Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
ProCharged Camaro
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to rock falls a few weeks ago to run the truck, was aiming for low 14's but couldnt make it. the truck is completely stock other than the tune. 2.2 60' seemed slow. what are others with stock AWD's running?

going with efans and either a cam or a converter over the winter, not sure which is more "bang for the buck"...

heres a link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7j8Vuow3Is

·
Whiskey Tango...
AWD TBSS
4,084 Posts
Depending on the conditions that could be in line with other stock awd's. You will get more performance at the track with a trans/converter. My 60ft dropped over 3/10 in similar weather after the trans & converter. That 2.2 is a little slow you should see 2-teens if the weather is decent.

·
Registered
ProCharged Camaro
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did a tune already. it was a sled before the tune. map is at 92kpa at WOT, which would make me believe a cold air intake would help too.

for each run i brought it up to stall speed and then floored it and let of the brake pedal at the same time when the last light lit up. i was going to try to "shock" the converter on my next runs but someone's engine spilled its guts on the track and postponed racing for an hour, i had to leave before gettign another run in.

converters are so expensive! oh well, looks like the best mod for the money. and like the saying goes, you get what you pay for!

ordering efan kit now....

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
did a tune already. it was a sled before the tune. map is at 92kpa at WOT, which would make me believe a cold air intake would help too.

for each run i brought it up to stall speed and then floored it and let of the brake pedal at the same time when the last light lit up. i was going to try to "shock" the converter on my next runs but someone's engine spilled its guts on the track and postponed racing for an hour, i had to leave before gettign another run in.

converters are so expensive! oh well, looks like the best mod for the money. and like the saying goes, you get what you pay for!

ordering efan kit now....
CAI would help. Sounds like the tune could be better too. Were you running a high altitude?

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS AWD
70 Posts
looked like slow motion out of the hole a converter is a must on an AWD truck 3600 for best results you be suprised what a difference it would make.Converter over cam any day.Get a hold of 262 he could tune your truck and i believe he has custom converters great guy knows his stuff.

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts
Launch off idle, drain the washer fluid, inflate the tires to about 48-50 lbs, let it cool down between runs.....and check the tune.

·
Registered
GTP soon TBSS
173 Posts
Ran 2 weeks ago for the first time, bone stock only K&N drop in.

First run - 14.425 @ 94.93 60" 2.18s - Launched on Idle
Second - 14.203 @ 95.42 60" 2.108s - Launched from 1000-1200 RPM off foot brake

EDIT: I have an 06 AWD as well and both passes with Trac and Stabilitrac off.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS
1,935 Posts
98mph is decent mph for a stock awd without weight red. Get a converter and supporting trans mods. Then give 262 a call if he's in your area.

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
went to rock falls a few weeks ago to run the truck, was aiming for low 14's but couldnt make it. the truck is completely stock other than the tune. 2.2 60' seemed slow. what are others with stock AWD's running?

going with efans and either a cam or a converter over the winter, not sure which is more "bang for the buck"...
Judging by the bolded part in your post there is a little room for concern. Now we have to take into consideration that these trucks are known for some killer heat soak issues. The 60' is a little slow but if your truck is down on timing from being artifically heat soaked then that would make sense along with the mph being down for a tune only truck.

Realistically a tune only awd truck should be around the 14.0 range.

Were you idling in the staging lanes for a prolonged period of time? Did you let the truck cool off for more than 15 mins before passes?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
125 Posts
98mph is decent mph for a stock awd without weight red. Get a converter and supporting trans mods. Then give 262 a call if he's in your area.
x2 on the mph I ran a 13.53 1.9 60ft at 99 mph my best and a couple months ago 13.8 with a 2.0 60ft 98mph. Traction issues ther has to be more in my big p.o.s but I have circle d verter and tune.. But u have a decent mph

·
Registered
ProCharged Camaro
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drove an hour to the track, parked in the pits for about 15 minutes, ran one run, parked for 25 minutes and did 2nd run. engine was heat soaked for sure.

I am worried about breaking the trans if i do a converter.... but it needs to be faster than mid 14's.

i did not turn off the trac cont. but i dont think that had any relation to the slow run.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Judging by the bolded part in your post there is a little room for concern. Now we have to take into consideration that these trucks are known for some killer heat soak issues. The 60' is a little slow but if your truck is down on timing from being artifically heat soaked then that would make sense along with the mph being down for a tune only truck.

Realistically a tune only awd truck should be around the 14.0 range.

Were you idling in the staging lanes for a prolonged period of time? Did you let the truck cool off for more than 15 mins before passes?
Well my best time at the track this year is a 14.0 at 100.14mph with the mods in my sig except the converter. I thought for sure i would be around the 13.4-13.7 range all day long! I let my tbss cool off for atleast an hour in between runs. The DA at the track last time I was there was 600 and the temp was 62 degrees and still couldn't get into the 13's. I have a hard time believing a tune only awd will run 14.0 but I could be wrong. I've got some adjustments to do!

·
Registered
ProCharged Camaro
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ordered Efan kit on monday. trying to decide which converter to buy now. want 3200 stall but am not willing to spend the BIG $$ on a PTB or SSTB.

·
Registered
ProCharged Camaro
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be doing the install myself. I agree with what you said about getting what you pay for. I have no illusions that a $300 converter is close in construction and capability to a $700 converter, however I am convinced that my current set up doesnt require the finer model. I could be wrong, but I think the Cricle D 3200 stall converter for $375 or a converter from 262 (?) for around the same money would fit my needs and yet still maintain my vehicles reliability. I have yet to dig very deep in the converter research, so Im only speaking from my limited knowledge. It sounds like EVERYONE that has a ptb3600 or an sstb3200 is very happy! are there many who've tried and tested the lower cost converters?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts