Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
all wheel drive non selectable t-case.

Jump in and start driving, turn hard right or hard left and the steering is so tight feels like an old truck in 4low on pavement or like the front brakes are being applied.

back up and take the turn in small turns and out the driveway we go. Any slight turn to the right or left is fine going forward or backing up.
but soon as you turn harder to right or left its as if your in a 4wd truck with 4wd engaged on pavement, No strange noises and just started out of the blue. No recent repairs or anything.
started out being hard to do right turns only so the passenger axle shaft was replaced thinking it was binding up.

we have parked it till i can figure it out.
2009 Saab 9-7x 4.2L auto AWD 120k miles

·
Lighter-than-you
507 Posts
power steering pump or your alignment is wayyyy off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drained and filled the front differential today it was not empty. I was expecting to see it empty or real low.
and then I drained and filled the transfer case with the blue GM fluid, test drove it and it’s still doing the same thing so now I want to look into the motor on the transfer case

·
Registered
9 Posts
No the fluid won't come out where the encoder motor is attached. It sounds like the encoder is stuck keeping the front differential engaged. The 4.2, and 5.3 trucks don't use the same transfer case as the SS, and the 6.0 Saab. The encoder is constantly changing torque pressure on the clutch in the transfer case. So if the encoder motor is stuck and keeping torque to the front differential all the time it will cause the truck to " crow hop" when turning. Keep in mind if this is the case there will be pressure on the encoder motor when you pry it off. Also it will be only rear wheel drive without it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No the fluid won't come out where the encoder motor is attached. It sounds like the encoder is stuck keeping the front differential engaged. The 4.2, and 5.3 trucks don't use the same transfer case as the SS, and the 6.0 Saab. The encoder is constantly changing torque pressure on the clutch in the transfer case. So if the encoder motor is stuck and keeping torque to the front differential all the time it will cause the truck to " crow hop" when turning. Keep in mind if this is the case there will be pressure on the encoder motor when you pry it off. Also it will be only rear wheel drive without it.
thank you for that info. So if im understanding this correctly i can remove the encoder motor and test drive it safely. And it will only be rear wheel drive (fine with me as we live in the SE).

i assume then i buy a new encoder motor?
Priced them on rock auto already. Not to bad at $150

thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts