Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

AWD vs RWD

23K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  DVelasco68 
#1 ·
So im considering a change from my 2wd TBSS to an AWD. My decision to trade up begins with the agonizing electrical issues ive had with my 2006 TBSS. Everything from A/C problems to lock/window switches ect...Ive seen the AWDs prove themselves in the snow but Ive also heard the risk of transfer case fails becoming common on AWDs. So is an AWD any less reliable...help me out????

#3 ·
I have an awd and its had some warranty issues, but for the most part I would have to say they are same in reliability. I bought an awd because I live in Ontario and we get a tone of snow, if I lived in texas or somewhere hot all year round I would of went with 2wd.

#8 ·
Same here in Illinois with the snow. My cousin has an AWD and his is awesome in the snow but he did have some warranty issues with his trans off the start but thats not to say he wasnt hard on it after he bought it. I really want to buy an AWD but just that small fear of being stuck with a bill for a trans removal. Not sure if im over-reacting or this is that serious of an issue

#4 ·
Best bet for any SS owner is invest in a BUILT transmission

#6 ·
:iamwithstupid:Ya forgot to mention that!

#11 ·
You are SOOO DOOMED!!!.......i hope you were knocking on something when you typed that.

I also have AWD and have a very well built tranny from Greg at Phoenix trans. I've had zero issues with the truck aside from some hard part failures in the trans that Greg covered and took care of. If you ever run into issues you just do what you gotta do. I found a guy at the stealership that pulls and reinstalls my tranny for $150 as a side job.

#15 ·
It's not just the awd tranny's it all of them, they are the weak link in a tbss!

#18 ·
I think it would be cool if you put one of the t-case's that has the auto 4wd. So you can still do your burnout in 2 wheel then switch to 4 wheel in poor weather.

#19 ·
Being young N dumb its probably best that I have AWD or else I would be buying new (rear) tires every month lol

#22 ·
Not trying to threadjack and I know I'm kind of digging this up, but............

Hypothetical question, if I buy a TBSS and just daily drive it (not beating the hell out of it and driving it pretty much on trips and vacations, what would be the best bet for drivetrain options? RWD or AWD. I'm worried more about which one will be more troublesome.

#23 ·
Your in MI, so if you'll be driving in the snow go with AWD... There are quite a few on here with 100K+ miles RWD & AWD that haven't had any troubles...

Mine is 4+ years old, and I've gone through a battery (warranty0, ignition switch, and driver side window regulator... but I only have 12,500 miles on my TBSS...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.