Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well I have put a few miles on the truck and wow is this thing quick. First night out I took it over to my brother in laws just to put a few miles on it. I have learned a lot of the past 2 weeks.

First off I installed the blower as purchased and learned it was overdriven by swapping the rear pulleys out and with the 3.0 front pulley it was producing 13.5 pounds of boost. The truck felt very very quick but I wanted to back it down for daily and weekend duty. I have a quick clip a neighbor took as we were goofing around on the main road.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Trevor did an awesome job with the gauge mod to the vents.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pulled the unit off to swap the rear pulleys as I was shooting for 10 pounds of boost .

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am now getting 9.6 with the 3.0 front pulley

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Now I need to knock out this project. I picked up a used 10% overdriven IW 8 rib set up.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I got the IW system installed and it looks and performs great. I still can smell the belt burning if I run it through a full pull.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I also pulled the trigger on a Hurst shifter after seeing a fellow member making the mounts.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I will say the install was a PITA as many folks said they could not get D1 with the shifter. I found the neutral safety switch on the trans prevented the linkage from getting to D1. I filed it down as well as ground away material from the linkage to allow the travel to reach D1.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I am still working with on the boot as I did not want to go with the standard housing and cut my console up event more.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
With the 3.0 pulley and the IW 10% overdriven kit I am seeing 11.6 pounds of boost which is a little more than I had wanted but I have no room for a larger blower pulley.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,291 Posts
Make sure you put loctite on the alternator pulley. Mine was torqued to spec with a new lock washer and it came loose. Trashed the pulley and alternator. Just an all around pain in the butt that could have been easily avoided.

I was also running gates rpm belts. I won’t do that anymore. They have no stretch. Fleet runner belts like you have are the way to go. IMO.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Make sure you put loctite on the alternator pulley. Mine was torqued to spec with a new lock washer and it came loose. Trashed the pulley and alternator. Just an all around pain in the butt that could have been easily avoided.

I was also running gates rpm belts. I won’t do that anymore. They have no stretch. Fleet runner belts like you have are the way to go. IMO.
I marked the alternator nut with a paint mark to assure it does not move as I had the same issue with my first go round. I am currently running a Fleet Runner belt but picked up a spare Gates off Ebay to throw in the back as a back up. Gate was $55 while Fleet runner was $75 from napa.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well I owe an update but its not a good one. 100 miles in on the TVS install I lost oil pressure and spun a bearing. My goal was to get the truck running before my cancer surgery in late June but instead I was pulling the motor the week before so no way was I meeting that goal. So off she goes to storage until next year when I will be done with chemo and have kicked cancers ass. I plan to build a forged 408 for it and then see what she puts down.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
Well I owe an update but its not a good one. 100 miles in on the TVS install I lost oil pressure and spun a bearing. My goal was to get the truck running before my cancer surgery in late June but instead I was pulling the motor the week before so no way was I meeting that goal. So off she goes to storage until next year when I will be done with chemo and have kicked cancers ass. I plan to build a forged 408 for it and then see what she puts down.
View attachment 101460 View attachment 101461 View attachment 101462
Dang sorry about the bearing but more importantly I wish you a successful speedy recovery.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
Great write up!

Hoping to see an update soon......that you kicked cancers ass!!! I’m sure the TBSS will be happy to have you back as well.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just a quick update. I reached out to Sean Neumayer and he is building me a iron block 408 that I will be dropping in once my chemo and reversal surgery is done in early 2021. I will also be converting the interior to all black with Alcantara fabric. More to come.... PS Chemo sucks !!!!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts