Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

Aeroforce Gauge

5K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  jetttstream 
#1 ·
I am thinking of buying the aeroforce gauge and i was wondering what you guys that have it think about it and where the best place to buy it from?

Thanks

#15 · (Edited)
Give me a break rrmccabe, 3 times? I think the objective review would be pretty much a tie, depending on what's important to you. I can't stand when someone skews facts to further promote their own agenda. I don't know much about the ss-shootout site but it's full of dashhawk promos and their vendors. No wonder the comparison is so inaccurate and biased.

The Aeroforce gauge has fan controls, it does the CASE re-learn, and it can reset the fuel trims. It has had these for months.

Don't minimize the advantage of having analog inputs for additional sensors. The Dashhawk does not have this. I'm reading A/F ratio, boost from my supercharger, and intercooler fluid temperature on the Aeroforce gauge. Don't fool yourself (or others) into thinking this isn't important. We've had these for 2 years.

The Aeroforce has high intensity LED's that can be used as warning lights when a parameter is beyond a safe threshold, including analog inputs. I believe the competition may alter the display to perform the same function but this is not nearly as attention grabbing as separate high intensity lights.

Keep in mind that these are gauges, meant to be installed full time in a vehicle. Neither of these are true scan tools, and looks are important to some people, especially on a vehicle like the Trailblazer SS. The Aeroforce has a significant advantage in the looks department.

Using cyclic scan you can read 8 parameters on our gauge without touching anything. It's a lot easier to read these 8 on our brighter display than even 6 on the Dashhawk.

How about being a little more realistic about the parameter support as well. Those 100 parameters you mentioned include things like absolute throttle position A through F, wideband sensor 1-8, alcohol %, EGR error, plus numerous others that don't apply or are irrelevant to 99% or the people who would use this type of product. Come on, if your'e going to analyze a problem that in depth that you need to monitor absolute throttle position E and EGR error get a real scan tool.

Our gauges came out almost two years before the Dashhawk, we're the innovators, not the imitation. The Aeroforce gauge is also made right here in the USA. I have not heard where the Dashhawk is made.

The ideal solution in my opinion is to have something that integrates well with the interior and looks good, as well as a real scan tool for in depth analysis (which neither of the gauges are). With the Aeroforce there's no need to remove it at car shows or cruise-ins, it enhances the interior rather than detracts from it.

Todd

#19 ·
The Aeroforce has high intensity LED's that can be used as warning lights when a parameter is beyond a safe threshold, including analog inputs. I believe the competition may alter the display to perform the same function but this is not nearly as attention grabbing as separate high intensity lights.
You don't think the screen flashing and an audible ALARM isn't attention grabbing?:dunno:

Keep in mind that these are gauges, meant to be installed full time in a vehicle.
True for Aeroforce, but not Dashhawk ... it is very easy to move between vehicles (and it is encouraged).:2cents: Different intended use ... DashHawk is more along the lines of an XM unit or GPS unit or something, Aeroforce is more along the lines of a "built in" gauge. Both work well depending on your needs.

Using cyclic scan you can read 8 parameters on our gauge without touching anything. It's a lot easier to read these 8 on our brighter display than even 6 on the Dashhawk.
In your opinion ... (it's seven BTW and it can show up to 11 separate screens with up to 7 PIDs each with a key press to change screens. For similar readability, 4 PIDs per screen would be more legible, granted ...)

Different approaches to the same problem (only so much real estate to display the data).

...100 parameters you mentioned include things like absolute throttle position A through F, wideband sensor 1-8, alcohol %, EGR error, plus numerous others that don't apply or are irrelevant to 99% or the people who would use this type of product. Come on, if your'e going to analyze a problem that in depth that you need to monitor absolute throttle position E and EGR error get a real scan tool.
Because it'll show something different? No? Then it's a moot point ....

To be more accurate, the amount of parms supported by ANY DashHawk (and not a specific one for a specific vehicle) is now closing in on 300 PIDs including many many specific PIDs for many makes and manufacturers. It autoconfigures to display the available PIDs for that car when you plug it in. Again, a difference in approach ... a nice gauge that can be tailored to an installation or a more "generic" display that can be used in different vehicles. Depends on what a person wants and one or the other might be better for their intended use ...

Our gauges came out almost two years before the Dashhawk, we're the innovators, not the imitation. The Aeroforce gauge is also made right here in the USA. I have not heard where the Dashhawk is made.
It's made in Ogden, Utah US of A (and some components in Salt Lake City, some of the molding coming from Arizona, and some of printed materials coming from El Paso, TX) ... and WHO was the first one to do CAN? Not Aeroforce, BTW.:no: As you can see, it's not a matter of imitation, it's an evolution of products/platforms that existed in Edge's inventory (long before Aeroforce's gauges, if that matters). That probably wasn't a fair statement ...

Now that the shots have been answered, :argue2: :D...

You know me Todd (I'm assuming Todd King?) ... from the Buick days .... and I'm of the opinion this certainly doesn't need to be a "my Dad can beat up your Dad" type of thread. Rich's shootout site is HIS site with no ties to MSD, other than he was a very early customer and has been active at the customer level (usually hammering us with what we did wrong in the latest firmware/software version!:rofl:!) as he is with all aspects of his TBSS. If it's a tune, a torque converter, or a stereo, Rich has posted an opinion on it in his site ... and it is HIS opinion whether it's shared by others or not. The good thing about the Shoot Out site ... he does back his opinion up with his experiences and his results. I've found many valuable tidbits of what to look for as you mod your truck through his documentation and testing (to the point where I decided to forego the stall converter since I want to tow our camper ... especially with his various transmission adventures! :D)

Also, for the record ...

I'm involved here because I own a TBSS (and a GTO) and just like in the early days of the Buicks and TurboLink, I was involved in development of something I wanted for MY stuff. There were no CAN capable portable products out there when I bought my GTO in 2005 ... I was working on some neat CAN based stuff with OEMs and Edge/MSD back then. Looked at the various "toys" available in the various parts bins (Edge and MotoTron) and we cooked up a CAN device that worked pretty sweet... and eventually became the DashHawk.

In the end, I agree with your earlier assessment that it comes down to what a person wants for what they find important in THEIR vehicle or vehicles. They are both fine products and there's room for a lot of opinions and options amongst users. I have a lot of respect for your efforts and understand the pride you feel for what you've done, but before throwing stones you should look around you.

#6 ·
cool, thanks for the link! so, the dashhawk can control efans? like turn them on? i know alvin has a switch for the LS1 fan, but i was interested in the new C6 fans he's got. can it control those? and when it says 'control' aftermarket fans, does that just mean manually switching them on and off? thanks again

#8 ·
cool, thanks for the link! so, the dashhawk can control efans? like turn them on? i know alvin has a switch for the LS1 fan, but i was interested in the new C6 fans he's got. can it control those? and when it says 'control' aftermarket fans, does that just mean manually switching them on and off? thanks again
Controls LS1 fans but not C6 fans. And yes its a manual switching off and one. Stil have to get your truck tuned for the fans to work automatically.

#7 ·
I have the aeroforce... the gauge itself is really nice, but somewhat limited for logging purposes. If you just need a nice multipurpose gauge to monitor some key paramaters its a good choice.

The company itself however leaves A LOT to be desired. I got mine as part of a GB on silveradoss.com and a number of them were shipped defective, mine included. Took forever to get in contact with them, no support, no communicaitons, pretty much no response from them at all.

#9 ·
ok cool, thanks guys! i mean i like the aeroforce one better for mounting purposes. and i'm not sure i need all the data logging capabilities, as i'm a dumbass when it comes down to the nitty gritty of all the parameters, etc, but im thinking i'll def go with the dashhawk just for the flexibility of it. i know i need a tune for the fans, i'm just trying to get everything sorted out before i buy and regret it later. also, i was kind of thinking the LS1 fans just because of the price difference.

as for the fans, what are the big benefit of these C6 fans over LS1 except for the variable speed? is there anything else that makes them better? im not sure what PWM stands for or whatever its called, lol.

#10 ·
PWM stands for pulse width modulated. Its just the technology GM uses to control the speed. They use it in other areas as well like fuel solenoids.

But the advantage of C6 fans in my opinion is noise. The LS1 fan comes on at 100% when the truck tells it to cool. The C6 will come on and lets say 25% and only ramp up if needed. So the C6 PWM is just more intelligent. They both cool perfect.

#11 ·
ah, sweet thanks for the info. i dont go to the track much, so would it be all that great to be able to turn the fan on in staging lanes, etc? (and does running the fans in the staging lanes really help that much?) or would the noise factor be worth it to not have that control over them as far as the PWM fans are concerned? are the LS1 fans really all that loud?

#12 ·
Well they do help in the staging lanes but not that big of deal.

The LS1 fans are not "that noisy". I just prefer the PWM as they are a little more refined. They don't jolt your electrical system as much as the "typical" LS1 kit.

I said typical because Alvin at PCMforless offers a soft start module with the LS1 kits he sells so they dont come on at full FLA and blink your lights etc.

#21 ·
Well the fact I know the AeroForce now does Case learn, trim reset and fans changes my opinion on it doing 3 times more.

The DashHawk has much improved over the last several months when it comes to the logging side of things. I agree its not as robust as HPT or EFIlive's PC interface but it will log perfectly every PID in relation to the others and to the point that you can see KR in relation to RPM, ETC, speed, etc. You can also log trims compared to ETC, flow, etc.

A year ago I would have said the same thing about its use for 1/4 mile passes but as it turned out there is a larger need for it when it comes to "checking up. I could make you a very long list of people that were having problems with tunes from various vendors that have emailed me asking for help. Some frustrated as they were being jacked around by their tuners. The DashHawk was an easy way to figure out what was going on and as I mentioned above, I know 3 tuners that have adjusted tunes based on DashHawk logs.

So yes, I consider logging more important than analog inputs. Maybe this is because I have a innovate XD-16 /LC-1 combo or the fact 90% all of the problems the bolt on TBSS runs into are not related to fuel.

And one thing I want to share with you about TBSSowners.com. This site is about the owners and not the vendors. So if you see a thread that is called "Aeroforce gauge" it means nothing. Its still about helping the people. There is no vendor hijacking here.

Personally, I find it interesting how a few of the vendors have straightened up their act on this site because they dont have a chance otherwise. All good vendors stand on their own good merits here.

Otherwise we hang them !!!:jackoff:

And for the record, I personally have heard good things about your support, so that was not pointed at you.

There are just a lot of reasons (in my opinion) to choose DashHawk. And I will continue to voice that until I believe otherwise or Ken Mosher quits sending me snickers bars. Whichever comes first. LOL

PS: DH and Aero are the same price on the street.

#28 ·
Can either read the PSI from the TPMS on the wheels/tires?

Where does the 3SS' DIC get this info that the 1SS' don't have?

I was looking into adding a DIC and steering wheel and other pieces....since I wanted tranny temp.

Now I see I have other options for tranny temp...but can you see the other DIC info's?

wheel specific PSI?
oil life (%) ?
etc...

THANKS!
-Mike

#29 ·
So your truck has tire pressure sensors but no readout? I'm not really sure I understand your situation. On the TBSS those items are available from the OBD2 port ( I think), but I'd have to weigh the advantage of adding them. My philosophy is to avoid cluttering the PID list with parameters that most people would not be interested in viewing on a gauge. Since it's already on the DIC I don't see a reason to put it on the gauge at this point.

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.