Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

How to make HIDs fit in stock fog housing. for less than $5

15K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  Meltdown211 
#1 · (Edited)
I had some work done on my truck and had to have my blazer fogs removed because they hit my heat exchanger. This reallllly bugged me. I had HIDs in them and because of how straight the blazers were WITH the HIDs in, it wouldnt work, and I was not removing the heat exchanger...

This option may help those who either cant find blazer fog housings or just cant afford them at this moment But still want to run HIDs in the stock housings. The problem is that the HIDs are too long to fit in the stock housings (stock housings curve at a 90 degree angle where the blazers are straight).

These are Jettstream 6K fogs and 6K lows...

First off, remove both fog lights from there location under the bumper (there are other write ups on this so I wont go into how to remove the fogs).

Once you have the stock housing out, they should look like this.

[/URL]

Remove the 4 screws on top of the housing, around the area where you insert the fog light.

Once the screws are removed, pull of the top of the fog housing as shown.

This is what you have to work with.

From Lowes, grab these plastic diverter washers from the hardware section. They are approximately 1 inch around and fit perfectly on top of the hole. This is a spacer to give the top of the HID bulb room inside the housing. These are located in the bath section near the sinks and faucets. If you cannot find these diverter washers, just grab the nylon washer from the drawers at lowes. You may have to drill them out a small amount.

Discard the original screws and replace with these, they are 4-40x1/2 Machine Combo round zinc w/nut (they are $1) Do not over tighten and some loctite is recommended to hold them in place. They will snug down nicely.

Once all the screws are in, it should look like this. It will now give the bulb an 8th to a 1/4 additional space inside the housing so the bulb does not hit the top of the housing any more. I will put some black silicone around the gap to keep it water tight.

These are my HIDs using the stock fog housing and not worried about a cracked bulb. Light output is great.

Replace the housings and install your HIDs. Total cost $2.39

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Yea but he is saying his HIDs fit in the STOCK fogs. All depends on the length of the HID bulb. Honestly, your bulb probably was "cocked" if you use HIDs in your stockers or was not seated properly in the three bottom holes.

If you twist the bulb in at an angle, not engaging all three tabs the bulb will go up inside, but the chances of it falling out or water getting in is much greater. A small tape measure will show the bulb is 1/8 too long and will hit the top of the housing. its simple math. People HAVE made them work before but most have ruined a good bulb as they dont realize its shorter than the bulb.

Most end up using too much pressure and cracking the bulb while trying to twist it into the housing. Some just get lucky...

#19 ·
Nice writeup! Thanks for posting for those that cannot get the blazer fogs.

But 1 issue with spacing the HID bulb I see is the bulb center may not be in the center of the fog light reflector, so optimal light may not be outputting? :dunno: Would like to see a comparison of light with the HID spaced and not spaced.

#20 · (Edited)
Well ill have to get that at some point. I may be installing these back in my truck tomorrow. There will NOT be a comparision of "with and without the spacers" as I wont be installing and uninstalling these for my amusement. Bottom line, this is if you HAVE to have fog lights and either cant find them or afford them at this point, you have a solution.

In regards to the light output, thats like saying "keep your seat back in the upright position for landing" The 1/8 inch isnt going to make much of a difference. Its a $2 fix. Not a lot of engineering went into it...LOL. If you drive in the fog that much, this is probably not the right solution either.

Here is what happens when you try to insert the HIDS into the holes with the stock housing. The white tube presses against the back of the housing and as the truck drives and bounces, it gets smashed, sometimes it happens when you just try to insert the bulb. You bulb will look like this when you remove it. The pressure causes the center to snap and the bulb goes out. It

[/URL]

#25 ·
Blazer fogs have a different lens which amplifies the light output on our fog lights. They also have a different "input" as to where the bulb fits into the housing. Blazers have a "straight" input where our stock housings have a 90 degree input. With Blazers, the long bulb from an HID will fit with no problem as it will slide in, typically an HID bulb will not fit due to its shape in a stock housing and crack the bulb when you try to put it in a stock housing

Blazer fog light

Stock fog light (you can see the 90 degree in the housing on this stock housing)

#30 ·
lihgts

hey ppl you can also do it for free what I did was removed the fog unscrew the 4 screws get 4 little washers stick them between the housing and the cover put the screws back in and done there is enough clearance to put the light in and jus seal itdone:boff::coolthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.