Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

Cold weather effect tranny?? Soft 1-2 shift

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  TmanSC07TBSS 
#1 ·
In FL we got a 20* drop in temps the last 2 days, cuz of it I drove my hot rod yesterday and tomorrow.
Got in the TBSS tonight, started it, let it warm up in my driveway, then headed out. Pulled onto the highway and gave it a nice romp in 1st and had a very soft shift into 2nd and I got on it a few times after not WOT and the 1-2 seems a lil soft. The rest of the gears seemed fine and at part throttle it seems fine.
Could the weather be effecting it or do I need to start lookin for shops to build my tranny?

#2 ·
hmmm.. idk what would cause that.. al i know is my truck love's this WEATHER!!

#4 ·
I wouldn't send it straight to the shop... Does it continue to do it once the transmission is warm?

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't hammered it since it did it the first time but after driving around for a little bit and rly paying attention it seems to be a little soft 1-2 even at part throttle. When I got home after a little trip in 3 gear to get it warmed up I checked the fluid with it running in park and the line was at the top of the "cold" mark. So now I'm wondering if that's the problem but that also makes me wonder why it's low if that is the case.

#6 ·
If the transmission is completely warmed up, it needs to be filled to the "hot" mark. Otherwise, a soft weird 1-2 shift sounds like accumulator piston.

#7 ·
Quart low on fluid is what the problem was. Now my ? is why is it all of the sudden low on oil?? Air pocket from when my TC was installed??

#9 ·
Maybe the engine borrowed some fluid..............It may have a "Low T" diagnoses and is just embarrassed to tell anyone.

J

#11 ·
I always fill units to the low side of the hot hash marks or just below when cold. These units don't mind a little extra oil. For years this 4l6..... platform never had a cold and hot range of hash marks. Not sure why they went this but the only thing I have seen from it is you guys not having enough fluid in the trans because of it. If you are a half inch or inch over the top of full hot side of the marks don't be alarmed you will be fine. Now if your 2-3 inches over its going to puke it out the vent sooner or later which is not a good thing. I always recommend this when guys question fluid levels and its never let me down! Best of luck. Vince

#12 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!! I checked underneath and no leaks or any wet spots, the guy who did the TC seemed to think there was an air pocket. He told me the same info Vince just said about the fluid level and told me to get the level a little above the full mark. Everything seems to be fine now but I'm gonna start puttin money aside to get it built before it blows on me.

#13 ·
Fluid low will do it for sure, but cold weather is hard on a Tranny and a Motor is you get on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.