Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm at a shop getting My 2006 Tbss tuned. Half way through tune Tbss computer freezes up. Now he needs a new computer. Is that common?

He advised only the second one he ever saw that went like this. 2 others were 2006 TBSS (He performed over a 1000 tunes) (I am not going to use his shops name, that is not the point of the thread so please do not ask)

What can cause a perfectly running tbss computer to simply fail while tuning? I was advised the computer is now useless?

What is your opinion on who should pay for the new/used computer? The customer or the tuner?

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
What software? EFILive, HPTuners, LS2Edit, etc?

Is your tuner using the latest version of whichever software? Can he read it out just fine? just a N/A tune or flashing a custom OS for boost?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
If the Tuner "bricked" the ECM because he accidentally disconnected the cable, he should pay for it. If, for example, something with the truck caused it like your truck's battery is a POS and gave out causing the communication failure, that is your problem, not his...

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
This is rare on the newer Gen IV ECMs. The older 411 boxes were easier to brick by doing things like screwing up the TAC module. I have never seen an E40 or an E67 brick so far.

Was there any type of battery failure? It "should" still work if he was reading it when it failed as oppsed to erasing, then flashing it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He kept saying my ecm was now a brick. There was no issues, or never has been an issue with my battery nor did he mention anything about there being a battery problem. He advised that it simply stopped working while he was reading the computer.

Again, I am just curious how these things happen. Keep them coming.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I'm with Matt on this, it's very hard to brick our ECMs...Has he attempted to do the recovery? If the communications failed in the middle of a flash, he can do a full recovery and save it...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He tried, but it now doesnt read the computer. It appears to be useless. This guy is probably the most mentioned tuner on these sites. He knows his stuff and has the latest software.

I just want a fair resolution for both of us and dont want to come at him guns blazing especially since I had to get a rent a car since it was so far from my home.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
He did, it didn't work either!! He has 07 08 ECM, but e40 is rare?
Hmmm now, if another E40 didnt work then its pointing to your truck. Did you pull the radio, Onstar fuses and disconnect ANY aftermarket stereo/amp/ipod adapter and/or alarm? Most people forget about an aftermarket alarm system, Ive had them act up on me before.

Regardless with EFILive or HPTuners you can full flash a new OS/calibration over it. Cant change the platform, but find a working 06 E40 stock TB SS tune and have him flash your ECM.

Is he using EFILive, HPTuners, etc?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He never installed the other E40 onto the car. He thought he had a spare just in case,but that one turned out to be bad. We got a computer yesterday morning and the tune is complete. Made 349 AWHP on a granny tune. Not bad with a few bolt on's.

I have the original computer that was locked. Any market out there to sale to recoup some money on the computer I purchased?

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
If someone wants to pull the flash chip and bench flash it to a working stock OS then maybe, but dont expect to get more than $10-20 for it. Takes a bit of work and some time to pull the flash chip and reflash it, then solder it back in.

Still havent answered my question, what software bricked it? And is it bricked, or just locked? BIG difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts