Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
06TrailblazerSS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, been a while since I posted here...I'll get right to it. (Disclaimer: I'm pretty much novice status when it comes to mechanic work, let alone ac systems) So, about a week ago after a day out with the family (New Orleans to Biloxi, MS), came home, parked my baby and went in for a bit. Went outside a couple hours after and noticed what appeared to be an anti-freeze puddle under my front end. I've had issues with a hose under there before so I figured I'd need to look at it again...no biggie. Fast fwd to next day, my wife tells me after I get home from work that the AC is not working. I looked at it, it's blowing warm and I can't hear the compressor kick on. Asked a friend of mine to look at it, he confirmed the compressor wasn't kicking on either. Suggested I might be low on refrigerant (Since I bought her in 08, never serviced the ac). So, I bought a tall can of r-134a and we went through it...hooked up the gauges and all..during filling you could hear the compressor kick on then off, the gauges would fluctuate as the compressor would kick on/off. At one point the air inside did cool down considerably, but that was only after we went a little overboard adding refrigerant, after about 10-15 minutes it went back to warm though. What the gauges consistently were reading was the low pressure was too high and the high pressure side was too low. I've replaced the low pressure sensor and am looking at possibly replacing the compressor. I'm thinking that the puddle I saw might be refrigerant...silly question, but is this a plausible suspicion? Before I go out and replace the compressor, I read that there's a dye kit that detects leaks in the hoses, I think that's the next step. If anyone has ANY useful info on with I ought to be doing/not doing please let me know. It's stupid hot here in NOLA! Thanks.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
The green tint is the dye. It has been put in your system by someone who serviced it befor. Nomally the refrigerant is a clear color. You need to find somebody that has a freon sniffer if you cant see where the green is leaking fro. (If it sprayed all over) Usually tho you can see where its coming from. Find the leaking culprit and fix it. The vacuum the system out and retest your pressures b4 buying a new compressor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts