. The graphics are way too busy, but there aren't many other good alternatives and so long as it works well and is relatively intuitive, I can tolerate chintzy graphics.

Tim

Just get a few pictures with a dark background and put them on an SD card to use for your background. I have a couple wallpapers I got from my computer and a few pics of my ride :). Just make sure to keep it darker so you can read the white Pioneer text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update.

I was in open loop checking the MAF tune after zeroing out the Offset vs. Inj. Tip fuel injector offset table. I went WOT for my first full-throttle 2-3 shift and the car felt awesome. The 6L80E shifted perfectly at 5900 rpm (I need to bump this up later- maybe to 6500 rpm or so). The shift was solid, no delay, minimal TM, and took < 0.25 seconds to complete. However, when I reviewed the log, I noticed a few things.

1. I am seeing ~600 g/s at 5900 rpm on the factory pulley and I have a smaller pulley in waiting.
2. The normal Whipple pulley is ~ 162 kPa (a) which is roughly 9 psi.
3. There is a huge lean area for ~ 2 seconds after entering PE. I have done weeks of logging and never seen this before. During this lean spot, AFR was as high as 16.7:1 and the timing was advanced to over 30 degrees, but there was no knock. For the rest of the run, timing was between 22 and 24.5 degrees. You can tell that this was commanded by the ECM by the injector pulse widths.
4. After the lean spot, the fueling went ~10% rich. Previous logs showed the fueling at these MAF cells to be spot on.

The issue appears to be related to the following thread. I will see if disabling desoot mode fixes it.
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/show...ition-into-PE-and-lean-spot-during-WOT/page10

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
266 Posts
How do you liked the 6l80 swap?

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
The lean spot is Desoot mode, it's active on most (if not all) N/A E38/E67 calibrations and becomes an issue when boosting a factory N/A vehicle. In EFILive it's B1220/B1221 (need the latest July 2017 beta or newer) and HPTuners it's Fuel->General->Desoot mode -> set to Disable (need latest 3.6.20+).

This is a fairly new discovery for these ECMs, only been generally known for 2-3 months.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,083 Posts
Wow nice find, been reading the updates as you have been posting, sweet build..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Disabling despot mode has fixed it so far.

The car is down right now because the junkyard TBSS steering rack was junk. It is leaking like crazy. I will be pulling it and probably sending it out to be rebuilt. While its out, I'll go back to the factory rack.

I've also been adding quarter wave resonators to the exhaust. One is in, done, and working. I will be adding another after fixing the steering rack. These help quiet down the exhaust at certain RPMs and can eliminate or minimize drone at those specific RPM.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 2007 9-7X myself and had some goals, but damn is that a mod list to lust after.

·
Registered
'06 3SS AWD
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing your progress, great inspiration for me to hopefully one day join the 6 speed TBSS gang. I read a lot of the pros and cons discussion with 'how far do you take it' when it comes to modding a TBSS. The way I have started to see this is like the aggressive resto-mods some people do that you see in Hot Rod magazine or elsewhere. I guess it's how committed you want to be to a special vehicle.

Great work timg!

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a lot more rust than I thought when I had the engine out. The paint on the frame alone probably took more time than any other single thing I did. You can actually buy new frames at a reasonable price. That would have been easier than trying to POR 15 the frame...

The paddle shifters are dead weights for now. I tried a Corvette tune, but the shifters didn't work and it threw a few DTCs. I did a segment swap to replace some of the Corvette segments with truck segments and the DTCs went away while the better lockup action of the Corvette torque converter programming remained. There's a reasonable chance that I have a wiring issue with the shifters. Will need to continue troubleshooting later. I also had issues seeing the appropriate signals in my scanners (Tech2, MDI2, EFI Live, and HPTuners). It seems that EFI Live may be the most likely to solve this without a full MDI2 subscription. HPTuners was useless and doesn't display a lot of the 6L80E parameters. My Tech2 was didn't want to work at all. It's a cheap Chinese clone, so it could just be a pile of junk. EFI Live had the widest range of PIDs and should be able to help.

For now, I need to get the basic tune right and get past emissions. It's running well, but I have a couple of DTCs that randomly pop up and will prevent me from passing emissions. One pre-dates any of the recent swap/changes. I've been trying to actually troubleshoot them rather than taking the easy route and disabling them.

I've also been working to quiet the exhaust with a 3" and a 4" quarter wave resonator tuned to 1350 and 1850 rpm respectively. These have been incredibly effective and make the car much easier to drive. They are in and fully welded, but I need to add a rear hanger for them this weekend. If anybody wants my spreadsheet for these, please let me know. I have verified all of the data via FFT of recordings while driving.

I'll probably also sound deaden the entire car and add a backup camera this weekend. My wife may need to drive it soon since she's doing a buyback on her VW. It's currently relatively quiet, but I'd like to see if I can get it a bit closer to CTS-V territory inside.

Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts