Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

TSB on fuel level sensors

17K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  chrisp847 
#1 ·
Service Information

2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - 4WD | Envoy, Rainier, TrailBlazer, Ascender VIN S/T Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2702460
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10054A: Special Coverage Adjustment - Fuel Level Sensor Contact Wear - (Aug 16, 2011)

Subject:

10054A - Special Coverage Adjustment - Fuel Level Sensor Contact Wear

Models:

2005-2007 Buick Rainier

2005-2006 Chevrolet SSR, TrailBlazer EXT

2005-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

2005 GMC Envoy XUV

2005-2006 GMC Envoy XL

2005-2007 GMC Envoy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Warranty Transaction Information section in this bulletin has been revised to include detailed information for submitting transactions. Please discard all copies of bulletin 10054, issued August 2011.

Condition

On some 2005 model year GMC Envoy XUV; 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet SSR, TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy XL; 2005-2007 model year Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, and GMC Envoy vehicles, the contacts on the fuel level sensor may wear prematurely. This wear could cause the fuel gauge to read empty after filling the tank and cause the malfunction indicator light (MIL) to illuminate. As the fuel level in the tank drops, the MIL may turn off and the gauge may display a reading; however, the reading may indicate a slightly higher level of fuel than what is in the tank. Eventually as the contacts continue to wear, the fuel gauge will stop working and the MIL will illuminate continuously.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to install a new design fuel level sensor. GM will pay 50% of eligible repair expenses, (parts and labor) and the customer will be responsible for the remaining 50%. The amount paid shall be calculated with reference to dealers' already approved warranty parts and labor rates.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 10, 2011, are covered by at 50% by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 10, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2005 model year GMC Envoy XUV; 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet SSR, TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy XL; 2005-2007 model year Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, and GMC Envoy vehicles.

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Part Number

Description

Qty/ Vehicle

Sensor Kit, Fuel Lvl (Envoy, TrailBlazer, Rainier)

Sensor Kit, Fuel Lvl (Envoy XL, Envoy XUV, SSR, TrailBlazer EXT)

Service Procedure

Verify that the fuel level sensor requires replacement. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information in SI.

If the fuel level sensor does NOT require replacement, no further action is required. Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage.

If the fuel level sensor requires replacement, refer to Fuel Level Sensor Replacement in SI.

Customer Reimbursement - For US

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer by September 30, 2012, unless otherwise specified by state law. If this is not convenient for the customer, they may mail the completed form and all required documents to the GM Customer Assistance Center. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

All reasonable customer paid receipts should be considered for reimbursement. The amount to be reimbursed will be limited to 50% of reasonable repair costs for eligible repairs.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

A completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form. This form is mailed to the customer or can be obtained through GM GlobalConnect.

The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.

Paid receipt confirming the amount of the repair expense, a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

Important: If a reimbursement request is denied, dealers MUST provide the customer with an explanation, in writing, as to why the request was denied. GM expects all reimbursement requests to be approved or denied within 30 days of receipt. If the denial was due to missing documents, the customer can resubmit when the missing documents are obtained, as long as it is still within the allowed reimbursement period.

Claims for customer reimbursement on previously paid repairs are to be submitted as required by GWM.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by September 30, 2012. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 193,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

- Proof of ownership at time of repair.

- Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

All reasonable customer paid receipts should be considered for reimbursement. The amount to be reimbursed will be limited to 50% of reasonable repair costs for eligible repairs.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2005 model year GMC Envoy XUV; a 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet SSR, TrailBlazer EXT or GMC Envoy XL; a 2005-2007 model year Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy, part of our commitment to you as a member of the General Motors family is providing you with important information whenever a specific condition may affect your vehicle.

Please do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described in the next paragraph.

In some of these vehicles, the fuel level sensor may wear prematurely. This wear could cause the fuel gauge to read empty after filling the tank and cause the Service Engine and Low Fuel lights to illuminate. Illumination of these lights is accompanied by a chime when the vehicle is started. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center (DIC), you will also see the Fuel Level Low message displayed. As the fuel level in the tank drops, the lights, DIC message, and chimes may turn off and the gauge may display a reading; however, the reading may indicate a slightly higher level of fuel than what is in the tank. Eventually as the sensor continues to wear, the fuel gauge will stop working, always read empty, and the Service Engine and Low Fuel lights will illuminate continuously, again accompanied by a chime when the vehicle is started and a Low Fuel Message in the DIC (if so equipped).

Even though your vehicle may no longer be covered by its New Vehicle Limited Warranty and you may not be the vehicle’s original owner, we still want to help you correct this condition if it occurs on your vehicle.

GM will pay fifty percent (50%) of the total cost for an authorized Buick, Chevrolet, or GMC dealer to repair your vehicle if it has the condition described above. Your dealer will perform the required repair according to the labor time and part cost established by GM for warranty repairs. As you may know, dealer labor rates vary significantly from one part of the country to another, so it's difficult to accurately determine your actual savings, but it will be at least 50% of what you would pay to have this repair done for a vehicle that is beyond the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.

If you agree to accept this offer, you will be responsible for the other half of the dealer’s repair bill. This offer to equally share the repair cost only applies if your vehicle is currently exhibiting this condition or exhibits the condition within a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date your vehicle was originally placed in service.

This offer will significantly reduce costs you might incur if your vehicle has this condition and is beyond the terms of its new vehicle warranty. This offer is also applicable to customer reimbursement requests related to this condition. If you have previously paid to have your fuel level sensor replaced, GM will reimburse you fifty percent (50%) of any reasonable and customary repair cost. Additionally, if you used an extended warranty or after-market service contract to pay for your fuel level sensor to be replaced, GM will pay fifty percent (50%) of any reasonable and customary deductible cost. If either of these scenarios applies to your situation, please complete the enclosed reimbursement request form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by September 30, 2012, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products. We also want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

See less See more
#8 ·
Did mine my self in about an hour, I got the sensor for $38. I would recommend getting a few extra fuel line retainer clips though. The clips were so brittle a couple of them instantly cracked when I tried to remove them. For $18 I replaced all of them while it was apart.

#9 ·
Mine just did it on my last fill-up. Gauge went to E, low fuel warning came on and the MIL lit up. After about 15 miles of driving, everything went back to normal. On next start-up the MIL went off. Glad I bought an extended warranty. Mine's gonna cost $0. Actually, since I'm a dealer tech, I'll be getting paid to fix it. :D:D:D

#16 ·
Odd, I went to the grocery store last night with about 1/4 tank of gas, when I started it to head back home the low fuel light came on and tank read below empty. I turned the key off, back on, off, back on and it went back to 1/4 and is reading correctly now. The MIL never came on though.

Looks like I may be replacing the sensor pretty soon. Bummer, I hate dropping tanks. Where can I get the best deal on the sensor? (no way in hell am I paying a dealer to do the work).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.