Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've always been a little shy of the transmission after reading all the horror stories. i try to baby it when i can.

the first signs show up 2 weeks ago. i was on the interstate, trying to work my way into a spot between a couple cars. i generally put it in 3rd before i give it a lot of gas so that if it has to downshift to 2nd, it doesn't go all the way from overdrive. i was just focused on getting around this car and just hit the gas. it tried to downshift to 2nd from 4th and made a horrible clunk. i let off the gas and it went back into drive. i was careful after that, but after a little while, i started driving it like normal and things seemed fine.

so Monday, my wife took it to the store and told me the transmission felt weird. she said it felt like it was in neutral and she had to shift it into 3rd to go anywhere. i figured she got it stuck between drive and neutral somehow and didn't think much of it.

i drove it yesterday all day and it was fine. get in today after work, drives fine for a few minutes. come up to a stop sign and when i hit the gas, it feels like it's in neutral. i had to put it down into 1st to get it going. i figured out that it just plain won't take off if the selector is in 3rd or D. i can put it in 1st or 2nd, take off just fine, then manually shift up into 3rd or D and it works fine.

any clue fellas? i'm sure the tranny is going to need some work, but i'd like an idea of what i'm in for.

·
Premium Member
06 AWD TBSS
3,012 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but who's that?
He owns phoenix transmissions and is a vendor on here. I've heard nothing but great things about him and his products. I'd shoot him a PM.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,119 Posts
He's good people. Just had one of his stalls installed by them and can't say enough about how excited I was with service, price, and he contacted me about a week later asking if I was satisfied. I Recommend them to anybody.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Thanks fellas, just doing my job. It sounds like you have lost your input sprag in this trans. This sprag needs to hold to be able to pull away from a stop in the overdrive position. The factory sprag is notorious for failure in this trans and the aftermarket 29 element dual cage design is a very good upgrade. A transmission service life of 100K miles is pretty respectable in the TBSS and speaks to how you have driven and maintained it, but it is finally time for that rebuild.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
I have a fully built one from Greg for sale and you could sell your stock one for a core.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas, just doing my job. It sounds like you have lost your input sprag in this trans. This sprag needs to hold to be able to pull away from a stop in the overdrive position. The factory sprag is notorious for failure in this trans and the aftermarket 29 element dual cage design is a very good upgrade. A transmission service life of 100K miles is pretty respectable in the TBSS and speaks to how you have driven and maintained it, but it is finally time for that rebuild.
well that's not good news. i was hoping for something as simple as a clogged filter and dirty fluid. it's still driving fine right now shifting it manually. doesn't slip or anything. it'll start to take off in D or 3, but then just falls out of it. i found a low mileage stocker that i think i'm going to pick up.

I have a fully built one from Greg for sale and you could sell your stock one for a core.
pm me details?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,602 Posts
Greg is a good guy but just tossing it out there since you are in Indiana. RPM transmissions is near Indy. If you got it towed there you could drive it home. They do the install work and everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts