Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever offered a 16" brake package for the TBSS? Ive done some looking around but it appears that nobody has gone that big for our trucks yet. My baer rotors are worn out from a poor pad choice on my part so I'm looking at maybe going bigger.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,492 Posts
Has anyone ever offered a 16" brake package for the TBSS? Ive done some looking around but it appears that nobody has gone that big for our trucks yet. My baer rotors are worn out from a poor pad choice on my part so I'm looking at maybe going bigger.
You already have the baer big brake kit? Only big brake kit available for these, as far as I know.

Sent from my BV9500Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
What do you think you would gain going with a larger rotor over what you have now?

There is a right and wrong answer to this question and your conundrum, its all based on goals and budgets

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Kind of what I thoutght about what is available for these trucks. I do already have the Bear kit. It works well but there is room for improvement. My choice of an aggressive pad was an attempt to shorten up stopping distances. It did work but but replacing rotors annually isn't a great long term option.Going to a larger rotor will increase effective leverage of the caliper and thus should give better braking overall.
I've ordered in some pieces from Wilwood and we'll see if we cant build something better yet.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
929 Posts
Stoptech makes 15" front kits for us and they make custom stuff too, I think..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get stickier tires. That will reduce your braking distance more than a larger rotor when it matters in a panic stop. The larger rotor will be advantageous after the third or fourth back to back stop

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
79 Posts
Hey,
I’ve been working with BigBrakeUpgrade towards using the general’s parts bin for a ZL1/CTS-V3 front kit. Hoping to get the front set up installed on my TBSS.

Here’s the thread -Big brakes w GM

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,
I’ve been working with BigBrakeUpgrade towards using the general’s parts bin for a ZL1/CTS-V3 front kit. Hoping to get the front set up installed on my TBSS.

Here’s the thread -Big brakes w GM

Thanks for the heads up on the thread. Looks very interesting. I've a got pile of Wilwood stuff here that I'm going to experiment with. We use quite a bit of their product in our customer builds and have had real good results. I'll post up progress once I get a chance to work on my own rig again. Hopefully this coming weekend.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caliper and 16” rotor mocked up. Both clear stock wheel. Caliper bracket fabrication in progress. Find me on insta for pics.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TC6 caliper. Search Anti_PriusTBSS on insta and you should be able to find me.
Caliper bracket is roughed out and mounted. I’ll get a few more pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Bummer not my favorite caliper, but accessible and affordable.
There are only two calipers available from wilwood that will accommodate a 16” rotor. The TX6R is too large to fit under a stock TBSS wheel. Hence the use of the TC6 in my build.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are only two calipers available from wilwood that will accommodate a 16” rotor. The TX6R is too large too fit under a stock TBSS wheel. Hence the use of the TC6 in my build.
i was actually hoping for a 4pot forged unit or “settle,” for a forged 6pot.

My other car has an ap racing brake kit that goes for thickness vs overall diameter and my pads are also 2x thicker than stock. I think i gained maybe an inch over factory but substantially thicker rotor, two piece and thicker pads. Its been pretty awesome on the track

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A one piece forged caliper would have been great. The majority of Willwoods calipers are forged (including the TC6) though they are two piece designs. Considering the machine work in building them I can understand why they do that.
The new 16” rotors I’m using are 1.375” thick vs the baer’s that are 1.150”. That should translate into a rotor that handles heat better overall. Obviously there’s a weight penalty in that but I wasn’t ready to fork out for carbon ceramic rotors to experiment with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts