Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

AI heads..232 or 226

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  19DirtyBird99 
#1 · (Edited)
Im not looking to break the bank this year so im looking to send my stock heads to advanced induction, and have my stock intake ported by peak. What would you guys recommend for stock cubes, the 232s or 226?

#4 ·
what if the cam was changed? are the 226 still better for stock cubes?

#6 ·
You'll love what AI does for you...Phil is fantastic. It seems like I'm mailing off a couple sets of heads per week to him. Don't get me wrong, Richard @ WCCH is great too but I am spoiled having AI practically in my backyard.

Here's a gorgeous set of 280cc LSA's I just got back from him last week.

We just wrapped that ZL1 up on Monday, with our cam and some other mods it laid down 761 rwhp & 737 ft/lbs tq on 93 octane only (link if you are interested).

#12 ·
Bumping this thread to ask this: obviously a set of cnc'd aftermarkets would the best set up but when working with in the constraints of a budget, would the AI 226's be the choice for a 402 stroker or should the 232's get the nod in a stroker set up with a medium size cam and 3600 converter? Thanks!

#13 · (Edited)
Umm
I don't think I understand?
Which isn't out of the ordinary!
Q:
1)What does the stall rpm of the converter have to do with the heads ability to flow?
2) CN'd aftermarkets? Like what and for what size engine? Are you talking about mongoose heads or AFR's?
3) what are the requirements for CFM of flow on your 402? They aren't the same as someone else's 402ci engine. That's why two different rigs can have almost identical builds and have much different tq curves making different peak power

The variable's I see as being relevant are;
the amount of cubic inches the engine is, the amount of cc's the heads are, the cam's lift and duration, the compression ratio and if you're running a lot of nitrous or a boosted application.
These are the considerations that will define what amount of intake and exhaust flow you need.

As far as I know...You can have the stock 243's ported out to flow enough for a 402ci N/A engine but the L92 D port heads flow better right out of the box so most guys will just choose those and use a different intake and have the heads worked over if need be, or if budget isn't too much of an issue you'll see guys running AFR's or something equivilant.

Just asking "what's the best flowing head", or even obtaining the best flowing head doesn't necessarily mean that head is the best option for you to use. You want to achieve volumetric efficiency in every aspect, not just have the "most" of anything

And there is much more to it than all that, like the bore size the head is designed for, quench and valve angle too

Someone correct me here if I'm off base
:popcorn3:

:cheers1:

#16 ·
I am not knocking Matt in any way. The guy is proven and much more intelligent than I could ever be in this trade. I think you can suggest what would work best with a current setup, but I think Matt would agree that it would be better to spec a cam to the setup, and not the setup to the cam.

Jason was not responding to the OP either he was responding to Donny.

#19 ·
Cheers brother. I say posts like this, because every thread I have clicked on today, has been guys doing nothing but looking for reasons to brake balls. Once you take a step back and take a look from an outsiders perspective this site does not offer much anymore other than a place for guys to take out there anger from their daily lives on unsuspecting guys who may be a little less knowledgable. Its too bad, I really enjoyed this forum at one point and time...

#21 ·
Wanted to add that I had questions about AI / Phils 218 vs 226 packages as well with the new 243s I purchased, emailed him on saturday and got a reply the next day on sunday with a very detailed email answering all my questions. Matt has provided the same excellent service as well:cheers1: Bottom line any questions with AI email and Phil will get right back. I plan on going with their 226 as it makes common sense down the road. Good Luck:2cents:

#25 ·
Yeah i emailed Phil last week and he was super quick to reply with answers. I'll hopefully be sending him some heads next Monday.

Reactions: Jake747
#22 ·
There is some bad info in here.

Heads are important and a bigger runner is not always better and in fact can sometimes hurt.

I would take an AFR 230 over a 232 stock casting anyday, especially one that has been worked beyond the cnc program. You have to keep the whole package in mind and that extends to what vehicle the motor is in too.

Lighter vehicles can give up some response and low end tq for high end hp and not miss it. A tbss needs the low/mid range. An afternarket casting helps here because the runner does not have to be as large as a factory casting does to reach required flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.